PDA

View Full Version : AN71 bug?

mj3437
02-26-13, 03:45 PM
I just got a message that a heavy cruiser was sighted in AN71xx. After checking my map I find AN71 is landlocked in England:huh: Is this a known issue?
MJ

HW3
02-26-13, 09:44 PM
Being transported to the coast by a very large truck?:haha: Just kidding. Probably an error in your messages_en.txt file. What is the date of the message? I'll look it up and see. I seem to recall getting that message once but, I have 3 different installs of SH3, and I can't remember which one I got it in.:hmmm: My best guess is it should have been AM74xx, and it is probably an immersion message anyway.

:subsim:

mj3437
02-26-13, 11:23 PM
The message was sent sometime between Nov 12 1939 and Dec 2 1939. I was on my home to Wilhelmshaven. I have started a new mission. Is there a way to recover messages from previous missions.
Thanks
MJ

flakmonkey
02-27-13, 05:58 AM
Well in real life im currently sitting in AN71, looked out the window and i see no ships:up:

HW3
02-27-13, 10:25 AM
From the messages_en.txt file located in data/Campaigns/Campaign

19391128 1546 19391129 2200 0 100 20 @U-35@^BdU^|1939/11/28|Heavy cruiser sighted. AN7156

Now according to u-boat.net and the naval grid calculator, the correct grid should be somewhere very close to AN2341 where U-35 was sunk on 1939/11/29 by British destroyers, all the crew survived.

HW3
02-27-13, 12:35 PM
Some further information on U-35's second and last war patrol.

Second War Patrol
18 November 1939 - 29 November 1939.
U-35 left Wilhelmshaven for operations against British naval forces near the Orkneys. After a few days U-35 moved north from the Pentland Firth to Fair Isle Passage.
Patrolling on the surface in huge seas on 28 November sixty miles east of Shetland Islands, U-35 saw the heavy cruiser HMS NORFOLK and broke radio silence to report her. Twelve miles northeast, U 47 (Günther Prien) picked up the message and plotted a course to intercept. (U-47 fired one torpedo at HMS Norfolk on 28 November at 1334 hours. The torpedo exploded in Norfolk's wake but, Prien thought he had hit her. He lost her in a rain squall and assumed she had sunk. The attack took place in grid AN2250.)
At dawn on 29 November 1939, U-35 was cruising on the surface east of the Shetland Islands, 60.53N X 02.47E in the North Sea. The British Destroyer HMS ICARUS (Lt Cdr C D Maud) saw U-35 and turned to attack. U-35's sighting of HMS ICARUS was nearly simultaneous. U-35 crash-dived and went deep - to 229 feet - and steered evasive courses. As the Asdic on HMS ICARUS was not functioning, depth charges set for 250 feet were dropped in order to feign an attack. Two other destroyers, HMS KINGSTON (Lt Cdr P Somerville) and HMS KASHMIR (Lt Cdr H A King), responded to HMS ICARUS's alert; all were under the direction of Captain Lord Louis Mountbatten (http://www.u-35.com/mountbatten/) aboard the HMS KELLY. Directed by HMS ICARUS to the likely spot, HMS KINGSTON was able to establish ASDIC contact and made two depth-charge attacks, which jammed the diving planes of U-35 and put her at a sharp up angle. In an attempt to bring the bow down and regain control of the boat, all available men were rushed to the forward torpedo room. U-35 was put on full speed, but in vain. The depth charges had also ruptured fuel and ballast tanks aft and no amount of weight forward could level the boat. U-35 was suddenly on the surface, and the crew was ordered to abandon ship into the terribly cold water. HMS KASHMIR fired a warning shot above U-35.
HMS KASHMIR fished several officers and twenty-seven men from the icy water. HMS KINGSTON picked up Kptlt. Werner Lott (http://www.u-35.com/crew/lott.htm) and eleven others. The entire crew of 43 survived.
On board HMS KINGSTON, Kptlt. Werner Lott (http://www.u-35.com/crew/lott.htm) entered the following note in the wardroom visitor's book: "Wishing you the best of luck except against German U-Boats"

An examination of documentation found on the survivors, in particular a diary kept by a stoker which listed battery levels throughout the night of 28/29 November, led the British to conclude that U-35 was about to enter Scapa Flow or Sullom Voe since otherwise she would not have spent the night dived.