PDA

View Full Version : Fascinating... never heard of this

GoldenRivet
05-12-13, 12:02 PM
A second world war battle taking place in a castle, in which American, French, and Wehrmacht troops joined forces to repel an advancing German SS division.

the only time in WW2 that German forces joined the allies in the fight against German forces :huh:

news to me

LINK (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/12/world-war-ii-s-strangest-battle-when-americans-and-germans-fought-together.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thedailybeast%2Farticles+%28T he+Daily+Beast+-+Latest+Articles%29)

Jimbuna
05-12-13, 12:05 PM
Most interesting :cool:

nikimcbee
05-12-13, 12:26 PM
A second world war battle taking place in a castle, in which American, French, and Wehrmacht troops joined forces to repel an advancing German SS division.

the only time in WW2 that German forces joined the allies in the fight against German forces :huh:

news to me

LINK (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/05/12/world-war-ii-s-strangest-battle-when-americans-and-germans-fought-together.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+thedailybeast%2Farticles+%28T he+Daily+Beast+-+Latest+Articles%29)

You've never heard of it?

http://www.gaminginfowire.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/wolfenstein-3d.gif

Schroeder
05-12-13, 02:08 PM
I have never heard of that before.:hmm2:

ZeeWolf
05-12-13, 02:22 PM
Just sounds like more Traitor Glorification that Hollywood is obsessed with.
The only time any good is said about the Germans is when they hate Hitler.
Also note that only Germany is a target of war time propaganda that goes
on unabated, as if the war has never ended.
That is probably (in part) because of those who are stupid enough to
believe it.

ZeeWolf :salute:

Red October1984
05-12-13, 02:22 PM
Never heard of this...but have a hard time believing it since the French were part of the fighting...

I bet they were the rear echelon. :hmmm: :O:

Jimbuna
05-12-13, 02:26 PM
Some of the last to stop fighting in Berlin at the very end were French.

GoldenRivet
05-12-13, 02:43 PM
Yes... no offense to the UK, but if it weren't for the French, a Union Jack would very likely fly above the Continental Capital Building of the USA still today. :yep:

Additionally, one must remember the apalling number of french who were killed in WW1... in the late 1930s and early 1940s French women had the right to vote, and there were a LARGE number of them who only had it all to recently in their memories the loss of sons and brothers and fathers during the last great war. They played a large role in the capitulation of France.

Finally, French resistance fighters receive little attention for their exploits against the Germans during WW2, channeling information to the allies, herding escaped POWs out of the ETO into spain. etc etc

surely one does not think that these men did this thinking there would be no consequences if caught. :salute:

Betonov
05-12-13, 02:56 PM
The French never surrendered in WWII. French politicians did :O:

Red October1984
05-12-13, 03:39 PM
The French never surrendered in WWII. French politicians did :O:

How dare you insult French Politicians!

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsC/tve3240-19660429-156.jpg

Betonov
05-12-13, 03:44 PM
How dare you insult French Politicians!

http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsC/tve3240-19660429-156.jpg

I dare to insult any french man or woman !!!!!

Except Remi Gaillard

WernherVonTrapp
05-12-13, 03:48 PM
Never knew about that story. But I never heard about the Great Raid at Cabanatuan either, until I saw the movie. Very interesting indeed. Would like to see a documentary or movie about it.:yep:

Tribesman
05-12-13, 03:57 PM
Just sounds like more Traitor Glorification that Hollywood is obsessed with.

Yes, because everyone knows hollywood is a jewish conspiracy, as is bollywood since it is a global conspiracy:rotfl2:
Nazis eh, historicly the scum of the earth. Whereas Neo nazis are just dumb scum.

vienna
05-12-13, 07:09 PM
Never heard of this...but have a hard time believing it since the French were part of the fighting...

I bet they were the rear echelon. :hmmm: :O:

They were probably confused: they weren't sure who to surrender to... :)

BTW, Robert Clary, who played LeBeau on 'Hogan's Heros', is a survivor of Buchenwald concentration camp...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Clary

<O>

Red October1984
05-12-13, 07:41 PM
They were probably confused: they weren't sure who to surrender to... :)

"How many French does it take to defend France? I don't know. It's never happened." My school Superintendent used to be a history teacher. He told us that one day when we were talking about WW2. :har:

BTW, Robert Clary, who played LeBeau on 'Hogan's Heros', is a survivor of Buchenwald concentration camp...

Werner Klemperer was Jewish and he played a German Colonel. He only agreed to take the part if Colonel Klink never succeeded in his plans. John Banner (Schultz), Howard Caine (Hochstetter), and Leon Askin (Burkhalter) were all Jewish too. John Banner and Leon Askin also survived the Holocaust.

<O>

I've noticed this thing after every one of your posts. Do your posts just blow your mind that much? :O:

Onkel Neal
05-12-13, 08:00 PM
Yes... no offense to the UK, but if it weren't for the French, a Union Jack would very likely fly above the Continental Capital Building of the USA still today. :yep:

Additionally, one must remember the apalling number of french who were killed in WW1... in the late 1930s and early 1940s French women had the right to vote, and there were a LARGE number of them who only had it all to recently in their memories the loss of sons and brothers and fathers during the last great war. They played a large role in the capitulation of France.

Finally, French resistance fighters receive little attention for their exploits against the Germans during WW2, channeling information to the allies, herding escaped POWs out of the ETO into spain. etc etc

surely one does not think that these men did this thinking there would be no consequences if caught. :salute:

I echo this sentiment. It's too common and thoughtless to bash the French for their loss in WWII. But think of it like this, if a man attacked you with a lawn mower and was halfway up your leg before you knew it, you might be thinking "hospital" not "fight".

vienna
05-12-13, 08:03 PM
I've noticed this thing after every one of your posts. Do your posts just blow your mind that much? :O:

I'm just curious if anyone will ever divine the meaning of it...

<O>

Red October1984
05-12-13, 08:13 PM
I echo this sentiment. It's too common and thoughtless to bash the French for their loss in WWII. But think of it like this, if a man attacked you with a lawn mower and was halfway up your leg before you knew it, you might be thinking "hospital" not "fight".

I am thankful of what the French did in the past wars...but I do laugh at the jokes and think they're funny. I've got a big, broad and sometimes dark sense of humor.

And I would be thinking "How the hell did i not hear this guy coming!?" if somebody attacked me with a lawnmower. :O:

<O>

It's either a guy grabbing his head or a guy relaxing.

You've either lost your mind, blown your mind, or relaxed because you think your mind is better. :hmmm:

vienna
05-12-13, 08:17 PM
It's either a guy grabbing his head or a guy relaxing.

You've either lost your mind, blown your mind, or relaxed because you think your mind is better. :hmmm:
Not even close. It's not a form of 'smiley' or 'emoticon'; nice vivid imagination, though...

<O>

Onkel Neal
05-12-13, 08:39 PM
And I would be thinking "How the hell did i not hear this guy coming!?" if somebody attacked me with a lawnmower. :O:

Well, he's been running that lawnmower all morning, maybe he blitzed you... :O:

Red October1984
05-12-13, 08:49 PM
Not even close. It's not a form of 'smiley' or 'emoticon'; nice vivid imagination, though...

<O>

You're going to have to give me time on this one... :hmmm: Targor Avelany always came into Subsim Chat with o/ as a wave and o7 as a salute so I assumed that <O> was a guy leaning back with his hands behind his head.

Well, he's been running that lawnmower all morning, maybe he blitzed you... :O:

He'll have to get down my driveway first. People don't even take their cars down my driveway out of fear of bottoming out in the 6in deep potholes. You just got to go around them! And even then, they can't get in my house...

Unless I was somewhere else. There used to be a guy in town who got his license taken away so he drove his lawnmower all over town and whenever he wanted to go somewhere. It very well could've been him. :D

Onkel Neal
05-12-13, 08:57 PM
Yeah, it was that guy, and his mower was turbocharged.

Red October1984
05-12-13, 09:16 PM
Yeah, it was that guy, and his mower was turbocharged.

I'm dead serious. There was a guy like that. It was hilarious. He had an old riding mower and a trailer for his stuff.

Why would you wish severe injury or death upon me by the town bum? :har:

C'mon Neal. Who pissed you off at work? :O:

Raptor1
05-12-13, 09:36 PM

<O>

Is it a secret Freemason symbol meant to identify you as a servant of the reptilian aliens who actually control our society from the shadows? :hmmm:

vienna
05-12-13, 09:42 PM
Is it a secret Freemason symbol meant to identify you as a servant of the reptilian aliens who actually control our society from the shadows? :hmmm:

Umm, no. But, if you'll excuse me, I must amend a litlle list I'm keeping... :D

<O>

Red October1984
05-12-13, 09:43 PM

I was going to say that it's a secret symbol for the Magic Tree House kids that use the treehouse to go back in time. This must be the special birthsign of Jack. :hmmm:

Yes. This is Real. (http://www.magictreehouse.com/)

Jimbuna
05-13-13, 06:02 AM
Umm, no. But, if you'll excuse me, I must amend a litlle list I'm keeping... :D

<O>

We should compare notes/lists some day :hmmm:

Schroeder
05-13-13, 07:13 AM
Does the question mark at the end of your sentence indicate that you've lost track of the people who are your servants....?:hmm2:

vienna
05-15-13, 01:11 PM
I was going to say that it's a secret symbol for the Magic Tree House kids that use the treehouse to go back in time. This must be the special birthsign of Jack. :hmmm:

Never even heard of the Magic Tree House; so, no...

There are actually two answers to the symbol: one so arcane as to be a "you had to be there" sort of thing; the other, while obscure, is still knowable...

We should compare notes/lists some day :hmmm:

There may not be time enough in eternity to complete my list... :D

I suddenly have an urge to hear a little bit of Gilbert & Sullivan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-_m6EZ1SUk

<O>

Jimbuna
05-15-13, 01:52 PM
LOL :)