PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Speech Rec?

BigWalleye
04-06-13, 09:07 AM
About a year ago, when I found the mods for SH4 and returned to playing subsims, I came across Eric Knepfler's sh4speech. As downloaded, it wasn't perfect - it took about a week of bashing to get it working satisfactorily. Even then, there are things that, because sh4speech is a stand-alone program, it just can't do. But voice command seems a wonderfully immersive addition. I could stand on the bridge of my Gato:

"Captain, smoke on the horizon, bearing 328 degrees."
"Helm, come left 32 degrees."
"Aye, aye. New course 328 degrees."
"Ahead flank!"
"Ahead flank, aye."

And the boat accelerates and heads for the contact!

When I recently picked up SH5, I was pleased to find that it has a fully integrated speech recognition capability. I've used MiTon's fine mod with both New UIs and Magui. It works great right out of the box.

But, when I look at the forums, I get the impression that very few people make use of this feature. Am I mistaken? I'd like to hear from others who use or have tried speech recognition. What has your experience been like? And from those who don't, I'd be interested in knowing what your reasons are for not using it. I'm not baiting for a pro-and-con fight. I'd just like to start a dialog and hear what others think.

GT182
04-06-13, 09:19 AM
Sad to say I don't use it. Reason being my wife thinks I'm nuts as it is and playing any sim or game using speach recognition would seal her thoughts on this. Plus I'd probably wake her up from her afternoon nap, and that would be the end-all.... :hmmm: maybe I wll have to start using it afterall and drive her nuts. :D

Targor Avelany
04-06-13, 04:58 PM
I use it... Though I haven't actually played the game for a very while now.

BigWalleye
04-08-13, 10:18 AM
One? That's all? I assume there are a few more people who use speech recognition, but not many, and fewer than I would have guessed.

Now I am concerned. What is the reason so many players shun this capability? Bad experiences? Problems I haven't seen yet? Long-term problems with campaign mods like OHII? A few people have spent a lot of time and effort making speech rec work for both SH4 and SH5. I am now suspicious that there must be something wrong with the whole approach. I'd really appreciate any comments on the subject. It seems like every other mod has its users, but not this one. How come?

Trevally.
04-08-13, 12:39 PM
I would use it if I could - it is a great mod and works well with UI mods.

As I have my PC in our living room - it would be unfair on my wife if I spoke to my crew of an evening and not her:D

Father Goose
04-08-13, 03:11 PM
Is there a current speech recognition download for SH4?

BigWalleye
04-08-13, 03:56 PM
Yep! It's sh4speech. Get it here:

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=119430

As downloaded, it won't work with RFB without some tweaking, but stock and TMO versions are OK. I can send you the tweaked files for RFB by PM if you want. It's a stand-alone program that runs in the background when SH4 is loaded.

Father Goose
04-08-13, 04:01 PM
As downloaded, it won't work with RFB without some tweaking, but stock and TMO versions are OK. I can send you the tweaked files for RFB by PM if you want. It's a stand-alone program that runs in the background when SH4 is loaded.

You can see my mods in my signature below. I play TMO. Sounds like the download should work. Agree?
Appreciate the offer but I don't think I'll need them.

BigWalleye
04-08-13, 08:42 PM
Sorry, FG, I wrote incorrectly. Went back and checked. The download does come with a "TMO" set of .csv control files, but those did not work entirely well. The problem is in the dial-setting commands. Somehow, since Eric Knepfler did his work, the dial scaling has changed and the downloaded dial control file causes incorrect entries. For Knepfler's download, the TMO keyboard commands work fine, and I think the command bar entries do too, although some may be for an earlier version of TMO - I don't recall. I did the corrections a while back and I couldn't swear to what all I had to change. I do have a fully working version for TMO v2.5.

Mikemike47
04-10-13, 08:22 PM
Long-term problems with campaign mods like OHII? A few people have spent a lot of time and effort making speech rec work for both SH4 and SH5.

I have been using a little program called Shoot for SH5, and as far back as SH3. Works great for XP or Windows 7. Program can pick up voice commands while playing the radios or gramophone, too. I have about 20 mods or more attached to any Silent Hunter Game.

I basically created a mod at the very end of all mods for the particular game for voice recognition. Shoot uses *xml data, much smaller than other voice recognition programs. A little modifying of commands.cfg now and then so I do not override any major mods, etc .

Shoot Voice Recognition Webpage (http://clans.gameclubcentral.com/shoot/downloads.php)

If any files are not on its' download page, contact me with a PM and I can send archived copies.

I would use it if I could - it is a great mod and works well with UI mods.

Works great with your wonderful mod, Open Horizons (Yah, new version coming :rock:) and works well with Multiple UIs with TDC.

Is there a current speech recognition download for SH4?

See above

You can see my mods in my signature below. I play TMO. Sounds like the download should work. Agree?
Appreciate the offer but I don't think I'll need them.

Worked fine for TMO, Run Silent Run Deep or Game Fixes Only.

Ktl_KUrtz
04-11-13, 06:46 AM
I used it with SH3 with no problems and had a great time, I'll use it with SH6 God willling!
KUrtz