PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Torpedios

MarkCt
04-25-13, 11:14 AM
I know we discussed this topic many, many times. Playing TMO only this time I had premature detonations of all six of my forward Torpedios, all four of my stern Torpedios and another forward one, 11 in all before I had one that hit.

It was the perfect setup of a convoy, early war, choppy water, night and destroyers on the other side of where I was. Ive had one or two explode but never 11 straight. It's a good thing when they exploded it didn't cause the convoy to scatter so I was able to get a couple.

After reading about prematures and duds here I knew it was part of the game and a part of history. Does anyone know what the real life record was for premature and dud Torpedios on a single sub was?

BigWalleye
04-25-13, 02:28 PM
Not sure - as you said, this topic has been visited before - but IIRC, The actual R/L record was more than 11. They WERE that bad. We sent brave men 3000 miles into enemy waters armed with weapons that would fail more often than they worked, to protect bureaucratic turf and egos. Let's never forget that.

Fifi
04-25-13, 02:44 PM
Human impact aside, when you know the cost of one torpedo...what a waste it was too!

Redmane
04-27-13, 04:06 PM
Not sure when you will see this, but in TMO there's a message that comes across your radio, sometime in '42 I think, relating the fact that a submarine fired 11 or 12 torpedos and only one functioned correctly. From what I understand, Ducimus included actual messages trasmitted by the boats in the radio traffic for the mod, so I'm betting this actually happened.

donna52522
04-28-13, 02:01 PM
Turn off your magnetic pistol in choppy water. Early war will have many duds and pre-matures. TMO is meant to replicate real life problems.

I believe Ducimus explained once how to use them best....something like using the contact pistol in choppy or rough seas, and the magnetic pistol in calm seas for best results. You will still have malfunctions all through the war but they will dwindle in mid 1943.

Oh and your torpedoes will also run deep in early war so set for shallow.

Redmane
05-01-13, 09:45 PM
Well, I really don't mean to contradict anyone, but just a note on the magnetic pistols: I also read something elsewhere here on the forum about turning them off in choppy water, and have done so on two occasions. Both times I missed my target, and I think it was because of that. Here's what happened: In both cases I was trying to sink a destroyer, obviously a much shallower draft ship than most freighters or larger warships. In both cases my solution was right on, but the torpedos passed under the target without detonating, and I watched in frustration as they motored uselessly away. So on a subsequent attack, again, heavy chop, I left them on, and sank the target, and the event cam showed the torpedos impacting the hull. I always set depth to absolute minimum on the Mrk 14's, at least until after July '43, and even after that, still min. on shallow draft targets. I have had my share of premature dets on other occasions, but now in similar situations to the above, I leave the pistols active.