PDA

View Full Version : Reports of shooting at Fort Knox

CaptainMattJ.
04-03-13, 07:04 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/03/fort-knox-shooting/2051269/

Fort Knox is on high security alert, lockdown recently lifted.

TLAM Strike
04-03-13, 07:46 PM
Police are on the lookout for a overweight balding German-ish man, a blond women and a muscular Korean in a bowler hat.

Red October1984
04-03-13, 07:56 PM
Police are on the lookout for a overweight balding German-ish man, a blond women and a muscular Korean in a bowler hat.

Please tell me you aren't serious.

Cybermat47
04-03-13, 07:58 PM
Please tell me you aren't serious.

Of course he is.

Only a Scotsman can save us now...

yubba
04-03-13, 08:28 PM
Oh, another work place related shooting.

Red October1984
04-03-13, 08:33 PM
Of course he is.

How about.....

A SCOTCH KOREAN!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQuKCQWrZvfPQNp_rB1hJE5LUq83kz_k ZUUG3kQFX1LiDJZx_hR

Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3ewZxrqU4)

Sailor Steve
04-03-13, 09:21 PM
Of course he is.

I'm glad somebody got it. :sunny:

frau kaleun
04-03-13, 09:39 PM

He didn't expect us to get it, Mr. Steve. He expected us to die. :O:

em2nought
04-03-13, 09:41 PM
Texas told 'em they wanted "it" back. :D

Red October1984
04-03-13, 09:42 PM

I apparently didn't.... :timeout:

frau kaleun
04-03-13, 09:47 PM
I apparently didn't.... :timeout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfinger_(film)

The main character and villain (Goldfinger) is a heavyset, balding Germanish man. One of the accomplices on his payroll is a blonde woman who serves as his private pilot. One of the others is his muscular Korean bodyguard, who wears a bowler hat that he uses as a weapon (yes, really).

The main plot involves Goldfinger's plans to take over Fort Knox. :)

Red October1984
04-03-13, 09:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldfinger_(film)

The main character and villain (Goldfinger) is a heavyset, balding Germanish man. One of the accomplices on his payroll is a blonde woman who serves as his private pilot. One of the others is his muscular Korean bodyguard, who wears a bowler hat that he uses as a weapon (yes, really).

The main plot involves Goldfinger's plans to take over Fort Knox. :)

Oh god....I'm an idiot.... :nope:

I love that movie.... :shifty:

frau kaleun
04-03-13, 09:56 PM
I love that movie.... :shifty:

Apparently not enough. :O:

frau kaleun
04-03-13, 09:59 PM
But back on topic... a news report from about an hour ago has a spokesman for the Army post there confirming that a shooting happened this afternoon, near the human resources center. An FBI spokesman confirms that two agents were dispatched from Louisville to assist in the investigation. But that's as detailed as it gets.

Edit: Reuters has a bit more.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/04/04/us-usa-shooting-fortknox-idUSBRE93218V20130404

Red October1984
04-03-13, 10:32 PM
Apparently not enough. :O:

I've probably seen it 30 times. I have a DVD copy and a "Connery Classics" VHS copy.

It's an extremely close second in my best bond movies of all time list. Thunderball takes the cake...but Goldfinger is great. I just didn't realize that it was a Goldfinger joke at the time... :timeout:

Now, about the thread....

My uncle commanded Fort Knox a few years ago when it was still the Armor Center. We visited him, my aunt, and cousins a couple times. I always liked going there. We always went to the Armor Museum and watched the military guys fire off the M4 Sherman cannon blank at 5PM or whatever time it is. They do it in the morning and evening.... I have pictures of me and my cousins playing football on one of the big parade fields. It was fun staying in the "Commander's House." He had a personal aide and all... My uncle got me and my brother into the tank/stryker training simulators and laser marksmanship training. It was one of the most fun things I've ever done. Putting on a CVC helmet and driving a tank while talking to soldiers who actually do that stuff was awesome. I'll never forget that. It was always interesting to go there... I especially remember when I was little and they did a bomb check of our minivan. They had us all get out and stand while they checked it out. They even checked my teddy bear. :-? :har:

Ah....memories.... :()1:

Cybermat47
04-03-13, 11:24 PM
Thunderball takes the cake...

:haha: That is one bizarre typo! The auto correct must've turned Skyfall into Thunderball!

Red October1984
04-03-13, 11:31 PM
:haha: That is one bizarre typo! The auto correct must've turned Skyfall into Thunderball!

Skyfall was pretty darn great....

But you can't beat the old characters. You can't beat Sean Connery.... :salute: Thank You and Good Night. :arrgh!:

Cybermat47
04-03-13, 11:37 PM
You can't beat Sean Connery....

... Unless he spends most of the movie in mind-numbingly boring underwater action scenes.

TarJak
04-04-13, 12:03 AM
He didn't expect us to get it, Mr. Steve. He expected us to die. :O:

But as you only live twice, some of us have nearly run out of lives.

Red October1984
04-04-13, 06:34 AM
http://cache.reelz.com/assets/content/repFrame/65515/thunderball-bond-50-clip-01_med.jpg

"I can't believe that you hate Thunderball"

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01183/arts-graphics-2008_1183482a.jpg

"Says here that Thunderball is the best Bond movie"

Wolferz
04-04-13, 08:08 AM
Ah. Fort Knox.
I was posted there for six years. We did a lot of shooting too....
at targets not each other

Goldfinger was attempting to rob the gold vault by putting everyone to sleep with his all female air force. The top pilot was the blonde woman P. Galore.
I installed the fire alarm systems in several schools on post including the tank drivers simulator building. It was always fun watching those kids climbing out of those simulators covered in barf. The M1A1 tank driver rides in a semi prone position. In a simulator with three video screens representing the outside world it can make you sick. They had barf bags but couldn't use them while prone. There was one driving maneuver in the program that always invoked the heave response. "Tank tumbling off a cliff. ":haha:

Sailor Steve
04-04-13, 10:48 AM
All this talk of Fort Knox is forcing old Steve to do what he does best - bring up boring history stuff. Henry Knox was born in Boston in 1750. As a boy he attended the Boston Latin School, but quit and became a bookstore clerk at age 12 to help support his mother. In his spare time Knox ran with Boston's street gangs, gaining a reputation as a good fighter.

Knox was a witness to the 'Boston Massacre' in 1770, and was a sworn witness at the trial, helping the defense conducted by John Adams.

In 1771 Knox opened his own bookstore, specializing in military studies and history.

In 1772 he was cofounder of the local militia, called the Boston Grenadier Corps. That same year he had an accident with a shotgun, losing two fingers of his left hand.

In 1773 he was a member of the Sons Of Liberty, and may have been involved in the Boston Tea Party.

When the shooting started in 1775. He and his wife fled the city and Knox joined the militia under general Artemus Ward, directing the American artillery fire at the battle of Bunker Hill.

Knox became a legend during the siege of Boston when he went to the recently captured Fort Ticonderoga in upstate New York and transported all the cannon there back to Boston, 300 miles over mountains and rivers in mid-winter in a little less than two months, from December 5, 1775 to January 27, 1776. The new batteries were so imposing that the British abandoned Boston and moved the fleet there to Halifax. Today the route is called The Henry Knox Trail and is marked with plaques all along the trail.

Henry Knox was made a member of George Washington's personal staff, at which time he and Alexander Hamilton became lifelong friends. In 1779 he established America's first artillery school, at Pluckimen, New Jersey.

In 1782 Knox became the Continental Army's General Of Artillery, the youngest Major General at age 32.

In 1785 Henry Knox was appointed the nation's second Secretary of War. When the new Constitution was established and George Washington became the first president in 1789, Knox retained that position, being one of only four members of Washington's cabinet. The others were Secretary of State Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of the Treasury Alexander Hamilton and Attorney General Edmund Randolph.

Knox died in 1806 after choking on a chicken bone. He survived the choking, but not the resulting infection. He was 56.

AVGWarhawk
04-04-13, 10:56 AM
Brought to you by the SS History Administrator. :salute: