PDA

View Full Version : Special abilities

Dorjun Driver
04-17-13, 01:51 PM
One of my crew just gained the special ability of MASTER ENGINEER. It states in the pop-up that the required compartment is either the engine room or the control room. Fine.

My question is: If I put him in the damage control team, does his special ability go by the board, or is it added to the overall proficiency/efficiency of the DCT?

Thanks,
Dorj

Armistead
04-17-13, 01:53 PM
Correct.

raymond6751
04-17-13, 01:59 PM
Armistead didn't clarify so...

I'd say he is best left in the compartments named. On DC he might be anywhere. The crew in each compartment automatically go into damage control when their section is damaged. The DC team are extras. Just my opinion - never encountered the special abilities yet.

Dorjun Driver
04-17-13, 02:01 PM
Uh, which one? Does he keep those abilities or lose them?:huh:

Or is that the joke?:D

(http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=213362)

Dorjun Driver
04-17-13, 02:02 PM
Thanks raymond6751. I guess I won't have to post my last post!

Fifi
04-17-13, 03:13 PM
I think best is to put in DC the guy with the little green wrench, when avalaible :yep:

Dorjun Driver
04-17-13, 03:31 PM
So. That's 2.5 votes for each option. Perhaps we should start a poll!:-?

Lokisaga
04-17-13, 05:16 PM
As I understand it, the master engineer needs to be in either the engine room or the control room for his special skills to work. I seem to remember his green wrench icon going dark if you put him on the DC team indicating that his skills are ineffective there. He's physically in the engine room, but from a functional standpoint you can think of him being on the DC team and in the engine room at the same time. You're getting 2 good CPOs while only using 1 crew slot.

Armistead
04-17-13, 05:18 PM
Uh, which one? Does he keep those abilities or lose them?:huh:

Or is that the joke?:D

(http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/member.php?u=213362)

If he isn't lit up green, he ain't working and he will only light up green if he's in the required compartment....

Dorjun Driver
04-17-13, 06:02 PM
That makes makes sense Armistead and Lokisaga. I did not know the significance of the colour change.

And let me assure you Armistead, I was neither laughing at you nor the handsomest dog I've seen in my entire life.

Armistead
04-17-13, 06:06 PM
Some crew are on a timer for ability, you activate them with the SA tab, then the timer comes on.

If you want to mod your on special crew, you can find the info in the

Data/UPCData/UPCCrewData

You'll find 3 files inside. Here you can adjust parameters, tweak or build players with SA's. You can open each file with notepad, most values are obvious.

Data/UPCData/UPCCrewData/Ranks.upc

Basically sets the rank to the ability, percentages, etc.

Data/UPCData/UPCCrewData/SpecialAbilities.upc

Basically list the abilities and parameters. Here you can choose what compartment the ability works in, including the entire sub.
Most values are obvious.

Data/UPCData/UPCCrewData/CrewMembers.upc

Where you activate the ability for a specific crew member. Many mods have the ability cut off. If you want it back on, replace NULL with
the ability. For instance this fellow. You can see his ability is setup, but not active. To cut it on, just paste the ability in place of NULL.

[CrewMember 54]
ID= Crew-CO-Rank-1-Ability-Torpedo-Expert
NameDisplayable= NULL
CrewMemberNameIDLinks= NormalUSNames,CommonUSNames
DateOfBirth= NULL
Head= NULL
Voice= NULL
Tatoo= NULL
Rank= CPO
CurrentExperience= 0
Qualifications= QualTorpedo7
SpecialAbilities= NULL (to cut on, paste "Ability-Torpedo-Expert"}
IntelligenceCoef= 0.50
LeadershipCoef= 0.15
MechanicalCoef= 0.30
ElectricsCoef= 0.30
GunsCoef= 0.30
WatchmanCoef= 0.30
Medals=
Patrols=0
Morale= Normal
FatigueCoef=0
Hitpoints= 1.0
RenownCost= 2000
Notes= ; should be editable by the player

Many mods tweak the SA's, like TRAV mod does to TMO. If you mod, start with the last files overwritten. I wanted a few SA men with TRAV mod, so I used his files as a base and cut a few of the others on and tweaked a few other things to my liking.

Dorjun Driver
04-18-13, 11:03 AM
Thanks Armistead. Good to know.