PDA

View Full Version : Bad Paint

MarkCt
03-01-13, 09:27 AM
Playing TMO with RSRDC with a couple new add ons and was ready to start another campaign. I had some renoun points to use so I added a couple new crew members, I added the air search radar and the upgraded paint scheme to my S boat. Pretty much all the time I start out in the harbor but since this was my first patrol I decided to start at the pier.

Well the screen loads and I'm inside the boat. I go through all the keys to refresh which ones go to which station. The last key puts me outside and behind the boat. So I zoom in to get a good look at my new command and what do I see, rust covering pretty much the whole boat. It was so bad the the Navy band that was playing Anchors Away on the dock had their backs facing the boat. Even the officers and nurses waving goodbye couldn't stand the sight and had their backs turned also. So much for the renoun spent on a new paint job.

Probably one of those guys from another boat that goes around at night and scrounges stuff swiped my paint.

All that was left was to let go the lines and sail off in my rusty little boat. :oops:

Armistead
03-01-13, 11:39 AM
You'll probably die in it anyway, wouldn't worry about a lil rust.

TorpX
03-02-13, 01:06 AM
So much for the renoun spent on a new paint job.

You should have seen it before the paint. :)

Bothersome
03-02-13, 08:03 PM
That's something I've never quite understood why this game models all these boats and ships with rust on them... Back in the early 40's these were the pride of the Navy. And one thing they didn't tolorate was rust showing. These boats should look almost brand new for the time period. It's like they modeled them from a musium of today with no money or time to fix them.

TorpX
03-02-13, 10:17 PM
He did say he was talking about a S-boat. They were generally considered to be in, let's just say, "questionable" condition. The newer fleetboats would have been in pretty good condition, I imagine.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had a game that made each boat (and crew) a truly unique vessel, with it's own quirks and idiosyncrasies?

...Maybe when Ubisoft comes out with Silent Hunter XXIV.....:-?

Sniper297
03-03-13, 02:07 AM
Worst trouble with the Navy is where they put their ships - in salt water. Which corrodes the hell out of everything so the day you finish painting a section, it immediately starts rusting. 90% of a seaman's work is chipping scraping grinding and wire brushing, then repainting. And doing the same section again a week later because it started rusting again.

TorpX
03-03-13, 03:12 PM
This reminds me of what I read about the USS Seadragon. While on war patrols, the black paint wore off and exposed the red primer underneath, giving it a unique appearance ... and reputation. Tokyo Rose talked about the red pirate sub and all.

Red October1984
03-03-13, 03:42 PM
This reminds me of what I read about the USS Seadragon. While on war patrols, the black paint wore off and exposed the red primer underneath, giving it a unique appearance ... and reputation. Tokyo Rose talked about the red pirate sub and all.

The Red Dragon.... :D

It's in War in the Boats: My WW2 Sub Battles...

TorpX
03-03-13, 04:14 PM
Yep, that's the one!

Red October1984
03-03-13, 04:23 PM
Yep, that's the one!

Wanna read the review I did of the book? :shucks: ( Kinda proud of it... :) )

War in the Boats Review on Subsim (http://www.subsim.com/books/War_boats.htm)

TorpX
03-03-13, 05:59 PM
I did. It was good.

Read the book, too.

I especially liked the way he honestly describes how things were, when their operations did not, go as planned.

fastfed
03-03-13, 07:47 PM
Im getting

War in the Boats: My WWII Submarine Battles

Right now on kindle and will read it on my tablet..

I just finished Steel Boat, Iron Hearts, so I hope this one will be close to that.

MarkCt
03-03-13, 07:57 PM
You know I actually wouldn't have mined the rust had I not been given the option of a new paint job while in the management screen. TorpX your right, good thing I asked for the upgraded paint.

The funny part was the band and everyone on the pier with their backs towards my boat and there was no boat on the other side.

TorpX
03-03-13, 09:02 PM
I've probably had the same thing happen, but didn't notice. I can see that it might be disquieting.

Red October1984
03-03-13, 09:25 PM
I've probably had the same thing happen, but didn't notice. I can see that it might be disquieting.

Okay TorpX...I've got to ask...

Why are all your posts indented? :hmmm:

fastfed
03-03-13, 09:37 PM
Is that book good?

War in the Boats

About to buy it, lol

TorpX
03-03-13, 09:49 PM
Okay TorpX...I've got to ask...

Why are all your posts indented? :hmmm:
:haha:

It's not a secret code, or sinister device. I just think it looks better. Whenever I am reading something, I mean a paper document, the writing is not jammed right up against the top or side edges. Why do they use this anyway?

Is that book good?

Read Red's review. ....... (Yes, it is good. :))

Red October1984
03-03-13, 10:22 PM

It's not a secret code, or sinister device. I just think it looks better. Whenever I am reading something, I mean a paper document, the writing is not jammed right up against the top or side edges. Why do they use this anyway?

Well....I just think it's weird to see all these normal posts and then yours are off to the right....

But do what you want... :arrgh!:

As long as you don't start posting missile codes in One Time Pad Encryption for the Russians.... Then I'll have to alert a moderator.... :O:

fastfed
03-03-13, 10:51 PM

Read Red's review. ....... (Yes, it is good. :))

Ok thanks!! Into chapter 1 already, so far so good..

Sorry to derail the thread.. Carry on sailors

MarkCt
03-04-13, 11:10 PM
By the way, I read that book too and it is good. Happy reading.