PDA

View Full Version : Your creditcard have been suspended

mapuc
06-09-13, 03:19 PM
Saturday evening I open my mail and had some mails awaiting me, most of them was spam(even though I have set my settings to hard)

One of these was a typical phising mail

It suppused to come from my bank

It said in danish(not perfekt grammar) that I had paid for some illegal stuff and thereby my credit card had been suspended

It's only one thing to do with mails like this one-erase without opening it.

However, something made me a little worried, my first 4 numbers in my credit card was in that mail

like this 1234-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

And that made me a little nervous, have one of the pages where I have used my credit card been hacked??

Markus

Wolferz
06-09-13, 03:35 PM
Saturday evening I open my mail and had some mails awaiting me, most of them was spam(even though I have set my settings to hard)

One of these was a typical phising mail

It suppused to come from my bank

It said in danish(not perfekt grammar) that I had paid for some illegal stuff and thereby my credit card had been suspended

It's only one thing to do with mails like this one-erase without opening it.

However, something made me a little worried, my first 4 numbers in my credit card was in that mail

And that made me a little nervous, have one of the pages where I have used my credit card been hacked??

Markus

Doubt it. Did you call your card issuer using the number on your card?

It's just the usual phishing e-mail. I get loads of them. The lamest one claiming that my Adobe software is out of date. Click Here to Update!:haha:
My Adobe software updates itself automatically MORON!:rotfl2:

If you are in real doubt, call your card issuer with the number on the card. Or use it to buy something at a brick and mortar store.

Stealhead
06-09-13, 03:36 PM
Markus

It is a possibility.Of course if they had your card number they would really have no reason to fish it from you.They would need the number and the three or four digit number on the back in order to use it.The scam sounds pretty low ball by saying that you purchased illegal items that is a scare tactic to fool fools.

They where hoping I'm sure that you would send in your card number and extra code(forget what they call that CVT or something).

I would not worry about it to much obviously your account is fine and there are no charges on it that you do not permit.

I do not know where you are going though not every site is reliable.

It most likely is just someone fishing and not related to any place that you have purchased things from.

Interesting thing though is that I never get any phishing scams in my e-mail.

I hate to say it but I bet that those phishing scams work on a lot of people.Not every person that has an e-mail account is the sharpest tool in the shed.

When you go to a physical store you should watch the clerk like a hawk some will try and swipe your card on a small reader that stores the information on your card to be mined later then they take that data and a card machine and make a another card.By mining the data they can crack it and find out your pin number and everything.Only allow a clerk to use the actual card reader(in most cases you are the one that does this) if they try to hide that they a swiping the card do not leave that place until you contact the police. Iwould avoid places where you hand the card to someone and they are out of your site they can either swap the card with a reader.These readers are very small they can fit in the palm of your hand.Some of these scanners are so small they can be glued on top of a legitimate scanner like at a gas pump or ATM that way the machine operates normally and the card gets scanned twice once by the legitimate seller and by the person that placed the illegal scanner.

It is known as skimming.

Here is a cheesy video but it explains how it works.Watch closely.The kind that gets glued to the front of an ATM or gas pump you just have to look closely for an extra gap that should not be there.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0w_ktMotlo

Here is an ATM type skimmer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5IXANgr6Co

If you have a card with an RFID(the kind you wave in front of a reader) you may as well drop your pants because nearly any device such as a smart phone could have a program that allows them to read your info and they only need to get within a few feet of your RFID.At least you can watch a person who tries to slight of hand swipe your card with a skimmer and then promptly break their fingers then knock their teeth out.I will do that to any person that tries that crap with me and I do not care if I get arrested for it.

mapuc
06-09-13, 04:07 PM
Thank you for your answer.

Next time I will copy their IP-address and see where it's origin is.
And I'm going to talk to my bank about it. They can see all of my
transactions that I have made using my credit card.

Markus

BrucePartington
06-09-13, 04:42 PM
If it was the first four digits, don't worry. These are generic, common to another zilion credit card numbers. It identifies the credit card sub-type, as in "regular" or "Gold", or whatever. Your individual card number is composed by the "x"s they are not showing, because they don't have them :03:.
I'd imagine they'd use the most common type, which happens to be the same as yours.
Call the credit card issuer just to put your mind at ease, if for nothing else. I wouldn't worry about it.

(snip)

(snip)
Markus

TarJak
06-09-13, 05:03 PM
The first 6 digits of a credit card number are known as the Issuer Identification Number (IIN), previously known as bank identification number (BIN), issued under the ISO/IEC 7812 standard. These identify the institution that issued the card to the card holder.
The IIN ranges used by the major card schemes are:

Visa: Card numbers start with a 4.
MasterCard: Card numbers start with the numbers 51 through 55.
Diners Club: Card numbers begin with 36 or 38. (There are Diners Club cards that begin with 5. These are a joint venture between Diners Club and MasterCard, and are processed like a MasterCard.)
Discover: Card numbers begin with 6011 or 65.
Japan Credit Bureau (JCB): Card numbers begin with 35.
American Express (Amex): Card numbers beginning with 34 or 37.

Dont sweat it.

Herr-Berbunch
06-10-13, 08:13 AM
My Adobe software updates itself automatically MORON!:rotfl2:

Mine doesn't. Whenever I get the pop-up saying there is an update I go direct to adobe.com for the download, I will never d/l automatically, and nor will I ever click the pop-up link to d/l it.

Wolferz
06-10-13, 08:43 AM
Mine doesn't. Whenever I get the pop-up saying there is an update I go direct to adobe.com for the download, I will never d/l automatically, and nor will I ever click the pop-up link to d/l it.

Actually I do the same thing. I don't think they send out e-mail reminders...

Phisherman!
Oy Vay!:-?:stare:

Herr-Berbunch
06-10-13, 08:59 AM
Actually I do the same thing. I don't think they send out e-mail reminders...

Phisherman!
Oy Vay!:-?:stare:

I can sort this for you permanently, all I need is your credit/debit card details including the TIN on the back, your first pet's name, mother's maiden name, inside leg measurement, address, a skirt, a shoe . . . :hmmm: