PDA

View Full Version : Chris Froome to win Tour De France

Jimbuna
07-21-13, 08:33 AM
A fantastic achievement and the second year running a Brit has won this prestigious cycling event.

Briton Chris Froome is set to win the 100th Tour de France after finishing third on the penultimate stage.
Froome, 28, leads by over five minutes and will not be challenged on Sunday's traditional procession into Paris.
"I can't quite believe I'm sitting here in this position," said Froome. "It really is amazing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23388882

Schroeder
07-21-13, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry but I don't care anymore. Too much bloody doping in that sport. I don't believe that any of those guys are truly clean.:down:

Jimbuna
07-21-13, 09:49 AM
I think doping was more prevalent in the older competitors, the sport is trying to clean up its image and especially after the LA revelations.

BossMark
07-21-13, 10:03 AM
Another bloody knighthood then?

Jimbuna
07-21-13, 10:19 AM
No Olympic gold though :03:

Platapus
07-21-13, 10:28 AM
I think doping was more prevalent in the older competitors, the sport is trying to clean up its image and especially after the LA revelations.

I think it will take a long time before that sport can regain legitimacy in the eyes of the public.. if at all.

Jimbuna
07-21-13, 10:32 AM
I think it will take a long time before that sport can regain legitimacy in the eyes of the public.. if at all.

Agreed...but I'd like to think that will happen one day.

Jimbuna
07-21-13, 05:11 PM
Told you so :smug:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23399875

kranz
07-22-13, 05:54 AM
I think doping was more prevalent in the older competitors

don't get me wrong but I read it like this: doping was when Armstrong (US) was wining (however I remember that you tried to defend L.A in one of the threads before he confessed the truth) and now it's 'clean' or 'cleaner'. (when GBR win)

At first I wanted to write that 'professional' sport will never be clean but one of my high-school friends came to my mind. He was a 100m runner. Before important competitions he drank that syrup which increased blood's efficiency in carrying oxygen.

Amateur or professional sport - it doesn't really matter.
What differs these two is the scale.
I was thinking - yeah, just get rid of these ridiculously huge sums which professionals get, separate them from business which supports them.
But it won't do.
Even if TdF's prize was Hollande's sloppy kiss, they would still cheat.

Sure there are some people (pros/amateurs) who are clean. But as long as anti-drugs tests are one (or fifty, who knows) step behind drugs, I don't believe that sport can be clean.

Herr-Berbunch
07-22-13, 09:37 AM
I remember reading an article about LA doping, there were announcments prior to visiting for samples, frequent disappearing acts (LA 'not in', not moidered by the mob) that had no consequences at all. I'd like to think that once LA finally chatted to Oprah the rest of the sport new their game was up and that it's now clean and that the sport's drug authorities have more oomph about them. But I doubt it.

As for Froome doing it? I doubt it, maybe he has in the past, who knows? But I sincerely doubt it now, he'd be really stupid to do so - but I've thought that before about many doped sports. :-?

Well done Chris! :woot:

Skybird
07-22-13, 10:14 AM
A clean victor, no doubt. If he would sell his blood in small bottles, he could found his own cartel. :D

Cleaning the image, and the old times having been worse, eh, Jim? C'mon, you have not become that old and experienced by still believing in fairy tales.

Jimbuna
07-22-13, 10:19 AM
I'm ever the optimist Sky :03: