PDA

View Full Version : Sell stock in yourself, the future of crowd funding

the_tyrant
02-27-13, 09:23 AM
Trina Spear, 29, graduated in 2011 with an MBA from an elite school and a hefty $170,000 in student loans. The debt was the reason she took a job in private equity rather than start her own company. "For someone coming out of Harvard Business School, people think you have every opportunity in the world to do everything you want in life," she said. "[But] you really feel like you’re handcuffed and you have to go to the big corporate job."

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/26/4031938/new-crowdfunding-platforms-let-you-sell-stock-in-yourself

Very interesting idea and great read.

Also, slightly off topic, but this also shows the difference between the young people mentality between North America and Asia.

American youth thinks its "unfortunate" that they are "handcuffed" to a big corporate job. If they had the opportunity, they would rather join a startup or start their own startup (like what this person in the article did). They prefer to work at the "quirky little companies", and this is why even after many small businesses made it big, they still try to keep a more personal, friendly atmosphere (like Google).

Asian youth (especially in China, Korea and Japan) would love to jump on these big corporate jobs. university graduates in china are often ashamed when they say they "can only" find a job at a startup. They would rather work in a huge company, to gain connections, and to study under the masters. People all want to go into the big multinational companies like Microsoft, so that "the genius of Bill gates would rub off on me" so to speak.

fireftr18
02-27-13, 11:26 AM
I hate to disagree with you on your thought. I find that young people here try for the big corporate jobs for the same reasons as those in Asia. And the addition of income security. It's only those few, vocal ones that want to start in a small, new company.