PDA

View Full Version : Major battles

21kamando
04-05-13, 06:34 PM
Quick question about stock SH4 1.4, does anyone know if the major battles are modeled in real time? Even though I've played the game off and on for awhile now I've never been in the right area at the right time for one of the major battles. I just happen to be in the southern end of the Makassar Straight a few hours before the IJN task force came rushing through it in early '42. Really would like a shot at changing history. :hmm2:

Armistead
04-05-13, 07:08 PM
Stock itself has a few of the big historical battles, but just a few and those are poorly scripted. If you want all the historical battles, you need to load RSRD mod, basically scripts all historic traffic. See you're still playing 1.4, but you should be able to still DL RSRD for stock, although I would suggest you dl TMO for 1.4 as well. If you like the game, you should upgrade to 1.5..

fireftr18
04-05-13, 07:36 PM
Stock itself has a few of the big historical battles, but just a few and those are poorly scripted. If you want all the historical battles, you need to load RSRD mod, basically scripts all historic traffic. See you're still playing 1.4, but you should be able to still DL RSRD for stock, although I would suggest you dl TMO for 1.4 as well. If you like the game, you should upgrade to 1.5..

Then experiment with the super mods and really make it a great game.
And welcome aboard kamando! :salute:
You have been selected to go ashore, infiltrate the Japanese base and blow up their supplies. You can take Wernher with you if you like.

21kamando
04-05-13, 07:47 PM

I get the idea behind TMO, what exactly does RSRD do?

JagdPanzer44
04-05-13, 07:56 PM
I get the idea behind TMO, what exactly does RSRD do?

Per Lurker's own description:

Run Silent, Run Deep, the Campaign (RSRDC) is a major rewrite of the campaign layers of SH4 and is designed to overcome the following major stock campaign problems:

The various stock battle layers (i.e. BurmaJawa.mis, BattleOfMidway.mis, BattleofGuadalcanal.mis, etc) are sub-standard, not only from a ship content point of view but also from a track generation point of view and in my view completely un-reliable from a game play point of view. The reason for this is that these layers are written in a Scripted format that is completely unreliable when playing in Career mode.

The various Taskforce, Convoy, and Merchant layers that are total devoid of reality.

The mission objectives are sub-standard and need a major rewrite

The Special missions are also sub-standard and need work.

RSRDC solves all these problems

TorpX
04-05-13, 10:10 PM
Good answer JagdPanzer.

And I would second what Armistead said about getting v1.5 and some mods. If you like the game at all, it will pay off.

21kamando
04-06-13, 02:23 AM
Well I've ordered the U-boat mission pack and it should be here at some point in the near future (yay USPS :mad:). Anyways I found the answer to my own question. The battle of Java in game is a increase of IJN Task Forces. :down:

Thanks anyways guys. :subsim:

Armistead
04-06-13, 08:25 AM
Well I've ordered the U-boat mission pack and it should be here at some point in the near future (yay USPS :mad:). Anyways I found the answer to my own question. The battle of Java in game is a increase of IJN Task Forces. :down:

Thanks anyways guys. :subsim:

RSRD perfectly scripts the battle of Java, including all the invasion forces.

TorpX
04-06-13, 07:42 PM
Well I've ordered the U-boat mission pack and it should be here at some point in the near future (yay USPS :mad:).
You won't be sorry. :yep:

21kamando
04-09-13, 12:29 AM
You won't be sorry. :yep:

I've been working on my German. :D

TorpX
04-09-13, 12:48 AM
Joining the Kriegsmarine, eh?

Actually, I've never played that side of SH4.

21kamando
04-09-13, 01:04 AM
I've always been interested in the German military, not only have I met a bunch of guys in the German military but one of my great grand fathers was a colonel in the German Army in WW2. Very disappointed I never got to meet him, would have been cool to hear about his side of the war.