PDA

View Full Version : Call For New stickies!

Gargamel
02-27-13, 11:53 PM
This means you mods, listen up.

And the rest of you too.

I feel its time we redo our sticky section in the SH3 Forums. We frequently get the same questions over and over again. Some are in the manual, some are not, some are hidden in the inner working of the game and you'll never figure it out on your own (like clicking "ship" in the recog manual to jump to that page, not printed anywhere but a sticky IIRC).

We need to compile a new User manual. For game play. Not the behemoth that the GWX's put out (again, fantastic work!), but a users guide to the actual game play. Incorporate known bugs, keyboard commands, stock game play, super mod variations, etc. Basically the manual that Ubi should have put out, but yet again, we as the players have to do for them. Including links to some of the best on topic threads would be essential, letting the knowledge base grow in those threads.

I'd be more than willing to Quarterback this endeavor, but my time here is limited yet again. Opinions?

Feuer Frei!
02-28-13, 12:35 AM
Also perhaps modding guides, for us(me) budding modders, eg. model editing, importing, exporting, tools used, download links to those, all in one sticky. Could be handy, a share your tips and know-how with each other.
I know a lot of mods have a readme attached, outlining roughly what was edited, but obviously not how.
Obviously that would pertain to the sh3 modding forum, but, nevertheless, i second the updating of stickies, in both forum sections.

Sailor Steve
02-28-13, 12:38 PM
Sounds good to me.

I do have one warning though: While it may be a great boon to everyone here, it won't end the endless questions. You will still get the same questions over and over again. The only difference there is that instead of answering them you will end up posting links to the stickied answers, and will spend just as much time looking them up as you did answering the questions.

Or will just say "Read the stickies", and get accused of being a jerk. :sunny:

flag4
02-28-13, 01:01 PM
it won't end the endless questions.
Or will just say "Read the stickies", and get accused of being a jerk. :sunny:

spot on!

Feuer Frei!
02-28-13, 06:25 PM
I do have one warning though: While it may be a great boon to everyone here, it won't end the endless questions. You will still get the same questions over and over again. True enough, every forum faces that. However, is that an excuse to not at least look at updating or keeping a more relevant and up-to-date go-to area for those of us who do read stickies first? I think we need to show a bit more faith in humanity Steve :O: Not having a go at you of course. The only difference there is that instead of answering them you will end up posting links to the stickied answers, and will spend just as much time looking them up as you did answering the questions.From my point of view i think that would be wrong, if there were stickies that were relevant and updated and apt for what's going on now, rather than posts that were made months ago in a sticky, then it wouldn't take much time at all to find the appropriate info quickly and without much fuss. I find myself often trawling through pages upon pages of useless (to me, please don't anyone take offense to that) posts in a thread which the title tells me is what i'm after but the content is rather not relevant. Then, on page 89 there is 1 post which actually answers my query. Hence updating or having more relevant info at one's disposal would be nice.
I know this is a big job.
Or will just say "Read the stickies", and get accused of being a jerk. :sunny:Well, so be it, i guess either we update stickies or we go on the notion that everytime we link someone to somewhere we get paranoid and think that person is going to berate us.
I have faith, and i've been on these forums for a while now and the sense that i get is quiete the opposite, i see members posting(98% of the time) with maturity and respectful questions and answers.

Why don't we members vote or something? Firstly a vote to see what needs updating, and voting on if this is needed? Put it to the members, ask them what they would like to see, obviously Neal is the Boss and what he says goes, but i don't see there being any problem from his end.
Just a thought.
I'm sure you will read my replies with neutrality Steve, not as a personal attack. :salute:

To the community: I'd be more than happy to outline in brief what sort of stickies, in my view and experience in reading other's newly-created threads or myself seeking answers to topics might be useful or pertinant to now.

Gargamel
03-01-13, 10:29 PM
At least if we build this manual from already existing threads, we can just easily link the thread, act like a jerk while still helping.

Sailor Steve
03-01-13, 11:29 PM
Neil is the Boss.
I'm sure Neal would like to meet this Neil guy and find out who is the boss. :O:

Seriously, if someone did take the time to put together such a thread and maintain it, there might be support from higher up if it was to be shown to be properly kept up. At least I would hope so.

Feuer Frei!
03-02-13, 12:06 AM
I'm sure Neal would like to meet this Neil guy and find out who is the boss. :O:
Fixed. For Neal's sake :03:

Seriously, if someone did take the time to put together such a thread and maintain it, there might be support from higher up if it was to be shown to be properly kept up. At least I would hope so.
Yep, would be a lot of work, checking stickies daily, updating links etc. I think Silent Hunter 3 and SH3 Mods forums are the ones that are really in need of an overhaul. Mainly due to the fact that a lot of modders have moved on to SH4 and SH5. Can't blame them of course.

Red October1984
03-02-13, 12:32 AM
I agree with this...

The SH3 Stickies need to be updated again... :hmm2:

jimmyjam25
03-02-13, 12:58 AM
Great idea! :)

Hitman
03-08-13, 11:40 AM
We have had in the past people who offered to organize stickies into one or several threads with links and then left the job uncompleted or dissapeared without even starting it. This is not an accusation or a moan, it's a fact.

But as soon as someone opens a thread with the job done, I'll gladly stick it instead of the stickies that currently are on top of the page. :sunny:

Feuer Frei!
03-08-13, 05:54 PM
But as soon as someone opens a thread with the job done, I'll gladly stick it instead of the stickies that currently are on top of the page. :sunny:
Can i make a suggestion? If there is already guides for sh3 modding and tweaking could we have a sticky for links to guides?
Does Subsim condone or encourage links to other sites? Is this acceptable?
For eg:

http://forum.kickinbak.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=1233

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/69028/all/SH3_Essentials_Tips_Tweaks_Mod.html

And maybe a link to online reference material, historical and accurate sites for people to read up about, eg:

http://www.uboat.net/

http://www.uboatarchive.net/

Just some suggestions. :salute: