PDA

View Full Version : Astronaut nearly drowns during a spacewalk

eddie
07-20-13, 02:33 PM
I know it sounds crazy, but its true!

"US astronaut Chris Cassidy and Italy's Luca Parmitano were less than an hour into a planned six-hour outing when Mr Parmitano reported what seemed to be water inside his helmet."

Coolant for his spacesuit started leaking into his helmet. They believe he had between 1 to 1.5 liters inside his helmet. He couldn't see or hear, barely able to speak, as these blobs of water covered his eye, ears and mouth. He had memorized how to get back into the station, so he worked his way back to where he could get back into the airlock. I imagine that was fun trying to do that without being able to see. Finally back in the station, the other astrnauts frantically worked to get his helmet off. Once off the water floated away, and he was ok.

If that had been me, there would have been more then water in my suit!:haha:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-17/spacewalk-cut-short-after-water-leaks-into-astronauts-helmet/4825472

in_vino_vomitus
07-20-13, 02:38 PM
Scary....

Red October1984
07-20-13, 02:47 PM
The only thought I have is

HOW THE HELL DOES THIS HAPPEN?! :hmmm:

soopaman2
07-20-13, 02:48 PM
Had to be scary, its not like you can wave the floaters away from your face with your hand, and every breath you risked sucking in a globule of coolant.

Give Nasa back it's funding, we do not need any more Abrahms tanks, we need a viable orbital delivery vehicle, and (obviously) newer suits.

Unless you want to keep paying the Russians for our space travel.

First to the moon, need the Russians to get us up there today.

Pathetic.

Stealhead
07-20-13, 03:11 PM

Well coolant leaking inside the suit as the article said.You see in space the temperature can very greatly from freezing cold to pretty hot so the space suits have a coolant/heating systems obviously this one leaked.

Space flight/operations are pretty damn dangerous many things can go wrong.

Jimbuna
07-20-13, 03:47 PM
Thankfully it all ended well :yep:

CaptainHaplo
07-20-13, 03:50 PM
I honor every astronaut we have ever launched (or attempted to launch) into space....

Your sitting there - looking straight up and as the count goes to 0 you remember - this thing was made by the lowest bidder.....

Platapus
07-20-13, 03:55 PM
Its not like he could just open up and drain the fluid out. :o

I wonder if a flooded helmet is part of training.... it might be now. :yep:

Stealhead
07-20-13, 04:18 PM
Thankfully it all ended well :yep:

I have a great idea for NASA.Why not change the coolant from whatever water mixture it is now to beer?That way if there is a leak again the astronaut can just drink the floating beer.

em2nought
07-20-13, 10:52 PM
I have a great idea for NASA.Why not change the coolant from whatever water mixture it is now to beer?That way if there is a leak again the astronaut can just drink the floating beer.

Better yet Tang, they could revive the brand and fund NASA off sales.

It's just a shame it was an Italian, would have been much funnier if it was a Mexican that started to feel wet on the back of his neck. :D

Jimbuna
07-21-13, 05:50 AM

I'll certainly subscribe to that idea :)

Platapus
07-21-13, 09:23 AM
It's just a shame it was an Italian, would have been much funnier if it was a Mexican that started to feel wet on the back of his neck. :D

I think Alan Shepherd experienced just that. :D

Platapus
07-21-13, 09:30 AM

Stealhead to Capcom: We have a (snicker) problem.

Capcom to Stealhead: Lemme guess. Another one of your "suit coolant leaks" emergencies..... again?

Stealhead to Capcom: Afirm (belch)

Capcom to Flight: I knew that beer idea was a mistake.

Stealhead to Capcom: I gotta pee!

:D

Wolferz
07-21-13, 09:56 AM

Don't forget. Every government contract is awarded to and filled by the lowest bidder.:hmmm:

If they had put some vino in his coolant system, there wouldn't have been a problem at all. :03::haha::up:

Dowly
08-27-13, 01:22 PM
Video of the astronauts testing the suit, still leaking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEZ0Yk3nUSU

ISS astronauts Luca Parmitano and Chris Cassidy tested the suit aboard the
International Space Station and found that the helmet continues to leak
water. The cause is still under investigation

eddie
08-27-13, 01:27 PM
Well Dowly, I wonder how long it will take NASA to realize they should send up a new suit on the next flight!

soopaman2
08-27-13, 01:40 PM
...A Chinese company declines to comment.

Jimbuna
08-27-13, 04:29 PM
...A Chinese company declines to comment.

LOL :)