PDA

View Full Version : moving sh3 to different drive

Darth777
07-12-13, 02:30 PM
My C drive is getting full, is it possible to move the whole C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII to a different disc and just change the shortcut targets of JSGME and SH3 Commander?

VONHARRIS
07-12-13, 11:15 PM
Not exactly but it can be done using Multish3 which allows you to have multiple copies of SH3 in a PC.

MultiSH3 can be found in the download section of subsim

irish1958
07-13-13, 08:08 AM
My C drive is getting full, is it possible to move the whole C:\Program Files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII to a different disc and just change the shortcut targets of JSGME and SH3 Commander?
Yes, it can be done; the drive must be fast with a good connection. I have run the game from an external eSata hard drive using windows 7 and am currently running both SH 3&4 from a thumb drive using USB 3.0 and windows 8.
I currently start the game from the drive, not by changing the shortcut; but when I used eSata on my old computer I did change the shortcut.

BigWalleye
07-13-13, 08:37 AM
irish1958, did you do an install on the external drive or just a copy?

irish1958
07-13-13, 10:44 AM
irish1958, did you do an install on the external drive or just a copy?
I copied it to my external hard drive with my old computer. On my windows 8, I installed it on my flash drive.
Placing the short-cut on your desktop should work on both installs;but I could never get it to work on windows 8.
To clarify: I can get SHCMRD to work with a short-cut on the desktop and start SH3 without any problem. Since I always start SH3 with CMDR this is no problem.
I suspect it is my anti virus that prevents SH3 from starting.
SH4 should also be able to start from the desktop, but I don't play it a lot so I always want to mess with the mods and I find it easier to just go to the thumb drive.

Darth777
07-16-13, 04:07 PM
I copied SH3 to a different hard drive, uninstalled SH3 Commander, and reinstalled to the same hard drive, and reset JSGME icon to target the new drive, and then disabled all mods. Then I tried to run SH3 one time per Commander instructions, and it starts to load but I get the error "failed to start because drawlib.dll was not found. I tried loading all the .dlls in system 32, but when I got to "binkw32.dll" the error said it was in the wrong place. Yikes!

I am trying not to reinstall because it was a real hassle last time moding the program to update to v.1.4 and then no disk.

irish1958
07-16-13, 08:26 PM
If you go to the SHIII folder on your new hard drive, can you launch SHIII from there by clicking on the SHIII icon (I.e., the exe file)?

Red October1984
07-16-13, 08:43 PM
Whenever I move a game, I just copy it's main folder into a directory I make and change my shortcuts in my game shortcut folder. :hmmm:

Darth777
07-17-13, 11:33 AM
If you go to the SHIII folder on your new hard drive, can you launch SHIII from there by clicking on the SHIII icon (I.e., the exe file)?

That's what I did, and got all the error messages.

irish1958
07-17-13, 07:02 PM
That's what I did, and got all the error messages.
I don't have any further suggestions. My install complex let me run the game from my2* hard drive.
I think your best bet would be to uninstall SHIII, purchase a new game disk (about $10) which is star force free and patched to 1.4b, and reinstall SH3 and GWX onto the new drive. Save the "mod" folder and just copy that into your install. The game should start if the connection is fast enough. As noted above, you will need the GWX/CMDR files installed for CMDR to be used.
Or you could move some other files to your secondary hard drive to create space.

Darth777
07-18-13, 02:08 PM
I finally got it to work by restoring a backup of the file before I had added sh3 v. 5.1. I have it installed on my E: drive (which is a large internal drive), and deleted from my C: drive giving me 17.8 GB of free space.

Now maybe I will reinstall 5.1????:hmm2: