PDA

View Full Version : Electric torpedo prep

Tupolev
05-27-13, 11:08 AM
Been doing some thinking regarding the speed and ranges of TII and TIII torpedoes in game and came up with a few questions.

Could the batteries on these electric torpedoes be recharged and/or preheated while NOT in the tubes?

T

Marcello
05-27-13, 01:25 PM
From what I read recharging could not take place in the tubes, you need to to get rid of the hydrogen and the tubes weren't configured for that.
In regards to pre-heating, it was done outside the tubes but I am not sure whether the tubes (or which models of them) were wired to keep the torpedoes batteries heated if they could not be discharged quickly.

vanjast
05-27-13, 03:42 PM
If I remember correctly form the gazillion books I've read yonks ago.. On patrol, regular servicing of the torps was required to keep them in 'ready condition'. When on the chase and pre-loading the servicing was more acute to get the maximum reliability and range from the torps. The exact service procedures of the various torps, I'm not sure of. :)

desertstriker
05-27-13, 08:56 PM
there are a tome of resources available somewhere. may i suggest starting with looking at Rudewarriors JFO (just follow orders) mod

Tupolev
05-27-13, 11:37 PM
I'm a happy user of JFO! and quite impressed with his level of research and knowledge.

I'm more curious about the actual logistics (if thats the correct term) of how some of the torpedo prep and maintenance was actually done IRL. I've read just a few books on the U-Boat war but nothing that covers this particular subject. I've also read a few interpreted KTB's but they mostly just mentions "Dived for torpedo maintenance."

Thanks for the replies, all.

T

Marcello
05-28-13, 01:59 PM
The electric torpedoes of the time used standard flooded lead acid batteries. This meant frequent recharging which would require them to be hooked up to a power supply cable and ventilated to prevent explosion. In addition to that one would have to keep an eye on the level of electrolyte and add distilled water as necessary. Other systems may warrant checks but batteries would certainly be the more attention demanding of all by far.
In regards to "Dived for torpedo maintenance." I would suspect that in order to get the torpedoes out of the tubes or off the bilges was best done
underwater: having a ton and half beast swinging from chains in bad weather was not something I would recommend...

desertstriker
05-28-13, 02:17 PM
Hsie's hardcode fix i think incorperated that where you couldn't reload in bad weather unless you where under water below i think 20 meters so about 66 feet