PDA

View Full Version : From action to prediction, from person to digital model

Skybird
07-24-13, 06:29 PM
This is a Google Bot-Translation of a German website, so you have to adapt to the unique style and expression. :D

http://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.faz.net%2Faktuell%2Ffeuilleton% 2Fdebatten%2Fueberwachung%2Franga-yogeshwar-im-gespraech-mit-dietmar-dath-rechnen-sie-damit-lebenslang-ein-verdaechtiger-zu-sein-12279206.html

If you can understand German a bit, I nevertheless recommend to read the German original (link below). ;)

It is about how we collaborate with the monitors to create our own digital alter egos which then allow to shift the focus of awareness from the factual action of somebody to the prediction of his behaviour. Not established and verified facts become the deciusive criterion in criminal investigatio n and medicine, but the prophecy about what somebody will do, or the medical fate that waits for him, in the future.

This is a very two-sided sword. Enterteinment cult and the general consumerism climate prevent us from reflecting baout it. And I think that is not good, but probably wanted.

The German original text is here, from the FAZ:

http://www.faz.net/aktuell/feuilleton/debatten/ueberwachung/ranga-yogeshwar-im-gespraech-mit-dietmar-dath-rechnen-sie-damit-lebenslang-ein-verdaechtiger-zu-sein-12279206.html

Ranga Yogeshwar is a well-known science magazine moderator on German TV. I do not like his program too much, it is not reflective and not asking questions enough for my taste, but takes scientific mainstream statements often too natural and uncritical, the show also often is all a bit profane. But occasionally he pops up in another context and then produces some thoughts that show that he could do better, if only he really wants it. This text now got my attention.

Oberon
07-24-13, 06:58 PM
People are predictable, both on the internet and off it. Obviously the persona we use on the internet is quite different to that in real life, people are more willing to express themselves with miles and miles of cable inbetween them than they are in face to face conversation. This is a double-edged sword, it gives insular and insecure people a chance to flourish in a world where only their words are judged, but equally it allows other people to abuse that same anonymity for egotistical measures. The so-called 'Internet tough guy' for example, and other associated trolls.
Of course, I suspect that the article is more leaning towards the 'Minority Report' effect, which is possible but unlikely given how much we struggle to find room for prisoners that have committed crimes, vis a vis those who are predicted to do so. One might argue that through the rise of the cost of travel and the fear of crime we have become prisoners in our own homes anyway, seeking to experience the fulfilment we seek through the internet as opposed to real life experiences. Certainly within the next fifty years (century at the most I'd say) we will find more and more people existing longer on the internet than in reality, and with that comes a whole new set of troubles, dangers and excitement. Eventually I suspect we will begin to question reality itself, when we're not downloading virtual women/men of course...

Skybird
07-25-13, 05:25 AM
, which is possible but unlikely given how much we struggle to find room for prisoners that have committed crimes, vis a vis those who are predicted to do so.

The American prison industry runs steamy and "healthy". ;) They depend on increasing and keeping high the number of prisoners, whole communities hosting private prisons need them for their survival, they create income and jobs. I touched that before, or better, this film did:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205541

Oberon
07-25-13, 07:11 AM
The American prison industry runs steamy and "healthy". ;) They depend on increasing and keeping high the number of prisoners, whole communities hosting private prisons need them for their survival, they create income and jobs. I touched that before, or better, this film did:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=205541

Touché, I guess they have more room over there than we do. Perhaps penal colonies will make a come back in the future...or we'll just reintroduce the death penalty to fix overcrowding... :hmmm: Daily Mail readers will be ecstatic. :yep:

Spiced_Rum
07-25-13, 07:49 AM
Touché, I guess they have more room over there than we do. Perhaps penal colonies will make a come back in the future...or we'll just reintroduce the death penalty to fix overcrowding... :hmmm: Daily Mail readers will be ecstatic. :yep:

It would free up cells for more felons, especially if death row had a much shorter waiting period, and it is guaranteed to be 100% successful at stopping them re-offending.:Kaleun_Los:

Oberon
07-25-13, 07:52 AM
It would free up cells for more felons, especially if death row had a much shorter waiting period, and it is guaranteed to be 100% successful at stopping them re-offending.:Kaleun_Los:

Bit harder to release them if you make a mistake though... :hmmm:

Spiced_Rum
07-25-13, 08:15 AM
But what are the chances of a mistake occurring? Forgot to add they could adopt the Chinese method harvesting any useful organs for transplants in hospital to offset prison costs.:up:

Wolferz
07-25-13, 08:18 AM
Adjustment bureau anyone?:down:

Skybird
07-25-13, 08:25 AM
But what are the chances of a mistake occurring? Forgot to add they could adopt the Chinese method harvesting any useful organs for transplants in hospital to offset prison costs.:up:

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-508_162-204759.html

On the organ donar thing I just recall that film about drugs I re-linked above.

Come to your senses, tough man. You are inviting the abuse of law and order, and even provoke it - for economical reasons.

And do not get me started about the proclaimed deterring effect of death penalties. It is almost non-existent, because most death candidates committed the crime for which they get executed in states and under conditions where the outcome - usually lethal violence - was not planned in advance. There is no deterrance against crimes committed in states of aroused affects.

The Chinese law system btw is not so much focussing on finding out about truth and guilt, but about demonstrating to the public that the state is functional, the party's political course is right, and that there are people who are called criminal and thus do not escape their penalty: everything is good - that is the message. It is a demonstrating and educating stageplay for the masses (or a tool of political intrigues, to take out rivals in the race within the power hierarchy). That has all a very different focus than Western jurisdiction.