PDA

View Full Version : Fuel question

jonpfl
04-20-13, 09:25 AM
All,

I turned off unlimited fuel and I had a mission to patrol off the coast of Japan so I left PH, refitted at Midway but by the time I got to Japan, I was at 50% diesel so I had to turn around.

How is one supposed to patrol when it takes 50% of your fuel to get to Japan??

Thx
jonpfl

fireftr18
04-20-13, 10:00 AM
After leaving Pearl, stop at Midway and refuel before heading to your patrol zone. I think it was Ducimus that discovered the best speed for fuel efficiency is around 10 knots. In TMO, the "standard" setting on the telegraph goes to the most efficient speed for the particular boat except for the S-18. With electrics, the slower the better. Don't stay submerged unless you absolutely need to. Run slowest speed unless you need to go faster for tactical reasons. When you resurface, your engines run flat out to recharge the batteries.

merc4ulfate
04-20-13, 03:39 PM
10 knots will get you the best fuel mileage. Going to Japan and back to Pearl is not a problem at 10 knots. What I do is when I am heading back I check my range to way point and then check range at current speed and adjust the speed to get me there the fastest without running out. I set my last way point to Midway first that way I can refuel there then make a flank speed run to Pearl to save a few seconds LOL

TorpX
04-20-13, 06:00 PM
How is one supposed to patrol when it takes 50% of your fuel to get to Japan??

Besides topping off your tanks, another thing you can do is to lay to and wait for contacts to come to you. Many think you need to cruise morning, noon, and night, to obtain contacts, but it isn't so.

bandit484
04-20-13, 09:53 PM
Besides topping off your tanks, another thing you can do is to lay to and wait for contacts to come to you. Many think you need to cruise morning, noon, and night, to obtain contacts, but it isn't so.

I concur I always go to my operating area on ahead standard, then when I get to where I want to patrol I wait around and stalk for my prey. That way I can have plenty of fuel to overtake my next victim. I have yet had a problem getting back to base after I have completed my patrol.:up:

Pisces
04-21-13, 04:03 AM
Set speed to a knots value by clicking on the speed dial. Then after the speed is attained, ask the navigator for the endurance at current speed. (Some icon on the buttonbar) Do this for several different speeds and you'll find a maximum endurance somewhere.

Hinrich Schwab
04-21-13, 09:09 AM
Another thing to highlight is multiple cycles of submerging and surfacing with protracted periods of battery operation and recharging also kill fuel economy as you must burn more fuel to compensate for maintaining speed while the diesels are clutched to the generators. Submerge only when absolutely necessary, avoid going faster than Ahead Standard except as needed in order to minimize extra fuel consumption during protracted recharge cycles.

joefremont
04-22-13, 12:14 PM
I had the same experience, first few missions I went from PH to japan on full no problem, then I turned off unlimited fuel and saw I was way low on fuel before I reached Japan. had to double back to midway to refuel. Ever since then I stay at standard and never pass up a chance to refuel when near any base.

merc4ulfate
04-23-13, 05:03 PM
I disagree Hinrich. When I am at 10 knots I get the perfect balance of charging to mileage. I have taken measurements of how many miles I have left at 10 knots then submerged for an entire day and resurfaced and charged and I always have more miles to fuel ratio than I did before I submerged.

Since I am subtracting miles from my destination while underwater running on batteries it works out in my favor every time when I switch to running submerged during the day at one third and surface at night and run one third. :ping:

acofm89
04-24-13, 09:08 PM
I agree with those above saying 10 knots is the the optimal speed/fuel consumtion speed setting. Although, later in the war refueling locations will become much more abound and within closer proximity to patrol zones. So, travelling at ahead standard or more becomes much more feasable as fuel economy becomes less of a worry.

Redmane
04-27-13, 04:14 PM
I have to concurr with the 2/3 ahead speed as the most efficient in terms of fuel consumption and actually getting somewhere. If you are running TMO the mod includes a max range at current speed query command when you are in the control room, and that's what the above posters are referring to. Also dont forget that if your battery is drained to a low state, as far as TMO goes you dont have to be moving to recharge. You can sit at full stop, time compress, and save a bit more fuel getting the batteries charged back up.