PDA

View Full Version : GWX campaign questions

maurice076
06-16-13, 10:47 AM
Hello fellow submariners,I've played SHIII vanilla for a while,now thanks to this forum It's now GWX3.0 for me:yeah:I have been reading all I can,when I can,but I still come up with the odd question once in a while.

I started over again,now I'm on my third patrol and have read the gwx manual,for the most part.It says the ships Gneisenau and Scharnhorst are scripted in the game.Operation Berlin has started,I am near their actual routes taken.Will I find them+should I help them?I'm almost sure but not 100%.Thank you for your help.I'm sure I'll have more Q's in the future.

maurice076
06-16-13, 09:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out another one.Same patrol-looking for the Gneisenau+scharnhorst,I arrived at the Belchan supply ship,I'm pretty sure they stoppd here too.I was wondering should I refuel+reload while waiting for them?

Thanks for any help.

p.s. Stopped at Reykjavik and took on some convoys.Much FUN.

TabbyHunter
06-16-13, 09:51 PM
Due to my preference to keep patrols under 3 weeks, I rarely have a need to refuel and reload, and that I beleive may make you miss the warships. I know the battle of the denmark strait is takes place where it should in GWX...So I see no reason why you wont find your ships.

Cheers mate, and welcome to the grey wolves!:salute:

maurice076
06-17-13, 08:48 AM
Thanks Tabbyhunter,I havn't found them yet-visibility also poor-but still looking.I thought it would be neat to help them out.I couldn't figure out SH3commander so my resupply will take 20 days.They will be south of me working their way to the Freetown area,The weather should be better down there anyway.

Now when I resupply it ends my patrol,which is O.K. because I only had 2 torps.I will be awarded for further kills when I return to base right?I never resupplied before so want to make sure.Again thanks for any help.

pabbi
06-17-13, 05:20 PM
p.s. Stopped at Raykjavik and took on some convoys.Much FUN.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to be mister boring guy, but since i´m from Iceland i wanted to tell you its Reykjavík, the name of our capital city.

maurice076
06-17-13, 06:51 PM
Aye Pabbi,fixed.Never did find them,oh well.

Sailor Steve
06-17-13, 08:49 PM
I couldn't figure out SH3commander so my resupply will take 20 days.
On the Commander link for parameters it lets you set the days for Random or pick the exact number of days you want. Do you have the latest (3.2) version of Commander? Any time you use a supply ship it automatically makes it one day, plus any you need for repairs.

maurice076
06-18-13, 10:17 AM
Thanks Sailer Steve,I couldn't get it installed,so I started a campaign without it.Wish I spent more time trying...Still learning(everyday)about computers.Didn't have these when I went to school.Very Happy+proud I figured out GWX.I'll keep reading,maybe one day lol.

Tried to catch the Gneisenau+Scharnhorst down by the Cape Verde Islands to help out,but no go.Found a convoy and having my way with them now just south of Canary Islands.

Sailor Steve
06-18-13, 10:41 AM
I couldn't get it installed,
Oh, sorry. I thought you meant you just couldn't get that one part to work. That's what I get for thinking. :oops:

If you want to try again later I'll be glad to help any way I can. :sunny:

Jimbuna
06-20-13, 12:20 PM
Hello fellow submariners,I've played SHIII vanilla for a while,now thanks to this forum It's now GWX3.0 for me:yeah:I have been reading all I can,when I can,but I still come up with the odd question once in a while.

I started over again,now I'm on my third patrol and have read the gwx manual,for the most part.It says the ships Gneisenau and Scharnhorst are scripted in the game.Operation Berlin has started,I am near their actual routes taken.Will I find them+should I help them?I'm almost sure but not 100%.Thank you for your help.I'm sure I'll have more Q's in the future.

They are indeed both scripted in and here they are leaving Kiel at midnight on 22nd January 1941.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/730/ydbq.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/ydbq.jpg/)

maurice076
06-20-13, 07:28 PM
Thanks Jimbuna excellent proof.I was thinking of heading to Kiel to make it easier to find them,but coming out of St Nazaire I thought I could find them by Iceland.I'm still learning alot,and rereading the manual to do things other than attacking convoys.Currently:April 29, 1941 just east of Dublin causing havoc,waiting for something bigger to be a part of.Trying to figure out which radio reports are just eye candy so not to waste fuel.

HW3
06-20-13, 10:05 PM
All reports with Lat & Long are eye candy. That should help some.:yep:

:subsim:

Jimbuna
06-21-13, 05:22 AM
Thanks Jimbuna excellent proof.I was thinking of heading to Kiel to make it easier to find them,but coming out of St Nazaire I thought I could find them by Iceland.I'm still learning alot,and rereading the manual to do things other than attacking convoys.Currently:April 29, 1941 just east of Dublin causing havoc,waiting for something bigger to be a part of.Trying to figure out which radio reports are just eye candy so not to waste fuel.

Your welcome...you could view the scripted campaign layer in the mission editor (as I did above) to give yourself some idea of what to expect but that might be an immersion killer.

One of my favourite areas early on is the Norwegian campaign, here you can get a crack at some RN destroyers and even the BB Warspite if your lucky.

maurice076
06-21-13, 07:47 AM
Oh thanks to both of you.Crew getting out of their bunks now,be back in action in a few hours:subsim:

Jimbuna
06-21-13, 09:39 AM
SINK EM ALL!! http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

maurice076
06-23-13, 04:03 PM
Well I figured out how to install commander:know:Wasn't to sure about the conf. files,dragged it over to 7zip and double clicked and it installed.Is that what I need to do with the other mods?Game seems to be running fine.I was thinking of running the lifeboats and debris mod.

Sailor Steve
06-23-13, 04:54 PM
Lifeboats & Debris works fine with GWX. Here are some others that do as well.
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=170090

maurice076
06-23-13, 06:11 PM
Thank you sir,just read it.Am I correct with putting the downloaded mods in 7zip and double clicking like I did with Commander?Really not sure how to add these other mods.

Sailor Steve
06-23-13, 07:44 PM
Use JSGME (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/downloads.php?do=file&id=3951). You unzip the mods and put it into JSGME's MODS folder, then you can transfer them from Inactive to Active at will. It makes life a whole lot easier.

maurice076
06-23-13, 09:39 PM
Excellent thank you,I sure am learning a lot here.I have the jsgme since it came with GWX.I'm glad I didn't have to start my career over too.Took a look at the mission editor,but still need to learn how to use that.I'll be back with more Q's I'm sure.Thanks again.

Sailor Steve
06-23-13, 10:46 PM
The version that comes with GWX is good, but it is an older version. The link I gave is to the newest version.

maurice076
06-24-13, 05:57 PM
Oh O.K.,boy with all the mods and supermods I can play this for the next 5-10 years:o no wonder it's still popular.If any of the modders see this THANK YOU TOO,I don't have a clue how you do it,but I'll enjoy it.

With commander I just restarted April 1941 since that is where I left off.I am not playing 100% realism since I wouldn't get very far,or get frustrated.I enjoy the game just the same.Still a lot to learn and a long way to go.Been reading about the Donitz elite flotilla?That sounds pretty neat.hopefully one day I can help others too.

Time to turn the game back on:cool:
Thanks Sailor Steve.

Sailor Steve
06-24-13, 07:34 PM
Glad I could help. If it means anything, after eight years I still don't play at 100% either. I have no head for advanced math, and I can't do torpedo calculations to save my life. I do play seriously though, staying at my assigned grid for the entire patrol. Most people find that boring, but I find it gives me realistic tonnage scores. I've gone whole patrols without ever seeing a single enemy ship. Then again I've been playing subsims since I played Silent Service on my Atari 520ST back in 1987.

It's all fun.

maurice076
06-24-13, 09:45 PM
Yes it's fun.Never even had a computer until about 2 years ago:oops:

BigWalleye
06-25-13, 07:21 AM
Glad I could help. If it means anything, after eight years I still don't play at 100% either. I have no head for advanced math, and I can't do torpedo calculations to save my life. I do play seriously though, staying at my assigned grid for the entire patrol. Most people find that boring, but I find it gives me realistic tonnage scores. I've gone whole patrols without ever seeing a single enemy ship. Then again I've been playing subsims since I played Silent Service on my Atari 520ST back in 1987.

It's all fun.

Steve, allow me to second that. It's all about having fun. To borrow a quote from someone in another hobby (responding to a volley of imperatives leveled at a newbie by a bunch of hard-core Grognards):

"If you're having fun, you're doing it right. And if you're not having fun, no matter how you're doing it, that's not the right way for you."