PDA

View Full Version : Do you text while you drive?

mapuc
04-11-13, 02:25 PM
From this article I understand it is not forbidden to do so while driving, in USA or in some state(don't know if it's forbidden in some state(s)

http://mashable.com/2013/04/11/texting-while-driving-kills/

In Sweden it is allowed to do so.

In Denmark it's forbidden and it gives you a "Cut" in your driving license if you do(if you being caught doing it)If you get 3 cuts within 3 years, you get your driving license suspended, conditional

Markus

Buddahaid
04-11-13, 02:28 PM
From this article I understand that is not forbidden to do so while driving.

http://mashable.com/2013/04/11/texting-while-driving-kills/

In Sweden it is allowed to do so.

In Denmark it's forbidden and it gives you a "Cut" in your driving license if you do(if you being caught doing it)If you get 3 cuts within 3 years, you get your driving license suspended, conditional

Markus

I don't and in California it is illegal to hold your phone while driving for calling, texting, using GPS, using maps, etc. Still see it everyday frequently though.

GoldenRivet
04-11-13, 02:48 PM
Some states are hands free states meaning the only legal way to use your cell phone is if it is through a device you don't have to touch.

I virtually never text and drive and when I do it is essentially just to say "yes" or "no" or "brb"

Otherwise the phone is piped through my bluetooth

Sailor Steve
04-11-13, 03:22 PM
I don't use the phone at all when I drive, to talk or to text. If it rings I ignore it. If I'm expecting an important call I'll pull over and see who it was. If it was the call I was expecting I'll call them right back, while parked. If I thought using the phone all the time was important for me I would have a hand-free setup.

I hate texting in general anyway.

Here in Utah it's completely legal to use the phone while driving.

Wolferz
04-11-13, 03:51 PM
Mine never leaves my pocket as long as the vehicle is in motion. Unless I'm a passenger.

As a former OTR driver, I've seen other drivers doing about anything you can think of while they are driving. It doesn't pay to be distracted from the task at hand because bad things can happen quicker than a splicket. That's half a New York second.

If you kill yourself while driving your phone booth, oh well. If you kill someone else, you should be put under the jail, never to see the light of day again. There's nothing so important that it can't wait until you're doing the proper speed for a telephone call or a text message. ZERO! Legal or not.

frau kaleun
04-11-13, 03:57 PM
I don't use the phone at all while driving but having only just recently gotten one that was worth having on all the time as a primary means of communication... I have to say it was hard NOT reaching for it when it rang or beeped in the car. And I'm not a person who LIKES being available all the time, I think it's just the result of having been conditioned always to answer when a phone goes off.

mookiemookie
04-11-13, 04:14 PM
No, and I think anyone that does is an idiot. My only hope is that they crash and kill themselves before their reckless and selfish behavior kills someone else.

Our governor, in his infinite wisdom, wouldn't sign a texting ban passed by the Texas legislature, calling it "a government effort to micromanage the behavior of adults." Well governor, how do you feel about laws against murder? Or food safety laws? Or school zone speed limits? Or child welfare laws? Or DUI laws? All of those are micromanaging the behavior of adults in the name of safety.

Morons who text when they drive are a hazard to everyone else on the road. And the "oh but people would still do it even if there was a law against it" excuse is weak sauce. Laws don't stop anyone from doing anything. They provide disincentives to behavior. And when the safety of Texas drivers is at stake, there's no reason to not put that disincentive in place.

Thank god mayor Annise Parker is trying to put a texting ban in place for the city of Houston. Lord knows we need it.

Stealhead
04-11-13, 05:16 PM
I think a law banning idiots would solve the problem of cell phone talking/texting and many of societies other problems.Only problem is legislatures are the biggest idiots and would never pass a law endangering themselves.

Penguin
04-11-13, 05:29 PM
Here in Utah it's completely legal to use the phone while driving.

Does Utah make a distinction between City Limits and rural areas? Because on the highway you might only run over an armadillo when you take your eyes off the road, in a town it might be a kid...

Here in Germany holding your phone in your hands while driving is not allowed. Though on my daily commute I see dozends having the phone on their ear or looking at its screen, and I mainly drive Autobahn. No fun to have distracted retards changing lanes when you go 90-100 mph, of course without using the signals, as the hand is occupied...
It seems that the people with the biggest cars are the biggest cheapos: pay 60000€ for a car, however investing 20 into a bluetooth headset is too much...:nope:

GoldenRivet
04-11-13, 05:41 PM
@ Mookie...

I think phones should automatically disable the feature when the phone is moving at more than 25 mph for example.

I always talk trash about folks who text and drive honestly, and while they may be idiots i would never go so far as to wish the person to die :doh:... i see a lot of "last messages" etc online and these people were usually writing a damn book while going down the interstate at 70 mph :nope:

given if im in a situation where someone texts me and i know its going to be an hour or so before i stop as is frequently the case... there will be a 25% chance i just shoot em "brb" and worry about it later. that said. a lot of the driving i do is in the open country roads where you might meet a hay tractor or a farmer's pickup once in while... most of the other time im on the interstate. (in other words i would never even consider it in the city)

75% chance i just use my bluetooth and call em and tell them "im driving whats up?"

we multi task every time we drive, changing radio stations, checking the kids in the rear view, grabbing a cup of coffee from the cup holder... any one of these can be equally as deadly as spending two seconds sending "brb" via text message which is why i would consider it low risk.

on the other hand, if i were to text someone "Hey im on I-45, i will be there in 5 min"

well yes... i deserve whatever wreck i get into.

Feuer Frei!
04-11-13, 05:53 PM
Illegal here. Also illegal to talk on mobile whilst driving. Unless you are using the handsfree. And rightly so.
You're a fool if you text whilst driving.

Sailor Steve
04-11-13, 06:13 PM
Does Utah make a distinction between City Limits and rural areas?
Nope. No law at all.

Tchocky
04-11-13, 06:31 PM
I'm a bloody awful driver. The texts stay unanswered.

eddie
04-11-13, 06:42 PM
I don't text while driving, and don't use a cell phone in the car.

vienna
04-11-13, 07:28 PM
I don't text or use a cell for calls while driving. In Los Angeles in particular and Southern California in general, it is a fool's move to do so; one must be alert to avoid all the morons who do use cells/text while driving. The drivers here are among the worst I have ever seen when they aren't distracted, so you really have to be sharp to avoid their carelessness. Th same apllies to pedestrians; the number of people who walk quickly down the sidewalks while immeresed in their cells, not lookin up or aware, is amazing...

<O>

fireftr18
04-11-13, 07:51 PM
I'm the same as Tchocky. If I get a text, I won't even try to look at it. If I'm expecting a text, then I'll pull over and stop to look. For regular phone calls, I have a blue tooth ear piece. Even then, if it something that I need to really pay attention to, I'll pull over.

soopaman2
04-11-13, 08:01 PM
It is supposedly illegal here to text or talk while drive, though I see people doing it all the time. I see seatbelts enforced more than people jabbering on cell phones or texting while driving.

I even see cops doing it, as they pass me on the parkway going at least 90 MPH.

(mind you, I am going at least 75, 10 mph over the limit, so I keep cool about it ;))

Laws are a joke, only enforced when it becomes a political /media hot issue.

Armistead
04-11-13, 08:23 PM
Last wreck I was in a woman side swiped me while she was texting...came right through the intersection..

mookiemookie
04-11-13, 08:43 PM
I always talk trash about folks who text and drive honestly, and while they may be idiots i would never go so far as to wish the person to die :doh:...

They're going to cause a wreck at some point. It's not a question of if, but when. And when they do, I hope no one innocent has to pay for their stupidity.

Cybermat47
04-11-13, 08:45 PM
Apparently the following was written outside a church:

Honk if you love Jesus.
Text while driving if you want to meet him.

Red October1984
04-11-13, 09:04 PM
I don't text and drive. It isn't worth it.

The few friends I have that text me understand. None of us text and drive. What I honestly hate is how boy's insurance is higher than girl's insurance...but 95% of the wrecks I hear about are girls.

Just last week, my best friend lost a good friend in a horrible car wreck not 20 minutes from where I live. It was the night before Prom at their school and these two girls were driving to town. They hit a jackknifed semi right as they topped a hill. A guy I know who saw the wreck says that they hit it so hard that the trailer was almost disconnected from the truck. One girl was killed on impact and the other one was in ICU as of a few days ago. I haven't heard anything on her condition... They just started an investigation on it. I didn't know the girls personally, but it took a toll on my friend here. :dead:

He's been through several wrecks. He's lost like 3 family members plus this girl in car wrecks. I feel sorry for him. Once is enough...this was number 4.... :timeout:

Onkel Neal
04-11-13, 09:34 PM
No, and I think anyone that does is an idiot. My only hope is that they crash and kill themselves before their reckless and selfish behavior kills someone else.

Our governor, in his infinite wisdom, wouldn't sign a texting ban passed by the Texas legislature, calling it "a government effort to micromanage the behavior of adults." Well governor, how do you feel about laws against murder? Or food safety laws? Or school zone speed limits? Or child welfare laws? Or DUI laws? All of those are micromanaging the behavior of adults in the name of safety.

Morons who text when they drive are a hazard to everyone else on the road. And the "oh but people would still do it even if there was a law against it" excuse is weak sauce. Laws don't stop anyone from doing anything. They provide disincentives to behavior. And when the safety of Texas drivers is at stake, there's no reason to not put that disincentive in place.

Thank god mayor Annise Parker is trying to put a texting ban in place for the city of Houston. Lord knows we need it.

You and me are in complete agreement. And please nominate a Democrat I can vote for in the next gubernatorial election. I won't vote for Perry no more.

Mork_417
04-12-13, 01:53 AM
I have bluetooth in my truck and motorcycle helmet, and I do answer calls while driving & riding (hands free). I don't always do it, really depends on the traffic/weather conditions i'm in at that time.

I ain't no saint though, i have in the past held a phone to my ear while driving, but since i got bluetooth, i haven't. And, I have in the past answered a text with, "brb" or "driving" while still moving, but now i just ignore it. Seen too many accidents, that were texting related, that got my attention, and changed my attitude towards it.

I do believe they have recently made it illegal here to text & drive, but not sure what the current hands-free law is. However, i see Sheriffs & State Troopers on the phone, more often than i can keep track of, and i've even seen a few texting while driving also. :dead:

Herr-Berbunch
04-12-13, 06:54 AM
The phone goes in my pocket before I get in the car and out again at the other end, or when pulled over specifically to check it.

Every day I see someone looking at or listening to their phone, and I see them veering all over the lane (if they're lucky) - that's my daily remnder why not to, no phone call is worth it.

BossMark
04-12-13, 07:26 AM
No its very very naughty and if caught doing it you should have your bottom smacked and grounded for at least a month :haha:

No seriously how can you concentrate on driving when you are using your mobile?

donna52522
04-12-13, 09:18 AM
I don't drive when I am texting.....Texting is serious business. :O:

swamprat69er
04-12-13, 09:54 AM
I don't text....period. As for cell phone calls, I have bluetooth plumbed through the stereo and if I have the phone turned on, then I will answer the call.

Using any hand held device while driving is illegal in Ontario, Canada. They are even trying to extend that to CB's in trucks. So far truck drivers are exempt from the CB part of it.

masonlooney
04-12-13, 04:24 PM
all the time yo

u crank
04-12-13, 07:49 PM

:har:

Use of hand held devices is illegal in P.E.I Canada.

Funny story. One day shortly after the law went into effect, I was driving home from work. A young lady in front of me was very obviously reading a text. She was holding the phone up in her line of sight as she drove. At the next light I pulled into the left turn lane and we ended up beside each other at a red light. I looked over at her, smiled and shook my head. Her reaction was hilarious. First she hid the phone and pretended to be doing something else. Then when she saw me smiling even more, up comes the finger. Yes, texting is serious business.:O:

Onkel Neal
04-12-13, 09:47 PM

:haha:

I like being at a red light next to an idiot texting. I will move forward a bit and watch them jump on the gas, then hit the brakes when they see the light is still red.:arrgh!:

swamprat69er
04-12-13, 10:54 PM
:haha:

I like being at a red light next to an idiot texting. I will move forward a bit and watch them jump on the gas, then hit the brakes when they see the light is still red.:arrgh!:

That is mean and nasty. I love it!:salute:

Red October1984
04-12-13, 11:06 PM
That is mean and nasty. I love it!:salute:

I know what I'm going to put on my list of things to do.... :D

Betonov
04-13-13, 01:54 AM
I usually hand the phone to a passenger to answer.

I wish I could see their faces when they call me and an unknown voice answers ''psychiatric hospital Begunje, how may I help you'' :arrgh!:

Armistead
04-13-13, 08:35 AM
How did we ever survive when each house had one lime green rotary phone?

Wolferz
04-13-13, 09:40 AM

Ours was black. shhhickk ticka ticka ticka.
Ma Bell's phones were tanks. You couldn't hurt the things.:haha:

Was yours a party line?

Jimbuna
04-13-13, 04:28 PM
I use blue tooth and hands free when driving...been to too many of the aftermaths.

vienna
04-13-13, 06:09 PM

Was yours a party line?
That really takes me back. When I was growing up in San Francisco, we had party line phone and it was often very difficult to get some of the old biddies to cease their gossiping long enough to make your own call. The upshot of making them get off the line would be, the next time you picked up the receiver, they would be gossiping about how mean you were; you just couldn't win...

Regarding calling/texting, a few years ago the local transit authority converted some disused rail right-of-ways into paved, dedciated busways, sort of like a motorized "railway". All the critics of the idea said that having busse traveling at "high" sppeds would endanger the local pedestrians (even though they were legal barred form entering the busway) and that the busses would collide with motorists. Well, the buses were in colloisions from the very first day. However, it wasn't a case of the buses hitting cars; the buses were, in all the cases, t-boned by the cars and in every case, the driver was either using a cell to talk or text at the moment of the accident...

<O>

swamprat69er
04-13-13, 10:15 PM

Was yours a party line?

We had a party line right up to 1960. Yes, if someone broke into your house, you could use the phone to knock him out and not hurt the phone.
The guy next door to me has a party line today. (But I live out in the boonies). He won't give it up either. He is the only one on it, so it is kinda like a private line.

frau kaleun
04-14-13, 09:28 AM
The guy next door to me has a party line today... He is the only one on it

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg

swamprat69er
04-14-13, 09:38 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/003/619/Untitled-1.jpg

He is a neanderthal, in his 50's and still no computer and no use for them. (He might have a point there.)

GT182
04-14-13, 08:53 PM

I had an orange wall phone with the extra long cord back in 1979 to 1990. Far less problems with that phone than any since then.. including cellphones.

Here in Delaware it's against the law to use anything but a "hands free" phone. Texting is against the law too..... as it should be. Most accidents have been proven to be caused by texting or holding a cellphone to the ear and not paying attention. Remember when seeing a car swerving all over the road used to be from the driver drinking? Now texting and holding a cellphone to the ear is a part of that too.

swamprat69er
04-15-13, 09:56 AM
OPP doing a blitz on 'distracted driving'.

http://www.cp24.com/news/opp-launch-crackdown-on-distracted-driving-1.1238154

gimpy117
04-15-13, 11:36 AM
It's forbidden here in Michigan.

Besides, I have PLPD and I like my truck....