PDA

View Full Version : ummm, what do I do now - say 'click'?

She-Wolf
03-26-13, 09:45 AM
Hello chaps and chapesses, your wisdom sought again. I have been sent to Yaizu to take a photo reconnaissance of what is in harbour, and am there, spot on the yellow marker. I am surfaced and it is night - what do I do now? Can't see any camera icon and saying 'click' and looking hopeful doesn't do anything - surely I don't have to surface in broad daylight do I ??

Jeff1959
03-26-13, 09:55 AM
You need to view the ship/ships with the TDC if you're on deck or periscope when submerged. The camera button should be the last one on the right. LOCK on a ship, then click the camera button.

This had me confused for a bit as well. Hope this helps.

She-Wolf
03-26-13, 10:16 AM
thanks Jeff, I will give it a go :up:

Sailor Steve
03-26-13, 10:37 AM
Oh Snap! :O:

fireftr18
03-26-13, 02:45 PM
You need to view the ship/ships with the TDC if you're on deck or periscope when submerged. The camera button should be the last one on the right. LOCK on a ship, then click the camera button.

This had me confused for a bit as well. Hope this helps.

It's been a while since I did a photo recon. I think you need to view the "target" through the observation scope.

She-Wolf
03-26-13, 03:31 PM
it worked as Jeff said; I peered through the periscope, made sure I was locked, identified the target (might not have been necessary) and clicked. I expected the camera icon to light up, but it didn't, so I 'snapped' a sub and a Hiro Gunboat as well. Still didn't light up, but when I checked the map the target symbol was grey and the ships log said the mission had been completed. Hoorah! However, I nearly came unstuck as a subchaser was coming in from the sea, and there I am in about 30 feet of wet stuff. No chance I could get away, but of course I had to try. He DC'd me and I took damage - but so did he and did not circle round to have another go, so I limped off into deeper water and let my able crew do their stuff. As soon as I was able to safely surface I asked for more orders and was sent to recon Hiroshima. Oo-er, thoughts of Bungo Pete (is it?) came to mind. On the way I nearly got got by a Watasuki (SP?) destroyer - those chaps seem to know exactly where you are from 7000 yards. Anyway, escaped, and now I am in another 30 feet of water trying to get to Hiroshima before dawn - and I am not sure I am gonna make it....

TorpX
03-27-13, 09:47 PM
You mean you can take pictures at night? :hmm2:

As I recall, in SHCE you had to do it during the day.

les green01
03-28-13, 08:13 AM
in sh4 you can do it a night

Webster
03-28-13, 11:08 AM
it worked as Jeff said; I peered through the periscope, made sure I was locked, identified the target (might not have been necessary) and clicked. I expected the camera icon to light up, but it didn't, so I 'snapped' a sub and a Hiro Gunboat as well. Still didn't light up, but when I checked the map the target symbol was grey and the ships log said the mission had been completed. Hoorah! ....

as a note to remember, most photo missions depend on you taking at least 3 different target pictures but I have done it before by returning to the first target to take my third picture.

I often "cheat" and send fish to the target then take pics while the torps are running, I was slow one time and that's how I found out the method above works. I think the game just registers weather its a different target or the same target and doesn't remember it was your first target

TorpX
03-28-13, 08:58 PM
I figure most who get the photo missions will torpedo the targets, if given the chance. Seems like the concept would have made more sense, if the photo "targets" were protected by anti-torpedo nets, docks, reefs, or were otherwise unreachable.

She-Wolf
03-29-13, 05:48 AM
at Yaizu I didn't have the time to target anything - had to run for it to avoid the subchaser, but at Hiroshima, I did get the chance and sent two off to a parked Fleet Carrier. It was disappointing really. The torps hit, but didn't sink, or seemingly even damage the Carrier, but that woke up a stationary destroyer, which lit up the area and started firing at me, requiring me to duck down sharpish - but neither the destroyer or any other boat came after me, which I did not think to be very realistic. So.. I live to try another day!

magic452
03-30-13, 12:18 AM
If a ship is docked it can shoot at you but will not pursue you.

Just don't do what I did and sink the carrier BEFORE I took the pictures. :/\\!!
Comsubpac is not interested in sunken CVs. Couldn't complete the mission as there was no carrier to photo.

Magic

She-Wolf
03-30-13, 03:27 PM
oohh, poor you! Still at least you got credited for the kill I take it - doesn't seem to work that way for me; in SH3 any ships I nobbled in port didn't seem to sink and I didn't get any credit even if they were well on fire - so I don't bother now in SH4. Besides, it's no fun if they don't chase you.....

Wolferz
04-02-13, 07:40 PM
oohh, poor you! Still at least you got credited for the kill I take it - doesn't seem to work that way for me; in SH3 any ships I nobbled in port didn't seem to sink and I didn't get any credit even if they were well on fire - so I don't bother now in SH4. Besides, it's no fun if they don't chase you..... Ships must sink to a certain depth or flood to the X parameter before you get a kill credit. In many harbors there isn't enough floaty fluid under them to accomplish this. They just bottom out half full before the kill flag can be activated. Even though real world physics would deem a half sunk ship as damaged beyond use, this sim isn't that sophisticated. Pay heed to the depth of the harbor compared to the draft of the target. A vessel at dock loaded with ammo might deconstruct enough to gain credit where an empty one won't stop being a cork.