PDA

View Full Version : Burger, please!

Skybird
08-05-13, 04:19 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23529841

Okay, I do not like burgers, but for the sake of the headline...

Why not, if they get the aromes right one day and it is at least ecologically not more costly than natural beef.

Still a long way to go, no doubt. But I have no reservations against it just because it is artifical. If taste and sensory stimulus is fine, then it is fine. If it lacks, then they still have work to do.

However, this was minced meat. A solid peace of meat like for a steak - I could imagine that is still some very different business.

mapuc
08-05-13, 04:43 PM
Not the first time I have heard of this artificial burger.

However one word came into my mind-food replicator(from ST TNG)

It's just a matter of time, when Burger King, McDonalds a.s.o only serve those kind of burgers

Markus

Wolferz
08-05-13, 04:57 PM
At $330,000.00 a sandwich, I'll pass. LOL:haha:

mapuc
08-05-13, 05:25 PM

The price will drop a lot in the future, when they have made it possible to mass produce this product.

It's like the potato, the first always cost a lot..the rest I presume you know

Markus

vienna
08-05-13, 05:30 PM

Gee, this was probably a Pentagon project...

<O>

WernherVonTrapp
08-05-13, 08:34 PM
:haha: I can see it now, "Lab Burgers" at the "Ristorante Scientifica".

I'll have the Milkweed salad please.:har:

BossMark
08-06-13, 01:52 AM
Err no thanks......

Betonov
08-06-13, 02:43 AM
Why not, it's still meat grown outside the cow.

Jimbuna
08-06-13, 06:18 AM
Me neither...prefer the real thing.

WernherVonTrapp
08-06-13, 07:00 AM
Maybe we can take the beef from real cattle, and then patch them up with the lab grown tissue. No more slaughterhouses!:woot:

Wolferz
08-06-13, 07:13 AM
I like cows.

They taste great! :up:

TarJak
08-06-13, 07:15 AM
If you are going to eat artificial meat then there are much cheaper ways of doing it. Soy burgers etc. I get the technical exercise but the cost to produce compared to growing a few beans and turing that into a burger is way out of proportion. For my tastes,; Kill me a cow!

Skybird
08-06-13, 07:18 AM
Maybe we can take the beef from real cattle, and then patch them up with the lab grown tissue. No more slaughterhouses!:woot:

But that is what the whole story is about!? They used stem cells from a living cow and let them grew in the lab.

I am quite certain that they will go all the way, and that it will become affordable. Just give it time.

Any ecological or economical side-effects currently are hard to predict precisely. Just one thing is certain: man is an omnivore, not a pure carnivore or vegetarian. Our jaw and teeth and our digestion system - especially the part that we lack, compared to our cousins in the world of big apes! - tell that story quite clearly, even if many vegetarians actively close their eyes before that, for ethical concerns. The ethical argument - not bringing suffering to animals - I can understand and accept. The biological one, I refuse to take serious anymore (I did in the past, but information input forced me to correct my former views from long time ago).

Herr-Berbunch
08-06-13, 07:31 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/07/29/article-2380308-1B0A12A2000005DC-54_306x422.jpg

Wolferz
08-06-13, 07:48 AM
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb295/Wolferz_2007/PETA-hands-out-Veggie-dogs-in-DC_2_1.jpg

Well, he's gotta eat too!:D

Wolferz
08-06-13, 08:01 AM
Any ecological or economical side-effects currently are hard to predict precisely. Just one thing is certain: man is an omnivore, not a pure carnivore or vegetarian. Our jaw and teeth and our digestion system - especially the part that we lack, compared to our cousins in the world of big apes! - tell that story quite clearly, even if many vegetarians actively close their eyes before that, for ethical concerns. The ethical argument - not bringing suffering to animals - I can understand and accept. The biological one, I refuse to take serious anymore (I did in the past, but information input forced me to correct my former views from long time ago).

Also, the human brain requires massive amounts of protein in order to function properly. The easiest and most natural way to get this protein is from the flesh of animals.
There are methods for the humane slaughter of animals for food that every producer should practice. Not always the case unfortunately. So, we get the PETA members being PITAs about it.
Grill me another burger, Wern.:up: