PDA

View Full Version : should i buy silent hunter 5....?

DemonicApe
05-13-13, 10:31 AM
ok simple question, i have SH3, modded it yesterday to GWXgold, but my rig, cost me a hell of a lot of money and i am thinking i want something that looks good. even though SH3 doesn't look all that bad it is still 8 years old.

If i said i would buy silent hunter 5 right now what would everyone recommend?

TheDarkWraith
05-13-13, 11:26 AM
You're crazy for playing a game with such outdated graphics and old software technology when SH5 is available. Patch up SH5 with my Generic Patcher and throw on some mods and it's a great game. Only going to get better as I keep working on new patches for the game :up:

DemonicApe
05-13-13, 01:07 PM
ok, that kinda settles it then. cheers mate :) fancie sending the links for the generic mod and what it fixes please mate, i will buy it now and start downloading :)

TheDarkWraith
05-13-13, 01:10 PM
ok, that kinda settles it then. cheers mate :) fancie sending the links for the generic mod and what it fixes please mate, i will buy it now and start downloading :)

My GenericPatcher does not work on Steam versions of the game! You can find links to it and many mods in the SH5 Mods Forum.

DemonicApe
05-13-13, 01:12 PM
ah right ok mate i will buy the DVD version then. i am sure i have seen a post on here saying someone got your patch to work on a steam version.

*EDIT* ow and by the way do you still need to be online to actually play the game?

Trevally.
05-13-13, 02:00 PM
*EDIT* ow and by the way do you still need to be online to actually play the game?

No - you can set if to offline (after the first sign in) and fully remove your PC from the net. You will never have to connect again.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/th_popcorncat.gif (http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/th_popcorncat.gif)

DemonicApe
05-13-13, 02:56 PM
sweet i ordered the DVD version it will be here wednesday, so i will install it and add the mods from there, see how it goes. i have heard the interface on the game is quite complicated, is this true or do the mods solve this?

volodya61
05-13-13, 03:07 PM
sweet i ordered the DVD version it will be here wednesday, so i will install it and add the mods from there, see how it goes. i have heard the interface on the game is quite complicated, is this true or do the mods solve this?

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=190656

aschar
05-13-13, 03:13 PM
Not really in the traditional sense. What Ubisoft tried to do with the game was simplify the interface in order to attract a broader audience, but all it really did was take away a lot of functionality. Luckily, TDW's New UI solves this problem (http://www.subsim.com/radioroom//downloads.php?do=file&id=1582).

DemonicApe
05-15-13, 08:37 AM
ok guys i got my SH5 disk through this afternoon i am have my MOD enabler installed in my folder i am just about to update my SH to V1.2 and then its time to add TDW generic patcher and his UI then i think i am ready to play :)

DemonicApe
05-15-13, 10:00 AM
got all my mods that i want o tplay with installed.... just a quick questions... after a quick test on a historical mission i noticed none of the hotkeys from SH3 work, do i HAVE to walk around the sub to get to say the periscope or is there a way of jumping straight into raising it? simple things like that.

Mods,

TDW generic patcher
TDW UI (SH5 Enhanced)

Cheers guys

Sartoris
05-15-13, 11:07 AM
Yes, if you have TDW's UI then you can teleport to stations by clicking the portraits below, then the arrow at the right, which then displays the stations, if I remember correctly. In any case, I recommend you watch stoianm's excellent tutorials for the UI and other aspects of the game, all of which are linked at the main SH5 page here on subsim.

DemonicApe
05-15-13, 02:05 PM
Dude, that game is nails to play.... there is no logic to anything lol. all the keys are arse about face and i the game makes a **** job of telling you what to do next, they could at least put a tutorial in there.

I am not slaggin off any mods as i think its just me getting used to the game but for some reason, first mission on campain, none of my newly modded UI comes up.... its wierd.

Has anyone got any links for a tutorial, or any help on how to actually do things in the game please?

flag4
05-15-13, 02:57 PM
Has anyone got any links for a tutorial, or any help on how to actually do things in the game please?

yep!

look at all the sticky's at the top of the SH5 page on this site. its all there, all you have to do is follow their instructions...in the end you'll get there, in the end.

Mr Quatro
05-15-13, 04:10 PM
I was going to remind you to click on the Amazon link at the top of the
page banner, but I see you have already purchased it.

I think it is down to $6.00 with free shipping and handling included if you order more than $25

After that it becomes a labor of love to get it just right ... :up:

Someday software will come with money back gurantee's :yep:

flag4
05-15-13, 04:17 PM
Someday software will come with money back gurantee's :yep:

....:har:

sorry!

DemonicApe
05-15-13, 04:32 PM
ahhh i am getting there i spose, there are still bugs in the game like the one where you cant choose missions if you play the tutorial (if that was a tutorial i dont have a bloody clue what not having one would be like.... maybe try to play with telekenesis?)

anyway like i said, a few bugs but all games have bugs... nature of the beast i guess. so i think i have a few things down, going to start my first proper patrol tommorow after work and see how things go on the W coast of england.

I am not even going to attemp actual realism yet mine is set to 53% or something, mainly because i dont have manual TDC on.... that **** just baffles me, but i will get the hang of it sooner or later. as i am sure i will with the rest of the controls and interface.

One on the mods.... like i said i am using TDW's generic patcher (which i wont really see the benefit work so to speak as i havnt played the game with the major bugs the MOD fixes in, but so far so good.) and TDW UI mod, now from the 2 odd hours i have messed around with the game so far.... and from the videos i have seen on youtube, it seems to have made things better, but again the same with the other patch me starting out playing with the patches and not having played the game before i wont know the difference.
just one on the patcher.... you can change torpedo bug or somthing, well i enabled all the mods in the patcher and.... my torps went in circles.... or prem detonated.... so i switched it off and just used the "important" looking patches lol.

Anyway i will try to keep you all posted but i would say apart from a few hicups so far so good, the game looks beautiful, the game dynamics (blown up ships and such) are outstanding compared to SH3. so yeh i think its £3.00 well spent :) (and 6 hours of downloading, installing and modding) |:D

Fifi
05-15-13, 05:01 PM
so yeh i think its £3.00 well spent

Yes, well spent!
Welcome and enjoy :salute: