PDA

View Full Version : We should have a convention.

J0313
04-11-13, 09:48 PM
Here is an idea, Let me know if it has already been brought up. We should get a donation, much like how we donate to keep the site up and running, inorder to secure a venue so that we coudl have a subsim get together sort of like a convention. I know that it would be hard for everybody to come together so we should set a date and make it for say a year or 18 months from now so that where ever it takes place people who live outside of what ever country it is held in would have enough time to get the finances needed to go. I would go becouse it would be nice to finally put faces with names and meet the names I have become familiar with on this forum.

GoldenRivet
04-11-13, 10:02 PM
We already have an annual subsim meet

Normally in the late summer early fall if I recall. It's normally announced some time beforehand.

You might PM Neal and see if he has anything cooking.

GoldenRivet
04-11-13, 10:18 PM
I am still of the opinion that we need additional forums for the following

Subsim Northeast
Subsim Southeast
Subsim South Central
Subsim Southwest
Subsim West Coast
Subsim Mid America
Subsim Northwest

This would allow members in those respective areas to plan a semi-annual meet & greet type of event.

a moderator could be appointed for each group to help keep things moving and coordinate events, and votes could be taken as to when and where to meet for each region whenever necessary.

Each group would be fairly close to a sub or warship and could visit for a guided tour, coordinate a sleep over aboard the boat and find local events for a weekend.

Texas has the seawolf park with the USS Cavalla

Oklahoma has a sub

Cleveland Ohio has the USS Cod

Mobile Alabama has the USS Drum and the BB Alabama

There is a russian boat by the queen mary in Long Beach, CA another off Manhattan

Chicago has the U-505

the list goes on really http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submarine_museums#United_States

there actually isnt much of a reason NOT to do something like this regional subsim meet thing. Depending on interest you could have one every quarter or just one every 4-6 months or one a year etc

additionally, it would be a lot easier for members to attend a regional meet as opposed to someone in New York trying to get to Houston, or someone in Houston trying to get to Connecticut

Finally, with each member in attendence, a "finders fee" of sorts could be a minimal donation to subsim for allowing space on the site to coordinate the meet

Sailor Steve
04-11-13, 10:48 PM
Yep, we've been doing it on a semi-regular bases for a decade now.

2003: London
2004: Houston
2005: Amsterdam
2008: Houston
2009: Copenhagen
2010: New London

It's been three years since the last one.

J0313
04-11-13, 10:48 PM
That is a good idea Rivet. It would allow more frequent get togethers buy deviding it up that way.

J0313
04-11-13, 10:53 PM
You mention Seawolf park. My grandfather was one of the founding members of that park back when it belonged to the Submarine Veterans of WW2 Texas chapter. I used to give tours of the Cavalla whe I was about 7 or 8 for a nickel apiece. Of course it wasnt officila but people used to get a kick out of seeing an 8 year old who knew so much about a WW2 fleet boat. Once the city of Galveston took over the whole park went to crap though. No effort, interest, money or time invested in it anymore.

J0313
04-11-13, 10:56 PM
I didnt know about the get togethers becouse I was in Iraq for several of those years. I was a little busy worrying about more pressing matters, if you know what I mean.

GoldenRivet
04-11-13, 11:26 PM
Then you'll be happy to know its in pretty good shape now. Or at least it was when I was last there about 2 yrs ago

RustySubmarine
04-12-13, 12:55 PM
I doubt very much I would be able to afford a trip to the USA, not on my measly state pension anyway. After all my deductions each month, I am lucky if I can save anything at all.

HW3
04-12-13, 01:30 PM
After all my deductions each month, I am lucky if I can save anything at all.

Boy do I know that feeling! I got a small raise at work the start of this year, ended up costing me money. I now get less take home pay than I was getting last year. With Obama and his minions in charge, I'm afraid it will only get worse for us here in the states.:nope:

:subsim:

RustySubmarine
04-13-13, 07:39 AM
Boy do I know that feeling! I got a small raise at work the start of this year, ended up costing me money. I now get less take home pay than I was getting last year. With Obama and his minions in charge, I'm afraid it will only get worse for us here in the states.:nope:

It's the same everywhere friend, The UK Government have really clamped down on the welfare state, everything is being cut back on, Health, Defence, Education cuts, you name it. The future is going to be a struggle for all of us for a few years to come I'm afraid. I remember the golden years back in the sixties, when most people had a job and money to spend. Not any more!

HW3
04-13-13, 09:00 AM
The Obamabots here are pushing more and more people into the welfare state. They know once they get them depending on it, they will vote for the party who backs it, ie Democrats.

Sailor Steve
04-13-13, 09:03 AM
Sorry to interrupt, but politics belong in General Topics; even politics where everyone agrees.

RustySubmarine
04-13-13, 01:04 PM
I agree with you Steve, it just got side tracked a bit. Yes I will spend 24 hours lashed to the mast as my punishment!:arrgh!:

HW3
04-13-13, 05:03 PM
Sorry Steve, I will join Rusty at the mast!

Sailor Steve
04-13-13, 06:28 PM
No, you will both report to the galley, where you will eat cookie's so very German attempt at spaghetti. If that doesn't do the trick, then a transfer to Detroit seems to be in order.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVDDYQlmq0w

RustySubmarine
04-14-13, 04:21 AM
:/\\!! I hate Spaghetti

Jimbuna
04-15-13, 07:45 AM
Sorry to interrupt, but politics belong in General Topics; even politics where everyone agrees.

Ten lashes per man.....carry on http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/img144/8633/whip1ul9.gif

Oh and back OT...I had a great time at the Houston Meet 2008 :sunny:

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4158/p1000149e.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/507/p1000149e.jpg/)

Sailor Steve
04-15-13, 07:46 AM
:/\\!! I hate Spaghetti
That's the point, I think. Well, I don't think, but that's another topic altogether.

On the other hand, how can anyone hate one of the best foods ever created? More for me, I guess. :sunny:

Ten lashes per man.....carry on http://imgcash3.imageshack.us/img144/8633/whip1ul9.gif
With spaghetti!

GoldenRivet
04-15-13, 07:53 AM
Yes that was a good time.

the whole bunch was really friendly. Officially, ole McBee was the first subsim member i ever met.

He greeted me at the door of Neal's Subsim HQ and introduced me to Neal who immediately set out to making me a pancake breakfast. :up:

and who could forget Steve and Jim

Being an international forum, it is difficult to coordinate events, it is even more difficult to coordinate them by region and do so fairly.

Technically if we had a Subsim Northeast, southeast etc for the US we would theoretically have to do the same for many other countries as well.

Perhaps a "Subsim Regional Meets" sub forum with sticky threads for each region? but then again that would likely require a lot of thread editing as new dates and destinations were selected.

EDIT:

is it just me or does this seem more of a General Topics appropriate thread?

Jimbuna
04-15-13, 07:56 AM
With spaghetti!

Whatever turns you on :O:

Yes that was a good time.

the whole bunch was really friendly. Officially, ole McBee was the first subsim member i ever met.

He greeted me at the door of Neal's Subsim HQ and introduced me to Neal who immediately set out to making me a pancake breakfast. :up:

and who could forget Steve and Jim

Being an international forum, it is difficult to coordinate events, it is even more difficult to coordinate them by region and do so fairly.

Technically if we had a Subsim Northeast, southeast etc for the US we would theoretically have to do the same for many other countries as well.

Perhaps a "Subsim Regional Meets" sub forum with sticky threads for each region? but then again that would likely require a lot of thread editing as new dates and destinations were selected.

EDIT:

is it just me or does this seem more of a General Topics appropriate thread?

A great Meet John and a surefire way of cementing friendships in person :sunny:

I'm hoping there will be a London or UK based one in the future because Steve will be my guest of honour :salute:

Herr-Berbunch
04-15-13, 08:58 AM

I'm hoping there will be a London or UK based one in the future because Steve will be my guest of honour :salute:

Sometimes I think this forum needs a like button.

flag4
04-15-13, 10:50 AM
Whatever turns you on :O:

say half way...Manchester?

Jimbuna
04-15-13, 03:00 PM
Sometimes I think this forum needs a like button.

Rgr that....I sincerely hope you get to one some day because they are an unforgettable experience :sunny:

say half way...Manchester?

I sometimes feel like a fraudster because I've spoken to Neal on numerous occasions regarding a London or UK Meet and I know how hard and time consuming a task organising an event like this is but Neal is understandably very busy these days and I'm also unable to do much because of other commitments.

There shouldn't be major obstacles in a group of Brits forming a small action group and working on an itinerary a year in advance of an event.

Hopefully one day.

flag4
04-15-13, 03:44 PM
...don't forget. next month in Liverpool the Battle for the Atlantic Commemoration starts with all sorts of events taking place. I haven't seen the itinerary but when I find out stuff ill post it here on Subsim. I believe there'll be an aircraft carrier parked up?

Jimbuna
04-15-13, 04:45 PM
Well it probably won't be a RN one :)

GoldenRivet
04-15-13, 07:17 PM
Well it probably won't be a RN one :)

:lol:

J0313
04-15-13, 10:37 PM
I wish I could have made it to one of the past get togethers. Like I said I was serving in Iraq for 42 months during that time period and I wasnt able to really pay attention to the forum. I really didnt get into Subsim until after I stopped deploying. I will be able to pay more attention now though so if one is planned and Its not to far away I will bring the family and make a trip of it.

J0313
04-17-13, 09:17 PM
Is it me or does this forum seem clickish.

GoldenRivet
04-17-13, 10:04 PM
How do you mean?

Kpt. Lehmann
04-17-13, 10:30 PM
@J0313... Welcome home!:salute::salute::salute:

Regarding Subsim conventions etc., if I ever go to another... I respectfully request that any sliding glass doors remain DIRTY for the duration of my visit.

Thank you, kind regards, and good night.

GoldenRivet
04-17-13, 10:31 PM

Regarding Subsim conventions etc., if I ever go to another... I respectfully request that any sliding glass doors remain DIRTY for the duration of my visit.

Thank you and kind regards.

I will never forget that :har:

Kpt. Lehmann
04-17-13, 10:33 PM
Great to see you GR! :shucks:

Give my regards to your family and have a good night.:arrgh!:

GoldenRivet
04-17-13, 10:38 PM
Is it me or does this forum seem clickish.

I guess i could understand what you mean, but you dont become a member of this forum and reach 5,000 - 10,000 - or even 30,000 posts without getting to know some folks.

I never really thought of subsim as being one to form cliques - there are members here i dont always agree with, but would gladly help them out in a pinch.

the salt at subsim runs deep for many regulars, we are all friends here... some perhaps nearing the status of family.

of the few forums im a member of - its the best, hands down

J0313
04-17-13, 10:44 PM

Thank you, kind regards, and good night.

Thanks Kpt. Lehman, I appreciate that.

J0313
04-17-13, 10:53 PM
I guess i could understand what you mean, but you dont become a member of this forum and reach 5,000 - 10,000 - or even 30,000 posts without getting to know some folks.

I never really thought of subsim as being one to form cliques - there are members here i dont always agree with, but would gladly help them out in a pinch.

the salt at subsim runs deep for many regulars, we are all friends here... some perhaps nearing the status of family.

of the few forums im a member of - its the best, hands down

I guess I get the feeling that unless you are a modder or have been an integral part of this forum for a very long time, some dont really want to take anything you say seriously. I would very much like to have some friends that actually understand me when a say a term like " fish " or ballast or any number of military terms in general. Thats why it would be great to see everybody in person so we could sit around and BS and finally put faces to names. I am not angry or anything like that. I am just a little disappointed. But of course not everybody on here gives me that vibe.

GoldenRivet
04-17-13, 11:03 PM
stick around long enough, you're bound to see a lot of that sort of terminology. Hope to have a subsim meet soon, hopefully one i can make it too this year.

:up:

HW3
04-18-13, 12:36 AM
J0313, If you go down to the special projects section of the forum, you will find links to a couple of the past meets with pictures. You can put some faces with names there, till there is another meet you can attend.:yep:

P.S. I should have checked to see if the picture links still work. I hope they do.