PDA

View Full Version : Keep stating new campaigns

GilligansBoat
03-03-13, 11:11 AM
Is it just me or do you get bored of a campaign and then start a new on with different mods and then do it all over again :rotfl2:

fireftr18
03-03-13, 11:35 AM
I normally start at Dec 7, and stay until VJ day. The secret is when you get bored, when you get into home port, go to another activity. I'll run the same campaign for months doing it that way. Each time you get into port, the game has a record of what you've done, then you're starting over again as if new.
It is perfectly acceptable to run your campaign for a couple patrols, quit and start over. In real life, a sub skipper only went on a few patrols before being rotated out. I know someone else here will know the exact time frame.
When it comes down to it, it's your game, and you do it the way you want.

Sailor Steve
03-03-13, 11:39 AM
Ever since SH1 I've been in the habit of running several careers at the same time, one from each available command. With SH3 I start with one each from the 1st, 2nd and 7th flotillas. My problem isn't that I get bored, but that every time somebody comes out with a great new mod I feel the need to start over and use it from the beginning. This means I've never progressed past mid-1940, which means that even though I've owned SH4 for six years now I've never actually played an American campaign.

We all have our little foibles. :sunny:

Armistead
03-03-13, 12:02 PM
When I first started playing I always tried to finish a total career, now I mostly do 5 patrols and start over.

fithah4
03-03-13, 01:00 PM
Playing the stock version I would really get board with that return trip to base, mainly Pearl. So after some patrols I started re-fitting and going after prime areas of shipping for action. Although this would lead to higher renown and quicker advancement.

Trying different mods It was hard to stay focused on objective after previous career game play. After using different Mofinisedds and have base advancement the career experience was much better and not as boring. I still slip into the old habits to break up the patrols monotony.
I have finished several careers but had same thought that endind was anti-climatic, mabe an ending reel instead of credits!!

I only wish the rig was working, starting to get the bug again to get involved in OM career. :nope:

fith

TorpX
03-03-13, 04:05 PM
I don't get bored, but like Sailor, I will often want to start over. Either I will get killed, or someone will come out with a mod, or I will want to try something different style of play.

In real life, a sub skipper only went on a few patrols before being rotated out. I know someone else here will know the exact time frame.

I found out this is more of a forum myth than fact. The number of war patrols made by skippers varied quite a lot. First, they could be relieved for cause, they could get killed (or have their boats destroyed), they might lose their command for medical reasons, or even ask to be relieved. It is true few made more than five consecutive patrols as a commander, but many made several patrols as an officer, XO, or PCO before getting a boat of their own. Also, they might be relieved, sent to other duty for a rest, and get a new command later.

Looking in my copy of Silent Victory, I see quite a few skippers had 7 or more patrols, and a couple had 10. As this is in a list of top skippers, this isn't necessarily the highest number of patrols made.