PDA

View Full Version : The Return of Aramike (For real this time???)

Aramike
03-21-13, 12:53 AM
Yes, yes, I'm back. No, I don't expect it to be an event to anyone. I've really only known this community for a bit over four years, so who the hell am I to make a scene?

Well, except that I like making scenes...

Some of you remember me, some of you don't. For the latter, I'm a notoriously sarcastic, insanely passionate, conservative American that loves to hang out in the GT forums - even (especially?) with those who may disagree with me.

For the former ... I'm sorry. :yeah:

In any case, I think I have an interesting story to tell so let me have at it ... I started subsimming years ago on the Nintendo Entertainment System with Silent Service - and I fell in love with the genre. I next played ... blah blah blah 688 Attack Sub blah blah blah blah Janes Something or Other blah blah Silent Hunter 1 or 2 or 3 blah blah SeaWolf or Something blah blah blah ...

So, like I said, I love the genre.

In any case, starting SHIV (no, not what you get stabbed in prison with) I Googled something (was Ask Jeeves still around in '08?) and found Subsim. I made SHIV *my* perfect game thanks to the tips on here. I played around in the General Topics forums. I even had a hand in getting the Best of Subsim off the ground.

Anyway, if you're not bored yet, you at least deserve another beer. Go get one. I'll wait.

Moving on ... at some point, work got kind of crazy, stressful even, requiring more travel than I'm accostomed to. It took a severe toll on my health, ultimately even causing a heart attack.

Not fun.

Sooo .... I culled down on all of my commitments and got away from anything that seemed to be stressors in my life, including this place. Not that it was a bad stressor, mind you; rather, it was just another distraction from my focusing on "important stuff". I kinda forgot that "important stuff" included my person leisure activities, but whatever.

What brings me back? Well let me tell you ... I quit the job that may have been killing me and struck out on my own. That meant the wife telling me to brew my own damned coffee. That led to my discovering a Subsim coffee container I thought I had lost. Extra free time led me to playing more games, especially simulation and strategy games. That led me to screwing up my Darkest Hour saves with a stupid patch download decision. Which led me to my birthday and a Happy Birthday from Subsim. Which led me to Subsim yet again, and questioning myself as to why the hell I stopped playing Subsim games.

Which led me to buying SHIV (again, not the weapon) and needing to download mods again. Which led to my daily download limit. Which led to donating. Which led to me realizing that, while I've donated before, I've never given this place what I should have.

Which led to me being far more interested in spending time with my old friends on here than even playing the damned game that brought be here in the first place.

So why am I posting this wall of text? Duh.

So you have to read it.

Kidding. Seriously, just think about that. That's the community you've got here. Sure, there's a ton around the games and interests we share. But sharing those interests can actually be more engaging than the games themselves.

Anyway, I'm back, and I while I don't know the future, I plan on staying. :salute:

nikimcbee
03-21-13, 12:56 AM
I quit the job that may have been killing me and struck out on my own

Tell me your secret.:hmm2:

nikimcbee
03-21-13, 12:57 AM
I voted people, but Neal's Dad is a great cook:up:.

Aramike
03-21-13, 01:03 AM
Tell me your secret.:hmm2::haha:

A working wife and saving money for decades!

nikimcbee
03-21-13, 01:11 AM
:haha:

A working wife and saving money for decades!

I have a coworker buddy, whose wife is a nurse. I asked him why he doesn't retire...
She said no to that.:haha:

Aramike
03-21-13, 01:17 AM
I have a coworker buddy, whose wife is a nurse. I asked him why he doesn't retire...
She said no to that.:haha::haha:

I probably overstated the working wife part (she also works in the medical community). Having your ticker cause problems helps (really?) but I cannot overstate saving.

Feuer Frei!
03-21-13, 01:30 AM
Why is there no option for: "Came back for the GT"?

Aramike
03-21-13, 01:35 AM
Why is there no option for: "Came back for the GT"?Good question. I guess that falls under "People". Or "Food". Yeah, food for thought.

Food.

magic452
03-21-13, 01:59 AM
Welcome back. :salute:

It's the people here in GT or in the game forums.

I'm kinda like you, don't play SHIV (the game) much lately but check in GT most every night. Always enjoyed your post.

Magic

Cybermat47
03-21-13, 02:06 AM
WELCOME
BACK
TO
SUBSIM!

If you're a conservative, I'm sure we'll end up arguing a lot in the horrific arena of GT :O:

Tribesman
03-21-13, 02:17 AM
Stress can be a bugger, good that you moved job.
Its a pity the move wasn't before the heart kicked off.

NeonSamurai
03-21-13, 02:36 AM
It is nice to see you back again. I certainly do remember you :)

Herr-Berbunch
03-21-13, 02:49 AM
Welcome back :salute:

I'm sure Neil could use a hand with the Best Of.

Wolferz
03-21-13, 07:59 AM
Welcome home.
We have a nice quiet room with a view prepared for you. But where's the fun in that? Rumpus room it is then! Just mind your blood pressure.:salute:

August
03-21-13, 08:55 AM
Nice to see you back Aramike. You can have my seat.

GT182
03-21-13, 09:39 AM
Welcome back Mike. :salute:

One thought on your poll. You should have had a box for All the Above. Now that would have been my vote. ;) :D

Aramike
03-21-13, 10:18 AM
Welcome back Mike. :salute:

One thought on your poll. You should have had a box for All the Above. Now that would have been my vote. ;) :DYou didn't have to just pick one ...:know:

Sailor Steve
03-21-13, 11:01 AM
SHIV (no, not what you get stabbed in prison with)
:rotfl2:
Six years playing the game and I never made that connection!

You did leave off the one thing that keeps me coming back to Subsim: I'm a addict. I couldn't start my day without listening to something and reading Subsim. That's all.

CaptainHaplo
03-21-13, 07:06 PM
All I can say is...

Its about blasted time you got back!!!!

LOL!

Welcome home, old friend.

TarJak
03-21-13, 07:09 PM
I voted food. Neals parents really are good cooks. Who are you again?

frau kaleun
03-21-13, 07:17 PM
I came to Casablanca for the waters.

Wait, what?

Reece
03-21-13, 07:22 PM
Hi Mike, long time no hear!!:yep: How has it been going?:hmmm:

ReallyDedPoet
03-21-13, 07:51 PM
Go Packers : )

Red October1984
03-21-13, 08:04 PM
Some of you remember me, some of you don't. For the latter, I'm a notoriously sarcastic, insanely passionate, conservative American that loves to hang out in the GT forums - even (especially?) with those who may disagree with me.

Looks like you and me will get along just fine. :arrgh!: I wasn't around here when you joined...but glad to see an old member come back.

Aramike
03-22-13, 02:46 AM
All I can say is...

Its about blasted time you got back!!!!

LOL!

Welcome home, old friend.Heck yeah! I missed you guys! For awhile I thought that debating and arguing on here was a stressor. Instead, it seems clear to me now that it was the opposite.

Besides, there's far more to the discussions we've had than that. Maybe it's a sign of the times, but I guess friends are people you're comfortable around in any medium.

OK, so there's my sappy was of saying I'm happy to be back! Is my wife slipping me estrogen these days? :oops:

Aramike
03-22-13, 02:48 AM
Go Packers : )Oh man, you don't say ...

How do you feel about the eventual reunification of Brent and the Packers Nation? Me, I'm all for it. I hated TT for letting him go, had to admit he was right, love Rodgers, but can't let go of Brent as a legend.

Aramike
03-22-13, 02:50 AM
Hi Mike, long time no hear!!:yep: How has it been going?:hmmm:Eh, little of this and that. Honestly, right now I'm driving myself nuts trying to reinstall SHIV with my favorite mods and realizing they are all called something different than they used to be. :doh:

Aramike
03-22-13, 02:57 AM
Looks like you and me will get along just fine. :arrgh!: I wasn't around here when you joined...but glad to see an old member come back.Hey man, absolutely cool! It's crazy cool to come back and see new blood that's planted some roots. Sometimes I worry that this genre and group of enthusiasts is dying, but new people keep emerging. Great to meet ya!

Jimbuna
03-22-13, 07:24 AM
Welcome back to the surface Mike http://www.psionguild.org/forums/images/smilies/wolfsmilies/pirate.gif

Herr-Berbunch
03-22-13, 10:48 AM
Well I ticked 'the people' as I've never had any subsimmer's food. I did once print out a recipe from here, but the paper tasted rubbish.

AVGWarhawk
03-22-13, 10:59 AM
Came back to roost! :up:

Pisces
03-22-13, 12:03 PM
Good to know you're back on the boat. Hmm, say, are you the same Aramike as on the 3000AD forums?

Aramike
03-22-13, 11:50 PM
Good to know you're back on the boat. Hmm, say, are you the same Aramike as on the 3000AD forums?Indeed ... now that's a place I haven't heard of often! Do you use the same name over there?

Pisces
03-23-13, 07:58 AM
Indeed ... now that's a place I haven't heard of often! Do you use the same name over there?Nope, I went by my real name there : Rico Jansen. Was part of Prime Fleet, Delta Wing iirc.

So, ..have a carrot on me, you Bunny! ;)

Aramike
03-24-13, 12:19 AM
Nope, I went by my real name there : Rico Jansen. Was part of Prime Fleet, Delta Wing iirc.

So, ..have a carrot on me, you Bunny! ;)I totally remember you, man! That place is pretty well dead these days, and it's too bad - that was one of the best communities I've been a part of.