PDA

View Full Version : Which supermod has the least sea traffic?

Rokko
03-25-13, 12:43 PM
Hi folks,
this may seem a little weird, but I seriously prefer NOT encountering a convoy with a battleship and two passenger liners and 5 single merchants every two days, so my question would be: In which mod is sea traffic the most sparse?
I'm playing NYGM atm but I'm starting to dislike just how much is going on there.
I haven't played GWX in many years, but is it different in that aspect.

To explain:
It's my fourth patrol. I have already encountered one convoy sinking one battleship and one freighter. A few days later West of Ireland I almost got run over by another 5000t freighter in thick fog and dive (didn't sink him). Later that night I dove again and my sonarman heard another freighter very near by (didn't sink him either but it was another big one). Next morning the weather has cleared and I spot another convoy. Inside it a 14000 liner and a cruiser and that was when I quit.

VONHARRIS
03-25-13, 01:13 PM
I have never tried NYGM.
I use GWX and I haven't came across that much traffic.
The only place - as far as I know - to find that much trafiic is AD 59
I am playing on 100% realism with no map updates.

Rokko
03-25-13, 01:53 PM
That sounds promising. Maybe I should give GWX another try. Too bad cause I really like NYGM flooding system and it also means I have to wrestle with the game again to get a stable mod list ;)

RustySubmarine
03-25-13, 03:50 PM
I think GWX V3 Gold is the best of the super mods. I tried Living SH3 quite a few years ago and this mod has the best eye candy Harbours and proper locks at both ends of the Kiel Canal, but as far as playing, I think GWX is about the best and the most historically correct.
It will be interesting to see what HAHD will be like when it's finished, this super mod is, from what I have read so far, is going to make SH3 as good as anything yet, with super detailed U-boats and very enhanced harbours etc. It should be historically correct as well because the initials stand for Historically Accurate Highly Detailed.

Jimbuna
03-25-13, 05:16 PM
I think GWX V3 Gold is the best of the super mods. I tried Living SH3 quite a few years ago and this mod has the best eye candy Harbours and proper locks at both ends of the Kiel Canal, but as far as playing, I think GWX is about the best and the most historically correct.
It will be interesting to see what HAHD will be like when it's finished, this super mod is, from what I have read so far, is going to make SH3 as good as anything yet, with super detailed U-boats and very enhanced harbours etc. It should be historically correct as well because the initials stand for Historically Accurate Highly Detailed.

Hopefully you are correct...I'm hoping http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Rokko
03-28-13, 07:12 AM
I have got a stable GWX3 version running now with some extra flavour mods and of course the vital H.Sie and Stiebler fixes and addons and the campaign feels definately emptier so far which is a plus for me.
NYGM has a lot of good stuff, too, though and I don't really understand why so many people only seem to play GWX.
The weather in NYGM seems superior, for instance. Twice now I had those annoying long lasting heavy fog periods, even though I do use Stiebler's weather fix included in the addon.
Although I cannot guarantee that I've just had bad luck so far.
I think if there were optional campaign layers for NYGM, I'd rather play that.

Son of 79
03-31-13, 03:00 AM
Between vanilla GWX and NYGM (the 2 supermods I've played), NYGM has significantly less traffic overall. I've went weeks without a single contact and here and there I return to base empty handed. Now that I think about it I've never seen a ship larger than a light cruiser as I do not do port attacks.

Rokko
03-31-13, 04:45 AM
Funny, my own perception is entirely opposite. During 4 patrols I have encountered one carrier, one battleship and 2 light cruisers as well as 2 large liners in 4-5 convoys encountered, without ever going near any other port than Wilhelmshaven.
In GWX I've encountered nothing so far but a strange battlegroup consisting of a light cruiser and 2 auxilliary cruisers despite patroling for 4 weeks, 2 of them near Rockall Bank (in 1941).

Obltn Strand
03-31-13, 06:05 AM
I have similar experiences as Son of 79.

NYGM did include the boredom.

GWX tends to create too much single ship traffic for my taste and realism expectations.

RustySubmarine
03-31-13, 06:06 AM
No matter what Mod you play, it's the luck of the draw, whether you see nothing or lots of ships, on various patrols. All depends on what route you have plotted. You can plot a certain route to reach your patrol grid and meet a convoy en route, other times your plotted course can throw you fifty miles away, of the same convoy. That's what makes playing SH3, very immersive, you just don't know what the outcome of each patrol is going to bring.

MantiBrutalis
03-31-13, 11:45 AM
I don't know about later years, but I twice managed to burn all the fuel (Ahead Standard) of a VIIB in 1940 in the Atlantic while encountering only two ships. With GWX.