PDA

View Full Version : Switching to manual by iteself

hatemf90
05-02-13, 04:02 AM
So every time I start a new career and finally find something to sink I lock it and I find im on manual targeting, I go back switch it off and start a another career only to find Im using manual again... honestly Im getting tired of the awkward clunky laggy SH4... if it wasnt for SH3's old graphics I wouldnt be coming back to this, get disappointed and leave it again....

fireftr18
05-02-13, 06:28 AM
While in the office, look to the left. There is a radio on the shelf. Click on it to change the options. The options in the main menu don't take for careers.

Sharkey
05-02-13, 08:02 AM
While in the office, look to the left. There is a radio on the shelf. Click on it to change the options. The options in the main menu don't take for careers.

Theres something else I didnt know! :o:salute:

hatemf90
05-02-13, 08:54 AM
ok fair enough... another question, how do i read the map? when it says there will be a target 0730N, 110E, where is that exactly?

Sailor Steve
05-02-13, 09:08 AM
Latitude and Longitude coordinates are along the top of the map (East-West) and the right side (North-South).

hatemf90
05-02-13, 09:12 AM
Ok but I dont see 0730 on the north south scale

Sailor Steve
05-02-13, 09:21 AM
Interesting. There is no 0730. 73 N 110 E is up in northern Russia. 07.30 N 110 E, however, is in the ocean between Vietnam and Malaysia.
http://itouchmap.com/latlong.html

MetalMania
05-02-13, 11:00 AM
Remember also that the coordinates are being given in degrees and minutes, so in your example I'm guessing it's 7 degrees, 30 minutes N. Each degree is divided into 60 'minutes', so 07 30' N is halfway between 7 and 8 degrees. If you can't see that on the map, either zoom out more to see a broader range of degrees on the degree scales or find the general area and then zoom in to get a more precise view of the reported area. Depending on your options configuration, when a contact report comes in there will be a red symbol placed on the map at the location. You can click on the symbol and it will show the time, direction, and general speed that was reported. You can then try to match the time next to the map symbol to the time of the radio report to see if you're looking at the right one.

Most of the time, those reports will be so far away they won't really have any impact on your patrol. However, if any of them are heading in the direction of where I'm going or if our paths cross, I will plot a rough line based on the reported course and speed and then project my own position at that time to see if they might coincide. If they're 1500 miles away when the report comes in, it's probably not of much use to you. But if they're only a couple hundred miles away, you might be able to plot an intercept course to an area of possible contact if it doesn't take you too far off your intended course. On my current patrol for example, there have been several reports of task forces heading to and from my patrol area. I haven't been there long enough yet, but based on those reports I'm expecting to possibly encounter more military shipping than usual.

Sailor Steve
05-02-13, 11:21 AM
Very good explanation, MM. Thanks for adding that. :rock:

Redmane
05-02-13, 05:55 PM
Just a note about latitude and longitude: The reason this seems a bit different has to do with the tradition of navigation. The degrees and minutes thing refers to degrees and minutes of arc, the arc being the curvature of the earth. MM was right on in explaining this when he said the minutes being 30 means your target would be half-way between the degrees, which are always stated first. This whole thing is derived from the time it takes for the celestial bodies (sun, moon, stars) to move across the sky relative to a given position on the planet's surface, so I suppose that's why minutes were chosen as the smaller scale of measurement between the degrees.