PDA

View Full Version : Jettison Debris

spurlash
03-01-13, 12:02 PM
Hi Guy's, have we a mod for the jettisoning of debris from hunted U boats to try and fool the enemy hunters ?, I think this would be cool, and very useful as a last resort.
Any views or comments?

Jimbuna
03-01-13, 01:12 PM
None that I'm aware of.

guntherprien
03-01-13, 01:17 PM
I think it's a great idea,especially if it throws them off,lol.
However,if it's possible to do is another matter.
There again,I wouldn't put anything beyond the talent on this forum,they are brilliant people.:subsim:

Sailor Steve
03-01-13, 01:59 PM
Later in the war u-boats are equipped with BOLD, a bubble-emitting canister designed to fool SONAR.

desertstriker
03-01-13, 05:33 PM
historically Uboats would occasionally jettison debris and go to make DDs think they where dead.

ninja turtle
03-02-13, 05:05 AM
Hi Guy's, have we a mod for the jettisoning of debris from hunted U boats to try and fool the enemy hunters ?, I think this would be cool, and very useful as a last resort.
Any views or comments?

I think this is a brilliant idea. Didn't one of the earlier Sub Sims have this?

VONHARRIS
03-02-13, 06:38 AM
It was for sure in Silent Service II.

Anyway , that would be a very nice addition to SH3, under the condition that it clould be effective , not eye candy only.

ninja turtle
03-02-13, 06:50 AM
It was for sure in Silent Service II.

Anyway , that would be a very nice addition to SH3, under the condition that it clould be effective , not eye candy only.

Yes it was in Silent Service 2. I totally agree that it should be an effective ruse not eye candy
:up:

Sailor Steve
03-02-13, 10:19 AM
It was also in Silent Hunter 1. The good news there was that it could work, but didn't always.

ninja turtle
03-02-13, 12:20 PM
It was also in Silent Hunter 1. The good news there was that it could work, but didn't always.

Ah Silent hunter 1. Such a long time ago and so many happy memories. It's good that the debris trick didn't always work.

Red October1984
03-02-13, 12:47 PM
Yes it was in Silent Service 2. I totally agree that it should be an effective ruse not eye candy
:up:

Even if it is eye candy.....that'd be pretty awesome.

If it worked....well that would be even more awesome. :woot: :D

Victor Schutze
03-02-13, 01:21 PM
I remember this feature in SH1 or Silent Service around the 90s'. It is not implemented in SH3. I guess it is what one can call progress... :doh:

Sailor Steve
03-02-13, 02:47 PM
It's good that the debris trick didn't always work.
Wasn't so good when I died! :dead:

danzig70
03-02-13, 08:33 PM
It reminds me of an episode of star trek with a cloaked Romulan ship being hunted by the Enterprise.

Sailor Steve
03-03-13, 12:12 AM
It reminds me of an episode of star trek with a cloaked Romulan ship being hunted by the Enterprise.
Yep. That episode was ripped directly from the movie The Enemy Below. Highly recommended.

danzig70
03-03-13, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.

spurlash
03-03-13, 01:23 PM
Shipmates,
I had this thought soon after starting a campaign in 1940, (before the issue/invention of decoys that worked on an audible premise).
It would be cool as a last resort, throw of the dice sort of thing, to see if visible floating debris could put a hunter off the scent, and determine weather we die or we live to fight again. We have floating debris now with most sinking's, so I think it's feasible. Making it happen however is another matter, and I'm afraid way beyond MY capabilities.
Cheers for the response,
Spurlash.

TorpX
03-03-13, 02:24 PM
Yep. That episode was ripped directly from the movie The Enemy Below. Highly recommended.
It reminded me of this too (The Enemy Below, not the Star Trek episode). I forget the details, but in the movie, didn't the U-boat release oil to interfere with the DD's sonar?

HW3
03-03-13, 02:39 PM
Oil release was another trick used to make the DD's think they had sunk the u-boat. Bold was used to create an underwater cloud of bubbles to give false echo's to the DD's Asdic.

:subsim:

Madox58
03-03-13, 08:05 PM
Maybe, if you did a custom torpedo thing you could get a passable debris thing working.

It would take alot of work in differnet areas to get something that woud give you the visuals along with MAYBE actually messing with surface units.

FUBAR295
03-03-13, 11:19 PM

The episode was titled "Balance of Terror".

Mork_417
03-05-13, 03:38 AM

Yeah, I used it way too often. :haha: