PDA

View Full Version : Circles around ships

jonpfl
04-18-13, 09:53 AM
All,

Can someone explain what the circles around ships mean (on the map)?

I noticed the destroyers have partial circles as well.

Thx
jonpfl

Gilead Abyss
04-18-13, 12:03 PM
I'll give the short answer, and others here will certainly expand.
The full and partial circles around surface vessels represent the approximate detection ranges: visual and sonar. This is affected by several factors in the vanilla game, and some of the mods change this further.

If you are just getting started, look through the "Skipper's bag of tricks" sticky at the top of this page for introduction and training, and search this forum or post questions as them come up.

:salute:

sharkbit
04-18-13, 12:20 PM
Gilead is correct. They are detection ranges, visual and sonar. If a ship has radar, that will show as well. The partial circle shows the dead spot from the ship's propellers.

The ranges are in the best of conditions. In bad weather, the actual detection range will be less but the circles don't change to reflect that. Just start bing aware of what you're doing if you are in one of the circles.

:)

fireftr18
04-18-13, 01:59 PM
Welcome aboard jonpfl!! :salute:

I have nothing to add about the detection ranges.

As the self appointed Subsim assigner of jobs, I am assigning you look for the circle in the water and warn the Skipper so we don't get inside them.
:hmmm:

merc4ulfate
04-18-13, 07:28 PM
It has been so long since I played the game in a stock mode that I can't remember circle even being there.

At a good mod to your game ... one that gets rid of those rings.

I run the latest TMO+RSRD+TRAVELLER mods