PDA

View Full Version : protection system error

Joe S
05-03-13, 09:58 PM
I just tried to run SHIII on my new computer and it will not run due to a "protection system error"

Can anyone tell me what the fix is?

Thanks!

Joe

BigWalleye
05-03-13, 10:45 PM
Just a WAG: You are running Vista/7/8. You installed SH3 to the Program Files (86) directory. And you haven't had time to fiddle with the User Access Control function yet.

Easy answer: Uninstall SH3. Reinstall to a directory you call c:/SH3. That may well get rid of the error. There may be easier fixes than a reinstall, and if there are, someone on this forum is likely to know them. Good luck.

Peter Cremer
05-04-13, 12:56 PM
I just turned off the User Access Control and it works for me.

Joe S
05-04-13, 09:52 PM
How do I turn off the user Access control? I am running Windows 7.Thanks!
Joe S

desertstriker
05-04-13, 11:26 PM
something in the control panel under system and security if i remember correctly.

Peter Cremer
05-06-13, 05:10 PM
I think it goes like this:

1. Open control panel.
2. Select "User Accounts".
3. Select "User Accounts Control Settings".
4. Move the adjustable button all the way down to turn it off.
5. Restart the computer for it to take effect.

Pisces
05-07-13, 10:43 AM
I think it goes like this:

1. Open control panel.
2. Select "User Accounts".
3. Select "User Accounts Control Settings".
4. Move the adjustable button all the way down to turn it off.
5. Restart the computer for it to take effect.

Just make sure you have a thorough virusscanning habbit and not install everything that walks under the sun. User Account Control gives you a warning when fishy stuff is happening. Disable at your own risk. Do realize that you can give those creepy things administrative rights on your computer this way.

Herr-Berbunch
05-07-13, 10:54 AM
Just make sure you have a thorough virusscanning habbit and not install everything that walks under the sun. User Account Control gives you a warning when fishy stuff is happening. Disable at your own risk. Do realize that you can give those creepy things administrative rights on your computer this way.

Pisces beat me to it. :up:

Mittelwaechter
05-07-13, 11:32 AM
^^ Have to agree. UAC is a security layer to protect your system.

Better follow BigWalleye's advise and intstall NOT into default path.
This UAC feature protects only certain - important - system sections from unintentional changes, but will ignore something like C:\games\...

Edit: Btw - Joe - what "protection system error" does it show? Do you have an old SH3 version - protected by StarForce?
Check your SH3.exe in the main directory -> rightclick -> properties -> details: what version does it read?
(the old StarForced versions read the unpatched 1.4.0.0 - the new ones are unprotected and patched, they read 1.4.0.1)