PDA

View Full Version : SH3 Commander Questions

MantiBrutalis
03-28-13, 03:48 AM
I have a few questions:

1. When I installed SH3 Commander, it assigned names and cargo types for ship in all my patrol logs. Yet any other patrol I completed after the installation isn't affected. Now I did screw around and add some stuff to the ship name file, but thinking that broke it, I reinstalled it. Still nothing. Whats the deal?

2. Before SH3 Commander, it was possible to spot mines, coming depth charges and close ships with the periscope under water. I find that a bit unrealistic, but since the only sea I visited is the Mediterranean, I don't know how clear the water should be to make it realistic. Any suggestions on what should I set the Water Clarity on?

3. After installing SH3 Commander, I can't end my patrol while still on sea, it just says "Abandon Career". Now I like to get back to the port or to friendly waters for the realistic feeling, but getting back to Kiel through the Kanal is annoying as hell. Any ideas how to solve this?

4. More to come soon...

VONHARRIS
03-28-13, 05:24 AM
1. May be wrong but did you update your patrol logs after finishing the patrol?

2. Trial and error in that one.

3. I don't think it is a Commander issue. If you are playing at 100% realism you can not end the patrol at sea. No more teleporting to base.

RustySubmarine
03-28-13, 08:19 AM
I am running SH3 GWX Gold on Windows 8 and after installing SH Commander V3.2 ( with GWX cfg for SHC installed as well) on a clean install (no careers started) everything ran fine. I started my first career in 1940 with a VIIb sub starting from St Nazaire. After Patroling my designated area, I decided to save my patrol. When I started up SH3 to continue playing, I clicked on my saved career and it started loading. Just before it finished loading the saved patrol screen, (Not so long ago...) I got a message saying Windows has encountered a problem and cannot continue with this program, and I got sent back to desk top.

I am running SH3 from C drive. C:\Ubisoft\SHIII
SH Comander is located in C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\SHComander

Did a compete re install without SH Comander and everything runs ok again with the game and I am now on my third patrol.

Somehow my computer doesn't seem to like SH Comander. So I have decided to now run without it.

MantiBrutalis
03-28-13, 08:22 AM
Update Patrol Log? Huh??? What? How?

ViperDriver
03-28-13, 09:02 AM
I am running SH3 from C drive. C:\Ubisoft\SHIII
SH Comander is located in C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\SHComander

I think it's best (and probably recommended) to install SH3Commander in your game folder. I have not had any issues saving patrols at sea and loading them again next time I want to play. I would also suggest making sure you use the "auto rollback" feature of Commander.

HW3
03-28-13, 10:40 AM
MantiBrutalis, This is how to update your patrol log.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/davestev47/ScreenHunter_24Mar280829copy_zpscf037d91.jpg

:subsim:

RustySubmarine
03-28-13, 11:12 AM
I think it's best (and probably recommended) to install SH3Commander in your game folder. I have not had any issues saving patrols at sea and loading them again next time I want to play. I would also suggest making sure you use the "auto rollback" feature of Commander.

Hi ViperDriver,
Never used the auto rollback feature, this might cure the problem. I'll give it one more try and if I still get crashed. I will continue playing without it.
I use SH3 Commander on my Desktop PC, running Windows XP with SP3 service pack and SH3 runs perfect.
But on this new Laptop, it doesn't seem to work.
I've also tried installing SH3 in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)|Ubisoft but I get the same results. This is the folder that SH3 is directed to on first install, same as for SH3 Commander when running the exe.
Windows XP doesn't use a C:\ProgramFiles(x86) Folder and games usually install to C:\ProgramFiles. Much easier to handle than the latest Windows systems 7 & 8.

I have set my Properties to run as XP and run as Administrator, no problem, so it must be the Commander program that is causing the problem on my Laptop.

EDIT: On posting this, I have just noticed My Avatar has changed again. This time to "Wild Night in Bangkok" with a photo of a drag queen. Never been to Bangkok, but had many a wild night in Singapore when I was out there in 1966/7 for two years. Don't like this one at all! Who chooses these? Some are good, others crap. Better get some more posts up to get rid of this one, me think's!!!

Sailor Steve
03-28-13, 11:35 AM
If you had made a new post instead of an edit it would already be gone. That one is only here for post #179.

Also, if you make a small donation you can make your own avatar.

RustySubmarine
03-28-13, 11:39 AM
If you had made a new post instead of an edit it would already be gone. That one is only here for post #179.

Also, if you make a small donation you can make your own avatar.

Thank you Steve. LET'S GET RID NOW!!!

Already donated to the site, but don't have a suitable avatar picture to set up. Is yours a photo of you when you were a kid?

Hooray! The Drag Queen has gone!

ViperDriver
03-28-13, 12:29 PM
Hi ViperDriver,
I've also tried installing SH3 in C:\ProgramFiles(x86)|Ubisoft but I get the same results. This is the folder that SH3 is directed to on first install, same as for SH3 Commander when running the exe.
Windows XP doesn't use a C:\ProgramFiles(x86) Folder and games usually install to C:\ProgramFiles. Much easier to handle than the latest Windows systems 7 & 8.

Never, and I mean NEVER, install a game in Win7 or Win8 "Program Files..." folder. I have all my games in C:\Games\. Starting with Win7, MSft does wierd things to stuff in "Program Files" to help protect us from ourselves. Many games need to write/create/update config and log files, but the controls MSft introduced starting with Win7 makes it very problematic if the app is installed in there.

Pisces
03-28-13, 01:25 PM
Never, and I mean NEVER, install a game in Win7 or Win8 "Program Files..." folder. I have all my games in C:\Games\. Starting with Win7, MSft does wierd things to stuff in "Program Files" to help protect us from ourselves. Many games need to write/create/update config and log files, but the controls MSft introduced starting with Win7 makes it very problematic if the app is installed in there.Actually, it started with Vista. But who cares about that anymore!?!

MantiBrutalis
03-28-13, 02:52 PM
MantiBrutalis, This is how to update your patrol log.
:subsim:

You, sir, have helped me immensely. I thought that just created the personnel file. The word "update" should have given me a hint...

Now I know I sunk the SS Wear in all 3 of my careers :cool:

Sailor Steve
03-28-13, 03:52 PM
Is yours a photo of you when you were a kid?
It is. I've had pictures of me in the navy, and for a long while the logo of the band I used to be in.