PDA

View Full Version : A lab “accident” may solve your annoying battery problems.

Onkel Neal
03-25-13, 07:16 AM
I hope this is not like so many other science miracles and it fades away.

Batteries are terrible. Compared to many other methods of storing energy, especially fossil fuels, batteries aren’t very energy dense—that is, a 1-pound battery stores far less energy than is contained in a pound of gasoline. That wouldn’t be so bad if the energy in a battery were easy to replenish—your Tesla might still go only a couple hundred miles on a single charge, but if you could fully recharge it in five minutes rather than several hours, the low capacity wouldn’t bother you as much.

http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/alternative_energy/2013/03/graphene_supercapacitors_small_cheap_energy_dense_ replacements_for_batteries.html

Catfish
03-25-13, 08:30 AM
What about the hundred-year-old iron battery ?
Only 80 percent storage of a recent one, but holds forever !

But this may become a breakthrough, in a few years - thanks for posting !
The Max-Planck institute has just found aluminium to be the perfect stuff for batteries, last week - there's something happening after all this time :up:

AVGWarhawk
03-25-13, 08:45 AM
He does state at the end of the article that this is in the works. Possibly 5-6 years it could come to fruition. Admittedly, batteries have come a long way.

Sailor Steve
03-25-13, 12:03 PM
We've all heard about Ben Franklin and the kite. What a lot of people don't know is that old Ben was a dedicated scientist. The kite-and-key experiment was actually very carefully controlled, and took place in a budding storm but not when actual lightning was coming down.

Franklin saw a static-electricity demonstration after he retired from the printing business and bought a set of six Leyden jars and a static generator. He conducted experiments over a period of several months, trying his jars both in series and in parallel. He then sent his papers to the Royal Academy of Sciences in London. They awarded him the Copley medal for scientific achievement, prompting him to write back "I am pleased to see that, while you have not yet perfected the creation of gold, you have discovered how to duplicate it."

Part of Franklin's paper was an apology for creating inadequate terms for dealing with the subject, and invited the Academy to change any of them they wished to. Among his "inadequate" terms were "Positive" and "Negative Charge", and "Storage Battery".

Benjamin Franklin was not only an author, politcian and statesmen, he was regarded by his peers as one of the great scientists of his time.

Oh, and the relevance? Franklin didn't invent the electric battery, but he did give it that name.

AVGWarhawk
03-25-13, 12:51 PM
We've all heard about Ben Franklin and the kite.

Yes. Shocking.

:O:

Jimbuna
03-25-13, 01:11 PM
Yes. Shocking.

:O:

Beaten to it again :stare:

TarJak
03-25-13, 09:44 PM
Beaten...again :stare:

And so you should be. Repeatedly.:O:

Sailor Steve
03-26-13, 05:43 AM
And so you should be. Repeatedly.:O:
Okay, you two. Nobody here wants to watch. Go beat each other in private. :stare:

The Enigma
03-26-13, 04:27 PM
That article describes an very interesting development.
All we have to do know is wait for the final prototype and a commercial exploitation of the technique.

Nice found Neal.

mapuc
03-26-13, 04:43 PM
A few month ago, in the danish newspaper, you could read that the EU have gone bananas, because they have made a law, that said that about 5000 charging-station should be build in Denmark.

Some of my friends posted this on his wall and we got a good laugh

However I wrote following

When you see how long they have come in the development of the electric car in the last 10 years, I assume it will be not be so long again to we have a electric car that is cheaper and better that our gasoline driven car.

It may not be tomorrow or next year, but it will be in a decade or so and when that day comes-there will not ba any charging-station....The EU have seen this coming that's why they made this law.

I can't remember the name of this law.

Markus