PDA

View Full Version : Bugged torpedoes?

acofm89
03-18-13, 08:12 PM
Hello everyone. I seem to have a problem with my torpedoes. They always seems to pass behind whatever I want to shoot at. For the record I'm using auto-targeting and have TMO 2.5 installed. I've tried to offset the torpedo angle to campensate and I've tried to change the speed setting but nothing seems to work. Funny thing is it didn't seem to be like that from the beginning. On my first patrol I sunk a Japanese battleship from a distance of 3000 y no problem. Now I can't hit a merchant going 5 knots in a straight line even from a thousand yards. I think I'm on my fifth patrol now probably, and this problem seem to have arisen in the last couple of patrols. As I said, I didn't have it in the first place. Looking att the combat map I can see the torpedoes veering from their calculated trajectory. I've been forced to surface the boat and sink whatever merchants I've come across with my deckgun. Any ideas? Is this a bug, and if so is there anything that can be done about it?

Red October1984
03-18-13, 08:18 PM
Hello everyone. I seem to have a problem with my torpedoes. They always seems to pass behind whatever I want to shoot at. For the record I'm using auto-targeting and have TMO 2.5 installed. I've tried to offset the torpedo angle to campensate and I've tried to change the speed setting but nothing seems to work. Funny thing is it didn't seem to be like that from the beginning. On my first patrol I sunk a Japanese battleship from a distance of 3000 y no problem. Now I can't hit a merchant going 5 knots in a straight line even from a thousand yards. I think I'm on my fifth patrol now probably, and this problem seem to have arisen in the last couple of patrols. As I said, I didn't have it in the first place. Looking att the combat map I can see the torpedoes veering from their calculated trajectory. I've been forced to surface the boat and sink whatever merchants I've come across with my deckgun. Any ideas? Is this a bug, and if so is there anything that can be done about it?

Don't compensate the torpedo angle....There's your problem.

If the Auto-Targeting says something, don't correct it. Don't mess with the Gyro Angle or anything. Try this out and see what happens.

razark
03-18-13, 09:02 PM
Are you opening the torpedo tube doors before firing? Failing to open the doors causes a delay before firing that will cause the torpedo to miss astern of the target.

Edit:
And welcome to Subsim!

acofm89
03-19-13, 03:06 AM
I've only tried to adjust the spread angle after I've already fired two or three torpedos and they've all passed behind the ship I'm firing at. I also thought I might have forgotten to open the tubes, but there are times I'm positive that I remembered to do it and it didn't seem too make any difference. One thing I did came to think about though was that I think all of the ship encounters when this has happened took place in the daytime. It's possible they simply saw my torpedoes and increased speed or something even if they didn't seem to react otherwise. They all kept going in a straight line basically :hmmm:

Red October1984
03-19-13, 06:18 AM
I've only tried to adjust the spread angle after I've already fired two or three torpedos and they've all passed behind the ship I'm firing at. I also thought I might have forgotten to open the tubes, but there are times I'm positive that I remembered to do it and it didn't seem too make any difference. One thing I did came to think about though was that I think all of the ship encounters when this has happened took place in the daytime. It's possible they simply saw my torpedoes and increased speed or something even if they didn't seem to react otherwise. They all kept going in a straight line basically :hmmm:

They might have seen it.

What angle are you firing from? And what mods are you running?

fireftr18
03-19-13, 04:32 PM
Welcome aboard Subsim. :salute:

Sounds like you need to clean your sensors, wires and buttons. Clean out the inside of the TDC while you're at it. Get on that right away. :haha:

Apparently you're using auto targeting. You say you're making sure the torpedo doors are open. Are you "locking on" with the auto target? If you don't, then your "crew" won't make any changes and the gyro angle will remain the same. Lock on and your "crew" and the TDC will continue to update the information and you will probably get an accurate hit.

acofm89
03-20-13, 02:25 AM
Red October. I try to position myself slightly ahead of the target ship and fire from about a 45 degree, and I'm running TMO 2.5.

Fireftr. Yes, I did remember to lock on :03: I've been playing vanilla style for sometime but decided that I had to start playing it with mods since I think the playability of the vanilla version is kind of "meh" :O:

By the way I'd like to thank everyone for welcoming me to the forum and for trying to help me out :salute:

I might just have had a streak of bad luck. I mean if every torpedo would be a hit it wouldn't be very fun or rewarding. It would basically be another shoot em' up designed to make the player feel awsome all the time instead of a game that takes effort and patience and rewards the hell out of you when you do succeed in sinking something. I'm also aware of the fact that historically USN torpedos around the time of the outbreak of the war in the Pacific were junk; running in circles and such. So the reason as to why I seem to be missing my targets so often could perhaps be because the game i simulating the garbage torpedos :hmmm:

dannygjk
03-20-13, 04:15 AM
Yes in WW2 the torpedoes were quite buggy for about the first 18 months. The commanders complained for a long time before some tests were run which determined a few serious bugs :) I think the Mark 14 was the worst. If I remember right, if you run the Mark 14 at fast speed and bow angle about 90 degrees you will have more fails than successes! :dead:

Dan

acofm89
03-20-13, 04:50 AM
Yup, that was the story. The Trigger Maru does a great job replicating the issues with the mk.14 I've noticed. I think that's kind of cool, because it gives you a reason to consider taking the mk.10s instead, for the sake of reliability :)
One thing I noticed though when I started out my current career is that you could pick the S-boat and still arm it with mk.14 torpedos. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the S-boat's tubes were to short to accomodate the mk.14?
Anyway, thanks for all your suggestions. I actually did manage to torpedo a merchant ship just now, so I might just have been really unlucky before :)

les green01
03-20-13, 08:12 AM
your right the sugar boats tubes was too small for mk.14's