PDA

View Full Version : CO2 question

joefremont
05-17-13, 01:49 PM
This may be a newby question but at what point does the CO2 level in the boat actually become an issue that affects crew performance. I often at the first sign of a patrol aircraft dive to periscope depth, set speed to 2kn and remain submerged until dark. At 2kn I will have plenty of battery to last all day but the CO2 warning usually comes on around midday. Is the downside of the CO2 worth the risk of surfacing in daylight to air out the boat?

Luno
05-17-13, 02:07 PM
The CO2 warning comes on at 10%, I think, which is just a few hours. There have been stories of fights lasting 48 hours underwater, so I think you have until the red bar is completely filled. I haven't tested that though.

The more guys at work, the more CO2 produced, so if you're going to be spending a long time sitting underwater, secure from battle stations. I think silent running reduces CO2 production as well, if you're in a pinch.

Redmane
05-17-13, 02:20 PM
Also, if you are running one of the super mods, such as TMO, functionality to raise and lower your air search radar antenna above/below the water has been added in these mods, and was something the fleet boats could actually do in reality. I always raise mine as I dive to periscope depth, then observe the approach of the aircraft, watching carefully to see if it spots my boat. Much of the time they don't. Once they pass out of range, I wait for awhile, running at Time Compression of about 128-256, since they usually make a second pass on their way to or from their point of origin. After they have once again safely passed out of radar range I will surface the boat since in most cases they will not come back for quite a few hours. However, in Empire waters there will often be more than one aircraft covering the area, but the SD radar as represented in TMO has a long enough range to allow you ample warning and successfully avoid detection.

ETR3(SS)
05-17-13, 06:25 PM
If I recall correctly the CO2 buildup rate is fixed. It also doesn't affect crew performance until you reach 100%, I'm sure you can guess what happens then. Your first warning appears at 10% then if you make it to 90% the game will drop you out of any time compression down to 1x. There is a snorkel in some of the mods but it only lets you run the diesels submerged and doesn't exhaust the CO2 from the boat. This function was working in SH3 but broke in SH4.

TorpX
05-17-13, 08:28 PM
As ETR3 says, I have never noticed any penalty for high CO2 levels. I've often spent the entire day making a submerged patrol with no problems. Really, I worry more about the battery, than CO2 levels.

Armistead
05-17-13, 09:41 PM
I forget, but with TMO seems it was about 36 hours or more. Not sure what mods you're running, but test it out and push it until you get the 90% warning. Anyway, you should never have a problem with it, stay down all day and surface at night if you wish.

Red October1984
05-17-13, 09:55 PM
As ETR3 says, I have never noticed any penalty for high CO2 levels. I've often spent the entire day making a submerged patrol with no problems. Really, I worry more about the battery, than CO2 levels.

Yeah. Back when I used to play SH4 a lot, (Before my court martial. *Glares at Armistead) I harbor raided in Truk and the battery runs into problems a long time before the CO2 becomes a problem.

Redmane
05-17-13, 10:07 PM
Probably the only thing you'll notice is a sudden run on your Pharamcist Mate's asprin supply when you run the CO2 up high. Your crew will be hitting him up for it to help deal with the headaches. :haha: