PDA

View Full Version : Installation steps for Silent Hunter III (2013)

Father Goose
04-13-13, 11:19 PM
I have a new computer Windows 7 Professional 64bit with a recent SH3 disc (no starforce). I also want to install the GWX mod. About all I know is do not install in the program files folder.

Note: I have read threads regarding the installation process and it seems very confusing. A lot of the posts start in 2009 and include instructions like, install up to here, don't click finish, don't run the game after initial install, do this then, set resolution for this. Confusing. :confused:

Before I make a mistake and have to do the dance and uninstall/re-install, I want to ask the seasoned captains...
What is the 2013 best method step-by-step to install SH3?

I greatly appreciate any help. :salute:

GoldenRivet
04-14-13, 12:06 AM
I may be mistaken, however if your disk is relatively new, and starforce free, it should just be a matter of installing SH3 like you would any other game

I am using win7, i purchased the starforce free Steam version a few months ago and it fired right up no trouble at all

Raptor
04-14-13, 10:19 AM
Just DO NOT install it in c:/Program Files. Windows protects that directory.

C:/Program Files (X86) works OK, but I (and others here) feel it is wiser to make a whole new directory. For example, I used c:/Games. I have multiple copies of SH3 here.

After you do the initial clean install of SH3, do not run or modify it.

COPY that original install as many times as you want to different sub-directories. Use one of these COPIES for playing vanilla SH3 or for modding, as in adding GWX Gold and the like. That way, if you're forced to delete a modded version for some reason, you still have a clean version safely protected from which you can make a new copy.

You will need a copy of MULTISH3 to set up the saved games subdirectory in My Documents.

Sailor Steve
04-14-13, 11:20 AM
Just to add to Raptors advice. You can install a clean copy of SH3 then add the 1.4 Patch.
He said it's a recent disc, with no StarForce. This means that it is already patched to 1.4b. If he does as you say he'll get a message telling him that the version of the game is unrecognized and he'll be quite confused.

RustySubmarine
04-14-13, 11:33 AM
Sorry Steve, didn't know that. My copy is one of the early DVD;s where you have to patch it to V 1.4

I think I will delete my last post to save any confusion.

Father Goose
04-14-13, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys. I will try my install next week after reviewing the advice here.
Like any good sub captain, I am patient...or I am a patient. Anyways, I digress. :-j

Thanks Sailor Steve for clarifying the version to avoid confusion.

I plan to install on a D: drive completely away from the C:Program files directory. So far it appears there should be no issues to initially install it.

Current questions:
Should I reboot the computer after initial install?
Should I play the sim after the initial install before installing GWX thru JSGME?
Any advice on screen resolution?

GoldenRivet
04-14-13, 01:38 PM
Should I reboot the computer after initial install?

Couldnt Hurt
Should I play the sim after the initial install before installing GWX thru JSGME?
if anything it will allow you to see the difference between stock and modded SH3 Any advice on screen resolution?

none from me, I am running full screen 1680x1050 without trouble

sharkbit
04-14-13, 08:32 PM
Install SH3.
Play stock and be bored outta you mind.
Install Mega-Mod of your choice-GWX or NYGM.
Install JSGME.
Install SHCommander.
Say "Wow!"
Add mods to suit taste-create mod soup.
Add too many conflicting mods until game crashes on load.
Pull hair out in frustration and start disabling mods until fixed and try different combinations in your mod soup.
Finally get game playable and stay up til the wee hours of morning terrorizing shipping. :arrgh!:

:D

Father Goose
04-14-13, 08:45 PM
Install SH3.
Play stock and be bored outta you mind.
Install Mega-Mod of your choice-GWX or NYGM.
Install JSGME.
Install SHCommander.
Say "Wow!"
Add mods to suit taste-create mod soup.
Add too many conflicting mods until game crashes on load.
Pull hair out in frustration and start disabling mods until fixed and try different combinations in your mod soup.
Finally get game playable and stay up til the wee hours of morning terrorizing shipping. :arrgh!:

:D

Install SHCommander!!! I've been reading about that. Sounds like a great mod.
Unsure how to install it. Use JSGME?
Sounds like there are separate files for GWX. How do you install these files?
Do I understand that SH3Commander is a separate program that we run first and then launch SH3 from inside SH3 Commander?

HW3
04-15-13, 07:57 AM
SH3 Commander can be installed in its own folder separate from SH3. Once installed you point it at your SH3 installation. The GWX config files are 5 files that you allow to overwrite the files already present in SH3 Commander in the config folder. Yes you launch SH3 using SH3 Commander.

:subsim:

sharkbit
04-15-13, 12:25 PM
Do I understand that SH3Commander is a separate program that we run first and then launch SH3 from inside SH3 Commander?

It's not really a mod per se. It is a program that allows you to manage you crew, award medals, change numerous settings, add sabotage and/or malfunctions, and a host of other things. I'm still learning new things to do with it.

You then launch SH3 from inside commander to allow for what chnges you made go into effect.

Definitely a must have for SH3.

:)

Kelly621
04-15-13, 12:51 PM
Father Goose.....here is a good place to get started with SH3Commander...will answer a few of your questions. It is one of those "Don't leave home without it" programs for SH3

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=147237&highlight=sh3commander

Kelly621

Father Goose
04-15-13, 08:15 PM
Thanks fellas. I installed (outside program files) SH3 today, tested it, all good. Then installed GWX, tested it, all good. I noted in a single mission, the ships on the horizon were not as clear as they are in SH4. At a great distance, almost appeared as if they were above the water line. Don't know if that's normal.

I wonder if I need this: Silent Hunter Resolution Fix 1.4b

Will tackle SH Commander tomorrow. Thanks for the advice and the link. :up:

jonmar
04-16-13, 12:23 AM
I wish people would stop freaking out about installing games into program files or program files (x86) (I see this on almost all gaming forums I go to)... as long as you turn off UAC (it's a useless "feature" that just treats the user like an idiot leper) you won't have any problems installing games into those folders. All of my games go into program files (x86) and I have never once had even a single problem because of it.

The easiest most painless way to install SH3 is to get it on Steam and click the install button. Installing from a disc is only slightly more hassle from inserting the disc and choosing an install location.

In either case SH3 should run without a problem straight after install. No trickery needed. The only issue is that if your monitor's refresh rate is less than 60Hz you will get the "cannot initialize 3D engine" error and the game won't start. That has nothing to do with windows 7 or 64bit or anything like that. You just have to change your refresh rate to 60Hz or higher and you're good to go.

Pisces
03-30-14, 07:36 AM
I wish people would stop freaking out about installing games into program files or program files (x86) (I see this on almost all gaming forums I go to)... as long as you turn off UAC (it's a useless "feature" that just treats the user like an idiot leper) you won't have any problems installing games into those folders. All of my games go into program files (x86) and I have never once had even a single problem because of it. ...
Please tell why it is a useless feature? I'd rather have some line of defense than nothing. Also, it very wise not to have your usual user-account being an administrator-type. What happens if your OS contracts a virus or worm, before M$ was able to patch the security hole? Without UAC you would not notice it doing strange things at all. And as an administrator it gets free reign on your system.