PDA

View Full Version : Falklands Referendum Result

Jimbuna
03-12-13, 07:36 AM
99.8% in favourof remaining a British territory and a turnout of 92%.

Most governments are elected on a lot less.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9923871/Falklands-referendum-vote-result-announced.html

Catfish
03-12-13, 07:46 AM
Thanks, of course nothing else expected ..
(but were there even more than 92 voters ?)
Now i am interested in the argentine comment .. and reaction :)

HundertzehnGustav
03-12-13, 07:57 AM
LOLLLLLLL

:D:har:

a)we will rule the Falklands!!!

b) fight on the beaches... bring it on!

Skybird
03-12-13, 08:14 AM
Now i am interested in the argentine comment .. and reaction :)
Really? Could there be any news?

HundertzehnGustav
03-12-13, 08:19 AM
*silence* is also to be interpreted as *a reaction*

XD

BossMark
03-12-13, 09:32 AM
Pretty close result then :har:

Herr-Berbunch
03-12-13, 09:38 AM
Without looking I'm guessing the Argentinian government is going to say something along the lines of - it's irrelevant, it's fixed, it doesn't matter what the islanders want, unequivocally they are ours.

Please don't let this thread become a 'bash the Argies' thread. This site has quite a few Argentinians registered, the ones I've had any dealings with whatsoever are great, friendly, educated, and a welcome addition to Subsim.

mapuc
03-12-13, 09:40 AM
No reaction from Argentina??

Right now I read the swedish teletext, were the ambassador to Argentina
have said
" We respect that they want to be brittish, but the ground the live on is not brittish"

Markus

donna52522
03-12-13, 09:58 AM
Well of course the occupying British populace is going to vote to remain British.

Poor Argentina, always kicked around by the big boys. :wah:

Betonov
03-12-13, 10:24 AM
Please don't let this thread become a 'bash the Argies' thread. This site has quite a few Argentinians registered, the ones I've had any dealings with whatsoever are great, friendly, educated, and a welcome addition to Subsim.

it should be ''Bash the official Buenos Aires''
I believe the Argentinians at this are going to join in

BossMark
03-12-13, 10:28 AM

That thought never crossed my mind..................:03:

Jimbuna
03-12-13, 10:48 AM
Well in fairness to the Argentinians, there were three votes in their favour.

I hope this sleeping dog will now be left but I somehow doubt the politically motivated will allow that.

donna52522
03-12-13, 11:04 AM
I thought people who live in Argentina are known as Argentines. Oh wait, I guess they can be referred to as either......

Wikipedia:
Argentines (argentinos in Spanish), also called Argentinians, are the citizens of Argentina, or their descendants abroad.

I have no problems with either country or their peoples mentioned in this thread. In fact some of my best friends are from Canada. :)

Buddahaid
03-12-13, 11:06 AM
It won't because it's another political card to play in diverting the government from addressing domestic issues. Just like the USA uses gay marriage and abortion as red herrings to make big heartfelt speeches while the foundation crumbles.

Marcantilan
03-12-13, 12:20 PM
When I first heard a referendum was considered (early last year) I think, wow, a clever move: they (islanders) would ask for independence and they will have world opinion backing them (everybody loves tiny nations, specially the new "free" ones)

But the referendum is about to remain British. So, no news in here. In fact, I could say that this improves Argentine position about the islands (no three parties involved: mainlanders and islanders are the same...).

Besides that, this is a problem about land, not about people who live on it. I donīt think Argentina even think on evicting the islanders or sell their land or something in that line.

Well, my point. If anyone wants to attack Ms. Kirchner, be my guest. I hardly swallow her.

Regards!

Jimbuna
03-12-13, 12:35 PM
When I first heard a referendum was considered (early last year) I think, wow, a clever move: they (islanders) would ask for independence and they will have world opinion backing them (everybody loves tiny nations, specially the new "free" ones)

But the referendum is about to remain British. So, no news in here. In fact, I could say that this improves Argentine position about the islands (no three parties involved: mainlanders and islanders are the same...).

Besides that, this is a problem about land, not about people who live on it. I donīt think Argentina even think on evicting the islanders or sell their land or something in that line.

Well, my point. If anyone wants to attack Ms. Kirchner, be my guest. I hardly swallow her.

Regards!

Isn't it great when the politicians get involved :03:

Hopefully things will quieten down for a bit.

STEED
03-12-13, 02:08 PM
I was one of the 0.1%

I voted we go Irish and free Guinness served every day at noon.

Out voted by flat warm beer drinkers.

Jimbuna
03-12-13, 03:39 PM
I was one of the 0.1%

I voted we go Irish and free Guinness served every day at noon.

Out voted by flat warm beer drinkers.

LOL ya crazy bugga :)

August
03-12-13, 06:58 PM

Doesn't matter. These people have a right to self determination. The islanders have decided they wish to remain British by overwhelming margins. There is really nothing else to be said.

Marcantilan
03-12-13, 08:39 PM
Doesn't matter. These people have a right to self determination. The islanders have decided they wish to remain British by overwhelming margins. There is really nothing else to be said.

And British will remain!

However, UN pushed (since 1965) negotiations based on the interests and not the wishes of the islanders. And thatīs not the same.

Oberon
03-12-13, 08:49 PM
I think what Marcantilan is trying to get across is that in Argentinas eyes, the islanders are squatting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squatting) on Argentinian land, whereas Britain claims it to be British land. The arguement is not about the islanders or their allegience but who owns the land that they're on.

The trouble is when you start backdating claims to territory then the modern US is squatting on various American tribes lands, Britain is squatting on god-alone-knows whose land, and let's not even get started on Belgium.

At the end of the day though, something that both Brits and Argentines will agree on is that this whole issue is being blown out of proportion by politicians seeking to distract the general public from economic troubles. For the most part, the British and Argentinian public have 'agreed to disagree' on the Falkland/Malvinas issue after the war and just want to get on with getting through this global recession.

August
03-12-13, 10:07 PM
I think what Marcantilan is trying to get across is that in Argentinas eyes, the islanders are squatting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squatting) on Argentinian land, whereas Britain claims it to be British land. The arguement is not about the islanders or their allegience but who owns the land that they're on.

The trouble is when you start backdating claims to territory then the modern US is squatting on various American tribes lands, Britain is squatting on god-alone-knows whose land, and let's not even get started on Belgium.

At the end of the day though, something that both Brits and Argentines will agree on is that this whole issue is being blown out of proportion by politicians seeking to distract the general public from economic troubles. For the most part, the British and Argentinian public have 'agreed to disagree' on the Falkland/Malvinas issue after the war and just want to get on with getting through this global recession.

I see what you're saying and agree though I think that to the Islanders themselves it must be somewhat disconcerting.

Synthfg
03-13-13, 06:08 AM

Britain doesn't claim the islands as British tho
The islands are self governing but have chosen to remain affiliated to Great Britain
The Islanders many of them 8th or 9th Generation can hardly be described as recent immigrants or colonists,
They are in effect an independent small nation who rely on the UK gov for support especially in foreign policy and defense matters

Jimbuna
03-13-13, 07:49 AM
Britain doesn't claim the islands as British tho
The islands are self governing but have chosen to remain affiliated to Great Britain
The Islanders many of them 8th or 9th Generation can hardly be described as recent immigrants or colonists,
They are in effect an independent small nation who rely on the UK gov for support especially in foreign policy and defense matters

Sadly those facts can be forgotten when there is the chance there are huge mineral and oil reserves in the area...and that goes for both sides.

Marcantilan
03-13-13, 04:18 PM
Suspend all referendums...

We are going to ask the Pope about it! :cool:

Tribesman
03-13-13, 04:31 PM
British history says that is not the case.

Jimbuna
03-13-13, 05:33 PM
Suspend all referendums...

We are going to ask the Pope about it! :cool:

Quite a suprise to many but I imagine quite an honour for your country :cool:

Skybird
03-13-13, 05:38 PM
Wikipedia says that it has been a constant going and leaving there, but when I oversee it all it seems to me that the French were first to land, almost simultaneously with the British. The French folded voluntarily and left their claims to Spain. However, it seems the British were the first to officially formulate a claim for the islands, and although they left for some time when they had this little argument with their impertinent Northern colonies, they also left behind a badge that reiterated that claim, making it clear they did not mean to give it up.

On the issue of Palestinian Arabs I have argued that even illegal shiftings of borders after some time, after some decades and generation, creat new facts on the ground that one cannot correct anymore wihtout needing to create new injustice. Therefore I side with the Israelis after these 70+ years. I would not but sit on the fence, if the founding of Israel would have been only some few years ago.

I also said in past discussions that I oppose the way NATO intervened in Kosovo and pushed the Serbs out, allowing that Albanians moved from Albania into Kosovo in great numbers and afterwards arguing that Kosovo always had been theirs. I never accepted that "logic" and still do not accept it, but maybe will in half a century, if I would still be around then, which is impossible. Around 90& of the Albanians in Kosovo are there since just a few years.

These two cases I just explain to illustrate that when it comes to people's referendum whether they want to be Argentinian or british, this referendum alone doe snot count that much indeed. What gives it validity is not the outcome itself, but the long time that the people giving that referendum already are on th island. The time factor. The Argentinians, on their behalf, have no such time argument to defend their claim for the islands. They also were not the first to raise any claims in the past. The first were the French and the British. The British have not taken away anything from argentinia.

Well, that'S how I see it.