PDA

View Full Version : About time to send this petition off to Ubisoft for the SDK?

machiavelli
02-27-13, 03:08 PM
About time to send this petition off to Ubisoft for the SDK?

I'd like to be living when this happens. Seriously, life is too short and I'm bound to get cancer.

Let's move this along please.

Sailor Steve
02-27-13, 05:59 PM
Go ahead and copy every post and send it yourself. Do not do so in the name of Subsim, however. That thread was started by one person, not the website or its owner, and though it is a sticky I think you'll find that it's not officially sanctioned. If you go to that trouble you'll probably find that Ubisoft has been aware of it all along, and doesn't care.

Hinrich Schwab
02-27-13, 06:01 PM
It won't happen. The last time anything came close was when Projekt Messerwetzer came out for SHII/DC, which was an authorized 3rd Party Patch. Ubisoft has made it abundantly clear that they will not cooperate with Subsim in any way, let alone the sim community and its modders.

Sailor Steve
02-27-13, 06:09 PM
Ubisoft has made it abundantly clear that they will not cooperate with Subsim in any way
That's not true. It was Ubisoft, or at least their hired developers, who paid for Neal to fly to Germany for a first-hand look at SHO. You're right about the other part, though. Though SH3 has pretty much been left behind, they're very unlikely to give up that kind of access without being first given a whole lot of money first. Also, if you read through the thread you'll see that most of the major modders have already said that even if they were given the code now, so much time and effort has been spent working around it that no one really wants to start over from scratch, code or not.

Also, parts of that same code went into creating SH4 and SH5, so to give it up would also open those games, which might seem like a good idea to a gamer, but to the company would mean giving up some of their copyrighted material.

Bottom line: All the petitions in the world are unlikely to make a difference.

Madox58
02-27-13, 10:45 PM
Bottom line is: This petition is worth less then the cost of sending it to Ubi through the 'Net.

I'd not be surprised if they billed you for useing bandwidth to recieve it.
:D

HW3
02-27-13, 11:01 PM
The only way UBI would give up the SDK, is to sell it to another company. They will not just give it away to a group of individuals if they think there is any money to be had from it. The fact that someone wants it, tells them it is still worth some money to them, and let the bidding begin as far as they are concerned.

:subsim:

kethon
02-27-13, 11:40 PM
The only way is Reverse engineering the game,but it's illegal.

Jimbuna
02-28-13, 09:27 AM
That's not true. It was Ubisoft, or at least their hired developers, who paid for Neal to fly to Germany for a first-hand look at SHO. You're right about the other part, though. Though SH3 has pretty much been left behind, they're very unlikely to give up that kind of access without being first given a whole lot of money first. Also, if you read through the thread you'll see that most of the major modders have already said that even if they were given the code now, so much time and effort has been spent working around it that no one really wants to start over from scratch, code or not.

Also, parts of that same code went into creating SH4 and SH5, so to give it up would also open those games, which might seem like a good idea to a gamer, but to the company would mean giving up some of their copyrighted material.

Rgr that :yep:

RConch
02-28-13, 10:58 AM
Why don't we just remove the "sticky" and move on. I don't get why it is still up. All the reasons given by others explains why it won't happen.:Kaleun_Los:

Sailor Steve
02-28-13, 11:04 AM
The person who originally stickied it is no longer an active moderator. There are two for this particular forum, and only they can "un-sticky" it.

RConch
02-28-13, 01:19 PM
That didn't work out so well.:nope:

CaptainCruise
02-28-13, 05:39 PM
That didn't work out so well.:nope:

Try to look at the bright side of all this. We have a game that when released by UBI was a absolute train wreck, yet through the hard work by members of this website "family" they managed to reshape Silent Hunter III into something that is not only 250% better than it was when released, but enhanced with so many different modifications it almost feels like a new game every time you play. How many communities out there can make that same claim with little or no help from the game designers.

WAIT!! THERE'S MORE!! :o :D

Did we stop there? Nope. When SH4 and SH5 were released a few years later in similar "train wreck" condition, our community got together again and went to work fixing the problems and developing all new mods for THOSE games. So, what have we got to show for all that hard work? We have 3 pretty solid games, modded to the max, that we can enjoy and be proud of for years to come. Think of the profits UBI might have scored if they came HALF as close as this community did with these games. That's something each and every one of us can be proud of as a member of this family. I say family a lot because that's what I see. I see people from different backgrounds seperated by thousands of miles...who have forged solid friendships over many years. We came together and made our community better, and God willing we'll always have that.

All of that for couple af games....sheesh, can I rant or what?!?! :rock:

Seriously...don't sweat the lack of help or interest from UBI. We've managed to do OK on our own, and we'll continue to do so, as long as we have each other and our "family".

Thanks, mah friends!!
Tom "CC"
:subsim:

RConch
03-01-13, 06:10 AM
Nice rant there.:D
The only thing I was refering to was giving the Mods "unremovable stickies power".

Takeda Shingen
03-01-13, 09:51 AM
Nice rant there.:D
The only thing I was refering to was giving the Mods "unremovable stickies power".

We don't have "unremovable stickes powers". The individuals listed as moderator for this individual forum can remove the sticky. My suggestion to is to that you contact one of them directly and discuss it with him, as this will get you further than talking about it here.

RConch
03-01-13, 10:38 AM
Don't get your pink panties in a twist-I couldn't care less-just made a suggestion matey.:D

Takeda Shingen
03-01-13, 10:46 AM
Don't get your pink panties in a twist-I couldn't care less-just made a suggestion matey.:D

I was trying to help you. Your aggression over the past few posts tells me that it may have been a waste of time.

Madox58
03-03-13, 01:27 AM
Well, I see the 'Request' thread as a testiment of sorts.
:salute:

Seeadler
03-03-13, 07:20 AM
Also, parts of that same code went into creating SH4 and SH5, so to give it up would also open those games...
And not only these games!
Ubisoft Romania developed its own 3D game engine, which was used not only for Silent Hunter 3-5 but also with their other games such as Chessmaster X, HAWX 1 +2 and maybe others. So if there is a SDK for this game engine, I bet there is only one SDK (or a set of dev tools) for all of this games at once ...a special SH3 standalone SDK which can be distributed to the community don't exist.

RConch
03-03-13, 08:55 AM
I contacted the gentleman and here is his response:
Could you please remove the "sticky" dealing with the petition dealing with UBI. The are never going to do it and we could you the space for other stickies. Apparently only you can do it.

Thank you and good hunting![/QUOTE]

I am sorry, I have no administrative rights in this forum, therefore I am not able to make this thread unsticky.

Gute Jagd und Fette Beute

Sailor Steve
03-03-13, 11:46 AM
What "gentleman" did you contact? If it was the one who started the thread, he's right. It was a forum moderator who stickied in the first place, and only another forum moderator can unsticky it.

RConch
03-03-13, 01:21 PM
Like the other mod said to do, I contacted the guy that made it a sticky. If the item won't be released by UBI then lets lose that sticky and put something else up. That was my original point Steve.

Jimbuna
03-03-13, 01:54 PM
There are only three people able to 'unsticky' the thread...Neal, John Channing and Hitman.

I would suggest you PM all three and ask them to consider what action if any will be decided on.

Sailor Steve
03-03-13, 03:39 PM
Like the other mod said to do, I contacted the guy that made it a sticky. If the item won't be released by UBI then lets lose that sticky and put something else up. That was my original point Steve.
Sorry, I wasn't sure. As I said earlier, the guy who made it a sticky is no longer a moderator. Jim has the correct answer immediately above. :sunny:

Red October1984
03-03-13, 04:20 PM
Well this seemed like 2 pages of pointless arguing... :hmmm:

I'm just gonna stand here and watch...

Jimbuna
03-03-13, 05:13 PM
Sorry, I wasn't sure. As I said earlier, the guy who made it a sticky is no longer a moderator. Jim has the correct answer immediately above. :sunny:
One tries ones best :smug:

Hitman
03-04-13, 11:13 AM
All right, I unstickied and closed it. We know very well that UBI has been aware of the thread for a long time through the SH3 devs, but if anyone on his own behalf wants to print and send it to them, go ahead; just don't pretend it is in the name of subsim.com. We gladly hosted the thread for anyone to drop and ask for it, it is however not our idea or something we take part on.

Thxs