PDA

View Full Version : My next step in Realism options?

Kalach
07-21-13, 04:29 AM
Hi everyone, I haven't been here in quite a few years now, I got back into SH3 a few weeks ago and have done a dozen patrols in my IID canoe since then.

I'm running GWX Gold and Commander. I have almost all of the realism options selected for my game except for allowing map updates and letting the Wep Officer do all the aiming for me (No map contact update, No Wep Off Assistance and Manual Targeting System are unchecked).

Which would be the logical next step to select without putting myself too far in the deep end?

Any links or guides would be appreciated too, thanks :)

Pisces
07-21-13, 07:38 AM
I'd say get into a Flotilla that has type 7s and learn to pick out some targets out of the side of a convoy. Let's save getting deep into a convoy for the next challenge level.

But manual targeting could also be a thing to try.

Jimbuna
07-21-13, 08:56 AM
I'd agree...a bigger boat and manual targeting http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Kalach
07-21-13, 07:16 PM
I have used the Type VIIs a lot in the past, and done plenty of convoy attacks.

What I'm looking at doing next is trying to get into Manual Targeting (checking No Wep Off Assistance and/or Manual Targeting System options), or maybe trying out No Map Contact Updates.

Any advice or guides on how to get started at doing that?
I saw a video where the player had in-game 'dials' he used to get info like distance (using mast and angle measurements) and true bearing etc.
Do most people who use manual targeting get a mod like that to help or are there other ways?

Kalach
07-21-13, 09:08 PM
Ah cool, found most of my questions about targeting were covered in the naval academy torpedo mission.

Alright, off to try my first patrol with Manual Targeting :) .
If I leave WO assistance on does he do anything passively or only if I ask him for a solution/ID, I think I read I can even leave his station unmanned if I do it all myself? Though I seem to remember I can't open torpedo doors without him on station...