PDA

View Full Version : CTD Problems ( I know an old problem)

BillBam
03-28-13, 05:52 PM
Well totally frustrated. I had to stop playing SH4 because of CTD problems, it usually occurred at a time when lots of stuff was working in the back such as just before a torpedo explosion. My systems would CTD and I would loss signal to my monitor and the computer was still on. I recently saw the high memory fixes and thought that might be the issue so I re-installed and did the fixes but no good. I actually think the problem happens quicker now, I wasn't even in a mission this last time and it happened, I was just in the process of browsing some pages. System specs below.

Win 7(64), 8gb of memory, Nvidia Geoforce Card.

Do not have any problems with any other program but this. Any guidance for troubleshooting would be appreciated.

merc4ulfate
03-30-13, 08:48 AM
It is either the installation or a hardware issue. The only time I have ever had a CTD in SH4 was after a mod addition where the mod was causing it. I normally play with TMO+RSRD and never have an issue.

CPU Intel Pentium Dual E2220 2.4 GHZ
8Gig Ram
Windows Vista SP2 32 bit
Nvidia Geforce 9500 GT

All the files for the game and mods are on the hard drive I do not play with disc in the tray.

BillBam
03-30-13, 10:15 AM
It is a brand new fresh install with only stock running, no mods. I am thinking it is an issue with the video card since the monitor losses the signal to the computer when it goes down.

Fish40
03-30-13, 10:21 AM
I would try the 4gig patch in the D/L section. This utility (not actually a patch) allows SH4 to access more memory. I had the same probs with windows 7 64, and this solved it. I use it for other games as well. Easy to install and configure.

BillBam
03-30-13, 10:41 AM
Thanks Fish40 but that hasn't helped, that is one of the two fixes I was hoping would solve the problem but neither did.

Armistead
03-30-13, 01:30 PM
I'm still an old XP users, but make sure you follow the protocol for installing the game with win7, think most install to a different dir. However, sounds like you're having a hardware issue, graphics or driver.

Make sure you DL DX9 from the disc, the game works better with that, it's really needed. You can have multiple versions installed, games find what they need, so don't worry about that.

Not sure about newer cards, but one thing I learned about nvida drivers,
they can screw up many soundcards, because they load sound files. I always have to remove and reinstall my sound drivers anytime I updated my nvida graphics drivers. The issue I got was the game would lag out to nothing, FPS get low and often sounds like the torp explosion, would crash the game right as they registered, simply crash before the boom.

Anyway, I think it's a sound driver issue

BillBam
03-30-13, 05:13 PM
Anyway, I think it's a sound driver issue

You may be a genious sir! I un/re installed my sound driver and I was able to play a quick mission. Haven't been able to do that since the problem came up. Thanks for the help, I will start a campaign and HOPE it stays that way!

BillBam
03-30-13, 05:51 PM
WEll that lasted about 10 minutes and the problem is back! Think I might swap out my Video card and see if that helps.

Armistead
03-30-13, 10:47 PM
Bill, I don't want to mess you up, cuz I went through this a long time ago.
So take my advice with a grain of salt. One thing, check nvida forums, many having problems with newer drivers, mabye get more help there. NVidia implemented a BIOS update routine in their latest 8x.xx drivers and seems it somehow will reset the driver.

I still believe it's a sound driver issue related to the nvidia video driver. I would remove all video driver/componants, sound drivers as well. Reboot and install the video drivers you had with your disc, then lastly install sound drivers. Take that with a grain of salt.

Several of us went through this year or so ago, seems many didn't. Somehow we stopped the video driver sound componants from over riding our sound drivers. Seems we used and older driver and did the above.

Wish I could help more. I'll try to remember exactly what I did. I know it ruined my game for a few months before I figured it out. I'll see if I can find the thread as well, but will be late tomorrow.

BillBam
03-31-13, 12:28 AM
OK thanks for the help, much appreciated!
:subsim:

Fish40
03-31-13, 05:13 AM
Bill, just for the heck of it, what do your temperatures look like? If I read you correctly, you said your comp.crashed just browsing some pages (I assume the net.)? Could be overheating:hmmm: Worth a check.

BillBam
03-31-13, 09:46 AM
Fish...not sure how to check my computers temp, does it have to bend over? hahaha

Fish40
03-31-13, 10:55 AM
OK, I just assumed you had temp readout on your case. No worries, and no need to bend over:haha: Open your case and inspect for dust buildup, especially on graphics card and cpu fans and heatsinks. Do a thorough cleaning of the case. Try to run the machine with the case opened if possible and try to run the game.

BillBam
03-31-13, 11:02 AM
OK thanks

popflynn
03-31-13, 11:09 AM
Hi Bill

Just read about ur ctd's, have just reloaded sh4 after a very long period of
absence, and recalled having lots of ctd's myself when I had earlier installed sh4 on my system. (Years ago)

The fix to the problem I had, was to select cd quality in the properties box
of my playback device.

control panel/hardware&sound/manage audio devices/playback/'select playback device'(in my case Headphones)/properties/advanced/'select lowest playback quality'. (cd quality 44100 or so.)

This worked for me, (don't know why, i'm not an I/t guru, just advice taken off this forum years ago), which seemed to do the trick.

Hope this helps

popflynn1

AVGWarhawk
04-01-13, 11:59 AM
popflynn is correct. Changing to 44100 for sound does prevent gaming issues.

BillBam
04-01-13, 01:22 PM
OK thanks, I have made that change and am heading down (hope the boss doesn't notice hahahaha<<<<boss = wife)

BillBam
04-01-13, 01:32 PM
Well quick answer on the sound fix, NOPE hahaha! Will try deleting my sound and video drivers as noted about later tonite. Also have a graphics card from another machine that I will pop in and see if that helps.