PDA

View Full Version : Recharge batteries

Bathrone
05-13-13, 03:35 AM
Is the rate of recharging batteries dependant on sub speed setting (e.g flank)?

How to maximise recharge time?

THEBERBSTER
05-13-13, 03:48 AM
Hi Bathrone
There are orders to stop charging the batteries and I have noticed that my maximum speed drops a few knots while the batteries are being charged which is not good if you need that extra bit of speed to reach an intercept point.
Best wishes Peter

Bathrone
05-13-13, 03:51 AM
Ah yes quite true but not what I was asking :) Ofcourse the speed drops when charging cos one diesel goes to the generator not the propellor

What Id like to know is if higher speeds charge the batteries faster or if I just go dead slow theyll charge at the same rate

Fifi
05-13-13, 04:00 AM
Ah yes quite true but not what I was asking :) Ofcourse the speed drops when charging cos one diesel goes to the generator not the propellor

What Id like to know is if higher speeds charge the batteries faster or if I just go dead slow theyll charge at the same rate

I think so. Higher RPM should charge batteries faster. Didn't test it really in game, but it seems to me...

Sailor Steve
05-13-13, 05:42 AM
It shouldn't matter. the diesel charging the battery always runs at full speed, just for that purpose. In SH3 you could look at the guages and see one diesel running at slow speed (or whatevery you set it for) while the one doing the charging raced as fast as it could go. It should be the same in SH5.

TheDarkWraith
05-13-13, 08:32 AM
It shouldn't matter. the diesel charging the battery always runs at full speed, just for that purpose. In SH3 you could look at the guages and see one diesel running at slow speed (or whatevery you set it for) while the one doing the charging raced as fast as it could go. It should be the same in SH5.

This is how the engines code of SH5 is working. When recharging batts the starboard engine is set to ahead flank (or is it the port engine?) while it's disconnected from the shaft.

I've thought about adding a new command to the game - extreme battery recharging. This would allow both engines to recharge batts at the expense of no propulsion :) Could be quite handy sometimes.

Also thought about adding another new command to game - one that would allow the electric engines to be coupled to the diesel engines when at ahead flank for a little more knots.

gap
05-13-13, 11:06 AM
I've thought about adding a new command to the game - extreme battery recharging. This would allow both engines to recharge batts at the expense of no propulsion :) Could be quite handy sometimes.

Also thought about adding another new command to game - one that would allow the electric engines to be coupled to the diesel engines when at ahead flank for a little more knots.

Cool ideas, but were them realistically feasible in RL? :hmm2:

TheDarkWraith
05-13-13, 11:23 AM

I know the coupling of electric engines to diesel engines was used for emergency situations or to gain a few knots of top speed. As far as the extreme battery recharging goes I have no idea. One would think that they could do this and probably did when they needed batteries recharged quickly. If someone can find documentation of this being used that would be great. It wouldn't hurt to add it to the game - user would have option whether they wanted to use it or not.

U-Falke
05-13-13, 01:15 PM
I know the coupling of electric engines to diesel engines was used for emergency situations or to gain a few knots of top speed. As far as the extreme battery recharging goes I have no idea. One would think that they could do this and probably did when they needed batteries recharged quickly. If someone can find documentation of this being used that would be great. It wouldn't hurt to add it to the game - user would have option whether they wanted to use it or not.

Hey bud

Do you know any possible way to mod a reductio of recharge times from 12 hours to sh3īs 4-6h?

Bathrone
05-18-13, 05:39 AM
The game with the usual suspects of mods doesnt portray this. While recharging batteries both engines display what the speed is set to not one of them on ahead flank and the other set to what the speed is set too

volodya61
05-18-13, 07:30 AM
The game with the usual suspects of mods doesnt portray this. While recharging batteries both engines display what the speed is set to not one of them on ahead flank and the other set to what the speed is set too

It's not correct..
As you can see in the picture - battery level is 88, so batteries are recharging.. starboard engine's tachometer shows high rpm i.e. ahead flank, port engine's tachometer shows low rpm i.e. ahead one third i.e. ordered speed..

http://s19.postimg.org/kyz0dp6o3/recharge.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Sailor Steve
05-18-13, 10:13 AM

I agree, it should work that way. The only question is whether they designed it that way. They should have, but did they?

So I had a look at the original reports from the captured U-570 and found some surprising facts:

The drive is direct connected diesel. The chief engineer stated that switching arrangements are provided so that one engine can drive its own propeller direct, and, with its motor operating as a generator, drive the other propeller by electric drive.
-Section II - C - 1 - General
http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570ONIReport.htm

This would imply that while recharging both propellers would still be turning. If the starboard engine was recharging the batteries that propeller would be turned by the starboard motor, from electricity supplied by the port engine. Would this mean the port engine would have to run a little faster than normal to drive both propellers?

The above is from the American report, and doesn't say whether both engines can charge the batteries.

I couldn't find anything in the British Report (http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570BritishReport.htm) that said anything about whether both engines could recharge the batteries or not.

Bathrone
05-18-13, 09:39 PM
Thanks for that Volodya, nice to see it can work. So I unset all my mods and deleted my SH5 documents folder and tried it again. Now its working, must have been some sort of mod induced soup.

Scurvy Dawg
10-22-13, 08:33 AM
It's not correct..
As you can see in the picture - battery level is 88, so batteries are recharging.. starboard engine's tachometer shows high rpm i.e. ahead flank, port engine's tachometer shows low rpm i.e. ahead one third i.e. ordered speed..

http://s19.postimg.org/kyz0dp6o3/recharge.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

What UI mod is being used in this screens hot?

volodya61
10-22-13, 08:44 AM
What UI mod is being used in this screens hot?

NewUIs by TDW - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166093

Scurvy Dawg
10-22-13, 03:13 PM
NewUIs by TDW - http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=166093

Cheers matey!

lodebeard
10-23-13, 09:51 PM
This is how the engines code of SH5 is working. When recharging batts the starboard engine is set to ahead flank (or is it the port engine?) while it's disconnected from the shaft.

So cool!

Just the other night I was wondering if there was a way to decouple both diesels and speed up battery charging. This would be very handy for things like quickly topping up your battery while stationary on the surface getting a celestial position fix. Were both diesels even wired to the charging mechanism? Hopefully someone can find doco on if this was even possible.

And it would be so rad to be able to tie in the batteries for an emergency boost to speed!!

THEBERBSTER
10-26-13, 02:53 PM
Hi Guys
Any of you have any experience of using these patches from TDW,s Generic File Patcher.
Is it best to enable all of these patches or just specific ones?

SH5\TDW_SH5_Patches.s5p
Independent Engine Controls
3 Patches. Allows each engines speed to be set independent of the other.

Electric Engine Ratios - Additional entries for subs cfg file
3 Patches. Allows electric engine ratios to be defined in the subs.cfg file by using the header (Electric EngineProperties) If this header is not found then the game will use the default (diesel) engine properties. Adds a new section to the subs.cfg file

Patch allows player to ask for electric engines to be used while surfaced.

3 Patches. When sub is surfaced the player has the option of switching propulsion from diesel engines to electric engine or vice versa

Patch Disable Automatic Battery Recharge When Surfacing.

Patch Disables the automatic battery recharging when surfacing with diesel engines. When battery recharge is active the port shaft is decoupled from the port diesel engine and the port diesel engine is set to full throttle. Because the port shaft is idle.

SH5\TDW_SHSim_Patch.s5p
Independent Engine Controls
2 Patches. Allows each engines speed to be set independent of each other.

Electric Engine Ratios - Additional entries for subs cfg file
2 Patches. Allows electric engine ratios to be defined in the subs.cfg file by using the header (Electric EngineProperties) If this header is not found then the game will use the default (Diesel) engine properties. Adds a new section to the subs.cfg file

SH5\TDW_SimData_Patch.s5p
Patch. Electric Engine Ratios - Additional entries for subs cfg file

Courtesy acknowledgement to THEDARKWRAITH for using his information to bring to this thread from his Generic File Patcher v1.0.149.0

lodebeard
10-26-13, 03:12 PM
Verdana]Any of you have any experience of using these patches from TDW,s Generic File Patcher.....

I use all the patches you have listed, but the answer to your question depends on what you want. Do you want to be able to control the engines independently? Do you want manual control over battery charging? Or would you rather leave that sort of thing to your engineer and focus on other things?