PDA

View Full Version : New player question.

scuba
03-24-13, 12:23 PM
Greetings all!

So being a new player of SH4 and finding out about the amazing mod scene, I was surfing through the available mods for this game. TMO+RDSC seem to be the way to go for getting the best game experience. I went ahead and downloaded the latest TMO and RDSC, and got it all set up and running.

My question is this. Being a new player, would it be wiser to just play a patched up vanilla for awhile to learn the basics before diving in to TMO and RDSC and getting overwhelmed?

fireftr18
03-24-13, 12:46 PM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

Given your name, I think you need to make sure we have enough air. I want you to go to the main valve on the tanks, put your mouth over it and open all the way. That way, you can make sure you get enough air.

You need to be patched up to 1.5 for the latest mods to work. If you have the U-boat add on or "Gold" then you're already there. Of course everyone has different opinions on whether to start with stock or not. You can start with stock so that you can really appreciate what the mods do. You can also use stock to get the basic idea of the controls and how to run the simulation. Or you can download TMO wTw (Trigger Maru Overhauled with Training Wheels). It has all the changes except it tones down enemy AI. Some say just dive into full TMO and go for it.

Red October1984
03-24-13, 01:13 PM
Greetings all!

So being a new player of SH4 and finding out about the amazing mod scene, I was surfing through the available mods for this game. TMO+RDSC seem to be the way to go for getting the best game experience. I went ahead and downloaded the latest TMO and RDSC, and got it all set up and running.

My question is this. Being a new player, would it be wiser to just play a patched up vanilla for awhile to learn the basics before diving in to TMO and RDSC and getting overwhelmed?

Don't play Vanilla.

The Stock game is horrible. Play full TMO+RSRDC and I recommend Traveller's Mod.

It's a wonderful game. Welcome to PACFLT...

les green01
03-24-13, 03:23 PM
welcome to the fleet Captain as far as jumping right in,its up to you but personly I think better off jumping in and enjoying the game how it was meant to be.

scuba
03-24-13, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! I figured I would ask the pros.:salute:

Looks like I'll be going with TMO+RSRDC and I will check out the Traveller mod. Thanks again for the recommendations.

Forward unto glory!

TorpX
03-24-13, 09:03 PM
Welcome aboard! :salute:

You can spend some time playing with stock, but keep in mind that any career you invest in, cannot be ported over to a modded game. Personally, I wouldn't waste too much time with stock.

Also, I should point out, there are other mega-mods besides TMO. There is GFO, RFB, OM, and FOTRS, as well as RSRDC.

scuba
03-24-13, 10:49 PM
So what exactly does Traveller Mod do? I've found the download but no description.

Also, would this be the correct load order in JSGME?

Trigger Maru Overhauled ver 2.5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
Traveller Mod v2.01 for TMO with(RSRD) v502

Red October1984
03-24-13, 10:59 PM
So what exactly does Traveller Mod do? I've found the download but no description.

Also, would this be the correct load order in JSGME?

Trigger Maru Overhauled ver 2.5
RSRDC_TMO_V502
Traveller Mod v2.01 for TMO with(RSRD) v502

You need the TMO Patch and the RSRDC Patch.

Traveller Mod redoes the damage model to make it more realistic. If you have flooding, you will sink even if you are on the surface. It also allows you to bottom out your sub and sit on the ocean floor without taking damage. The latest version of the mod is V2.02 actually. The .02 version isn't in the subsim downloads, but me or Armistead could get it for you. Traveller Mod also does some other things. I'll PM the Readme to you. It's a bit lengthy to post.

scuba
03-24-13, 11:07 PM
Thanks Red October, I would really like to have the latest of the Traveller mod, it sounds great. I'll dl those patches as well as check out the Traveller readme when you send it.

AVGWarhawk
03-25-13, 07:52 AM
Welcome aboard Scuba! Personally I suggest you play a few in the vanilla version. Then play with the mods. You get to see exactly where this game has gone with modding. :up:

fastfed
03-26-13, 12:50 AM
You're on the right track with the TMO..

Just a warning and my personal feelings (And also from many others)

RSRD, is awesome in many ways, I mean its pretty much realistic, all the main battles will be in the areas they really happened, many convoys and even single ships, but it doesn't mean FUN at all times.. While hitting merchants and some DD's are thrilling, personally I love seeing a fat ship, a cruiser,battleship and even the greatest thing to sink, a flat top (carrier), problem with RSRD, as in real life, you're not going to see those just cruising around for fun, so you won't randomly run into them. Unless you cheat and look up the locations of the battles /midway/Santa Cruz/bizzmark sea and so on, don't expect much fat ships meeting your fish.

I started to recently play 100% realism, manual targeting, no ext. view so I put RSRD back on, but I must say, I'm kind of getting bored of the same old merchants. so just remember, in time, just take off RSRD, because coming across a task force filled with a bunch of carriers and battleships is AWESOME!

as for the Traveller Mod, I was recently given this mod to try out.. Sitting on the bottom taking now damage is cool, although its not like the enemy loses complete detection, so it almost never works, or at least every time I tried it.

It would be nice when you have such heavy flooding and you're trying to repair, but at that point chances are you already have a ton of DD's dropping cans on you, you won't last anyway.

Personally, Traveller Mod is nicely done, but its kind of too much, airplanes are the biggest issue, they will follow you around once they spot you and yea, that seems cool and realistic, but even if you haven't been spotted yet, they could be 100 miles away and turn right into you as if they have radar (They don't) that early in the way.

Finally, one of the greatest mods for this game hands down, is OTC.. Trust me, at first I didn't like it, and actually gave some reasons as to why, but.. once you understand the visual differences, you will come to love it!

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=181172

and travel mod won't work with it.

Red October1984
03-26-13, 06:16 AM
as for the Traveller Mod, I was recently given this mod to try out.. Sitting on the bottom taking now damage is cool, although its not like the enemy loses complete detection, so it almost never works, or at least every time I tried it.

It would be nice when you have such heavy flooding and you're trying to repair, but at that point chances are you already have a ton of DD's dropping cans on you, you won't last anyway.

Personally, Traveller Mod is nicely done, but its kind of too much, airplanes are the biggest issue, they will follow you around once they spot you and yea, that seems cool and realistic, but even if you haven't been spotted yet, they could be 100 miles away and turn right into you as if they have radar (They don't) that early in the way.

Armistead mentioned a fix for the Traveller Mod that toned down the airplanes. I think if you contacted him he could help you out. Sitting on the bottom works sometimes. It helps when you go harbor raiding in decent depth harbors. There's a part in the Truk harbors where you can sit on the bottom below the layer and reload torpedoes. :up:

I haven't had a problem with airplanes. Just dive and don't get spotted. They did that "Crazy turn thing from 100 miles" even without the Traveller Mod activated.

Fifi
03-26-13, 06:29 AM
Finally, one of the greatest mods for this game hands down, is OTC.. Trust me, at first I didn't like it, and actually gave some reasons as to why, but.. once you understand the visual differences, you will come to love it!

100% agreed! :yep:
Had some time to get used to deck view, but now, i couldn't run SH4 without...

and travel mod won't work with it.

Herr...i'm running TMO 2.5 + Traveller Mod for TMO + OTC for TMO 2.5 without any issue so far :hmmm:

Front Runner
03-26-13, 06:35 AM
The latest version of the mod is V2.02 actually. The .02 version isn't in the subsim downloads, but me or Armistead could get it for you.

I respectfully request a link to the V2.02 Traveller mod.
Thanks!