PDA

View Full Version : Another Nerdgasm!

Rhodes
05-17-13, 05:52 AM
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/05/16/death-star-destroys-enterprise-special-edition

Victory for SW this time!

Nippelspanner
05-17-13, 06:04 AM
Oh my, that was awesome!:huh:

Wolferz
05-17-13, 07:38 AM
I guess the empire doesn't believe in towing illegally parked starships.:haha:

An entire crew of redshirts gone.:rock:

I wonder who it was that got beamed into the bay...

Hope it was J J.

Rockstar
05-17-13, 07:41 AM
"You guys see that? He almost took my head off!" :haha:

Good find.

The Enigma
05-17-13, 08:09 AM
Amazing well done vid.
Nice find :yeah:

donna52522
05-17-13, 08:48 AM
Awesome vid, well made....But I thought Kirk and crew used a Klingon Bird of Prey in the movie when they went to snatch the whales because of it's cloaking device. I also didn't think an Imperial I-class Star Destroyer could stay aloft in a planets atmosphere.

Rhodes
05-17-13, 09:33 AM
Thanks!:up: And yes, the clip is very SW inclined! Do not think that, besides many things, that the SW ship's have more fire-power that ST ships, do to the nature of the beam and not beam weapons+shields and the transporter.
But is just fun so...may the Vulcan mind trick be with you!

Herr-Berbunch
05-17-13, 09:42 AM
But is just fun so...may the Vulcan mind trick be with you!

These aren't the whales you've been looking for . . . !

http://www.mobilisationlab.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/not-the-droids.jpg

Great vid. Empire over Federation, any day. :O:

Wolferz
05-17-13, 10:02 AM
Could a Jedi Vulcan neck pinch you from across the room?

erk!:dead:

Sailor Steve
05-17-13, 10:06 AM
Well, since a jedi master can choke you death from a distance, I don't see why not.

"I find your lack of faith illogical."

Jimbuna
05-17-13, 10:24 AM
Very cool indeed, was watching ST IV just the other day at work.

Wolferz
05-17-13, 10:46 AM
Awesome vid, well made....But I thought Kirk and crew used a Klingon Bird of Prey in the movie when they went to snatch the whales because of it's cloaking device. I also didn't think an Imperial I-class Star Destroyer could stay aloft in a planets atmosphere.

Episode two. Palpatine and his cronies watch as the star destroyers lift off.

It's an anti-grav thang.:03:

sharkbit
05-17-13, 12:38 PM
Very cool indeed, was watching ST IV just the other day at work.

Watching Star Trek at work.....:hmmm:......I hope your boss doesn't frequent thes forums. :D

Wait....I'm looking at the forum at work, so I guess I'm slacking off as well.

:)

Jimbuna
05-17-13, 12:40 PM
Watching Star Trek at work.....:hmmm:......I hope your boss doesn't frequent thes forums. :D

I am the boss :)

nikimcbee
05-17-13, 12:40 PM
Good riddance.:haha:

Jimbuna
05-17-13, 01:56 PM
Good riddance.:haha:

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/2063/image2rza.png

Sailor Steve
05-17-13, 02:05 PM
The graphics are great, but I have two questions:

1. The Star Destroyer looked kind of small to me. Aren't those things supposed to be, like, five miles long?

2. I had no idea the Death Star mega-weapon had that kind of fine tuning. I was half-expecting to see it vaporise the whole planet.

"Captain, wasn't that kind of overkill?"

"We got the enemy ship, didn't we? We had to kill the planet to save it."

em2nought
05-17-13, 02:40 PM
After watching that, I have the suspicion that our police forces would feel right at home dressed as stormtroopers. They're pretty close already. :D

Sailor Steve
05-17-13, 02:52 PM
In that case you might be interested in learning what really happened on Tatooine all those years ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvswNDAAZCU

Jimbuna
05-17-13, 03:14 PM
LOL :)

Wolferz
05-17-13, 03:40 PM
In that case you might be interested in learning what really happened on Tatooine all those years ago.

Y'all looked good there, Wernher and Jimbuna.:03::D

Did you find Duke?

STEED
05-17-13, 04:15 PM
Took there bloody time blowing up that hippy ship. :har:

donna52522
05-17-13, 04:50 PM
The Star Destroyer looked kind of small to me. Aren't those things supposed to be, like, five miles long?

Well it's supposed to be.....

Length: 1,600 meters (5,200 ft)

Width: 1,015 meters (3,330 ft)

donna52522
05-17-13, 04:51 PM
Episode three. Palpatine and his cronies watch as the star destroyers lift off.

It's an anti-grav thang.:03:

I don't recall that scene, is it the same atmosphere as Earth?

Wolferz
05-17-13, 04:59 PM
I don't recall that scene, is it the same atmosphere as Earth?

Coruscant? Yup, same atmo but, a tad more polluted I think.

No way to prove it though. Star Wars is science fantasy after all.:hmmm:

The scene in question is at the very end of episode III and signified the beginning of the clone war.
Palpatines' grand army of the republic.

donna52522
05-17-13, 06:19 PM
I have a question though.... Star Wars takes place a long long long time ago, and Star Trek takes place in the future.

So why/how are both of them in present day San Francisco, I don't think either had the ability to time travel?

Rhodes
05-17-13, 06:29 PM
Star Trek universe has time travel. On purpose and due to accidents involving several things!
In Star Wars they never mention it, I think!

Cybermat47
05-17-13, 06:40 PM
Coruscant? Yup, same atmo but, a tad more polluted I think.

No way to prove it though. Star Wars is science fantasy after all.:hmmm:

The scene in question is at the very end of episode III and signified the beginning of the clone war.
Palpatines' grand army of the republic.

Episode II you mean, and those were Republic Assault Ships, which are smaller than Star Destroyers.

In episode III, you do see a Republic Star Destroyer taking off from Coruscant as well.

Raptor1
05-18-13, 12:51 PM
I don't recall any instances of an Imperial I-class Star Destroyer operating in an atmosphere, but in the X-wing book The Krytos Trap the (vastly larger) Executor-class Super Star Destroyer Lusankya is able to lift off from under Coruscant's surface and into orbit using detachable repulsorlifts. So even if an Imperial can't operate in an atmosphere on its own like the Acclamators and Venators in Episodes II and III I think it would be a simple matter to fit it with the equipment it would need to do so.

Herr-Berbunch
05-18-13, 01:07 PM
*whispers* Some people need to get out more.

:D

Buddahaid
05-18-13, 01:33 PM
Took there bloody time blowing up that hippy ship. :har:

:haha:

I love that ship....:stare:

That video is really fun to watch no matter what is out of scale, or canon. :arrgh!:

donna52522
05-18-13, 05:30 PM

Yes, I guess we can go back to studying obsolete WWII submarines.

donna52522
05-18-13, 05:34 PM
Star Trek universe has time travel. On purpose and due to accidents involving several things!
In Star Wars they never mention it, I think!

Oh yeah, silly me...Star Trek had to go back in time to retrieve the whales...What was I thinking.

Betonov
05-18-13, 06:15 PM
It's the uniforms. You can't battle the Empire in pajamas :nope:

Rhodes
05-18-13, 07:45 PM
Oh yeah, silly me...Star Trek had to go back in time to retrieve the whales...What was I thinking.

The Naked Time before that, and Gary 7 and a few others before the "Save the Whales!

Mork_417
05-23-13, 02:21 AM
http://uk.ign.com/videos/2013/05/16/death-star-destroys-enterprise-special-edition

Victory for SW this time!

That was good. :har:

I believe most of us are guilty of that one, but like Jim mentioned, it helps if your the boss. :D

:har::har:

Oberon
05-23-13, 06:01 AM
:haha: Tad overkill, the Star Destroyer would have had enough firepower to destroy an old Constitution class starship.

The comparison is apples vs oranges though, the Federation was built for scientific discovery, the Empire for war and conquest, it's natural that they would have superior weaponry.
Although one does have to wonder how they would fare against the Borg once the Borg had lost a few dozen cubes and adapted to Imperial weaponry.
Then there's Q, who could turn Emperor Palpatine into a pot plant with a click of his fingers.

So, it's not quite as one sided if you think outside the Federation. :03:

Sailor Steve
05-23-13, 10:19 AM
:haha: Tad overkill, the Star Destroyer would have had enough firepower to destroy an old Constitution class starship.
Not so. It has been stated that a Constitution class has the firepower to level an entire planet. Also, the Empire doesn't seem to have the concept of force shields, otherwise how could a single fighter firing a single missile destroy the Death Star?

I'm not trying to revive that old nerd argument, because just looking at them I would agree with you. I'm just going by what characters in each universe have said about their own technology. The bottom line is of course the same as the equally silly argument concerning which version of Batman would win a fight: Whichever one the screenwriter said would win.

Raptor1
05-23-13, 11:58 AM
Although one does have to wonder how they would fare against the Borg once the Borg had lost a few dozen cubes and adapted to Imperial weaponry.

This is something I've wondered about; how does the Borg weapon-adaption thingy work, anyway? I mean, what do different phaser frequencies do to the beam that makes them have to re-adapt to it? Are there types of weapons they can't adapt to? Can weapons break through their shields even after they've adapted to them given sufficient firepower (seeing as how most capital ship-based weapons in Star Wars have a pretty insane energy output)? I'm not that knowledgeable about Star Trek, so I probably missed a whole bunch of relevant information about how all that works.

donna52522
05-23-13, 12:16 PM
Not so. It has been stated that a Constitution class has the firepower to level an entire planet. Also, the Empire doesn't seem to have the concept of force shields, otherwise how could a single fighter firing a single missile destroy the Death Star?

Well the Empire learned after the first one was destroyed. But instead of having the shield generator on the second Death Star itself, they had the shield generator on the planet of Endor. Possibly because that Death Star wasn't completed.

Oberon
05-23-13, 12:43 PM

I'm not trying to revive that old nerd argument, because just looking at them I would agree with you. I'm just going by what characters in each universe have said about their own technology. The bottom line is of course the same as the equally silly argument concerning which version of Batman would win a fight: Whichever one the screenwriter said would win.

:hmmm: Good point, I must admit I haven't seen all of the TOS episodes so I couldn't be certain about the exact firepower of a Constitution class except compared to that of later era vessels.
Fully agree on the scriptwriter though, after all, that's what technobabble was invented for. :haha:

This is something I've wondered about; how does the Borg weapon-adaption thingy work, anyway? I mean, what do different phaser frequencies do to the beam that makes them have to re-adapt to it? Are there types of weapons they can't adapt to? Can weapons break through their shields even after they've adapted to them given sufficient firepower (seeing as how most capital ship-based weapons in Star Wars have a pretty insane energy output)? I'm not that knowledgeable about Star Trek, so I probably missed a whole bunch of relevant information about how all that works.

I think that the adaptation comes about from two ways. The Federation (and other races and organisations in the Trek 'verse) use phased energy as a weapon which operates on specific frequencies. Up until the first contact with the Borg the frequency was rarely changed, however after the Enterprise D encountered the Borg it was postulated that by changing the frequency that the phasers operated on the Borg would not be able to adapt their shields to counter the frequency, in regards to the science behind it, I'd wager it's a bit like how a sound wave can be cancelled out by another sound wave of the exact same frequency.
In regards to physical weapons, the Borg are often shown to be weak to swords and even a Tommy gun, so how affective their protection against kinetic weaponry is can be debated. However against things like lightsabers and blasters, their shields could and would adapt.

Secondly, the process of assimilation adds the memories of the individual into the Collective, so if the Borg were able to assimilate a high ranking officer of the Empire, they would have access to all the battle tactics, weapons specifications, and ship weaknesses that the officer had in his memory.
Of course, in certain circumstances this interconnectivity is as much of a weakness as it is a strength to the Borg, introducing a virus or countering the weight of the collective with a strong psychic link, it's likely that there are races within the Star Wars universe which could do this, although against the standard clone troopers and human officers of the Empire it would likely be somewhat effective.

Again though, we come into the territory aformentioned by Steve, the writers, the Borg started out as the Federations biggest enemy, an unstoppable menace that struck fear into the hearts of Starfleet. By the time Voyager finished they were just another baddie of the week, in fact the Dominion probably struck more fear into Starfleet than the Borg after Janeway had finished with them. But that's how it goes, something I am sure that Star Wars fans are aware of to, for I need only say one word beginning with M which I shall not for the sake or preserving Raptors sanity.

On the subject though, here's a little reading material for you, Raptor, to pass a few hours, it's a bit Star Wars bias, but not so that a Star Trek fan won't get some enjoyment out of it (although they may get somewhat confused along the way):

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Fanfic/Conquest/index.html

Sailor Steve
05-23-13, 02:21 PM
Interesting story, and well-written. I read the first two chapters. Now I'm hooked. I hate you. :O:

Raptor1
05-23-13, 03:22 PM
I think that the adaptation comes about from two ways. The Federation (and other races and organisations in the Trek 'verse) use phased energy as a weapon which operates on specific frequencies. Up until the first contact with the Borg the frequency was rarely changed, however after the Enterprise D encountered the Borg it was postulated that by changing the frequency that the phasers operated on the Borg would not be able to adapt their shields to counter the frequency, in regards to the science behind it, I'd wager it's a bit like how a sound wave can be cancelled out by another sound wave of the exact same frequency.
In regards to physical weapons, the Borg are often shown to be weak to swords and even a Tommy gun, so how affective their protection against kinetic weaponry is can be debated. However against things like lightsabers and blasters, their shields could and would adapt.

The scene with the Tommy gun in First Contact is exactly what I was wondering about, because blasters (along with 'lasers') in the Star Wars are most often depicted as particle weapons, which, despite being energy weapons, deliver damage by kinetic energy. So, if the Borg can't adapt to kinetic energy weapons, I'd be inclined to believe they couldn't adapt to the majority of Star Wars weaponry either.

I'm not sure whether that would apply to lightsabers, but their rarity and general lack of applicability to space combat probably make them inconsequential in a conflict like this.

On the subject though, here's a little reading material for you, Raptor, to pass a few hours, it's a bit Star Wars bias, but not so that a Star Trek fan won't get some enjoyment out of it (although they may get somewhat confused along the way):

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Fanfic/Conquest/index.html

I know of this but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet. Should get around to it at some point...

Oberon
05-23-13, 04:21 PM
The scene with the Tommy gun in First Contact is exactly what I was wondering about, because blasters (along with 'lasers') in the Star Wars are most often depicted as particle weapons, which, despite being energy weapons, deliver damage by kinetic energy. So, if the Borg can't adapt to kinetic energy weapons, I'd be inclined to believe they couldn't adapt to the majority of Star Wars weaponry either.

It's entirely possible, however there's only one instance (that I can recall of) of the Borg being attacked with kinetic based weaponry and that's the Tommy Gun and if I recall correctly, Picard only shot two or three drones, which is about the number it takes before the Borg adapt.
Evidence in favour of the adaptation of the Borg to kinetic weaponry comes from a scene in First Contact where, trapped in the temporal wake of the Borg Sphere, the bridge crew of the Enterprise-E witness Earth transform into a Borg world because of the assimilation of Earth in 2063. Now, if the Borg had a weakness to kinetic weapons then they would have struggled against the humans of 2063 with their kinetic weapons, although the humans would also have the disadvantage of being a) bombarded from orbit and b) dispersed and reduced in number following World War Three.
However, I think that a race that has absorbed such a large amount of civilizations that the Borg has done, would be able to use a forcefield to stop an object propelled at velocity. It was likely that they just hadn't adapted to a Tommy Gun when Picard used it, otherwise, if it was the 'golden bullet' (pardon the terrible pun) then the crew of the Enterprise could have used the replicators to manufacture all sorts of firearms and used them in lieu of the ineffective phasers. It would be easier than using swords (since only a handful would have had that sort of training, like Worf) and would make for a much shorter film :haha:
So I think it's safe to assume that the Borg would adapt to kinetic based weaponry given enough exposure to it.

And, Steve, you're welcome. :har: