PDA

View Full Version : GWX Question

ubelong2matt
02-25-13, 03:57 PM
First post here. I wanted to say "hello" and ask a question of you folks. I recently purchased, through Steam, Silent Hunter III. I'm very impressed with it and started watching videos. I found a guy, who made a "Lets Play Silent Hunter 3" on Youtube, where he, Frontier359 (or something), showcases his experience with the game. He runs quite a few mods and I am attempting to run similar, to get the same look and feel as he has. It looks very nice.

I noticed that GWX removes the crosshair and degrees from the binoculars. That I can deal with. However, I can't see my sub on the map. I was wondering if there was a way to add that back. I noticed in the Youtube videos that he has GWX and both of those things. Those videos are, however, a couple years old now so I suspect that GWX, back then, had the sub information on the map but has since removed it.

I was just curious if there was a toggle-able option for seeing your sub on the map without having to show all contacts on the map (I still want to have to figure out where a contact is going). Thanks in advance and I apologize if I overlooked something somewhere. I went through the GWX manual and found where the crosshair for the binoculars was removed in the change log but nothing about the sub on the map.

Later,
Matt

P.S. I'm really enjoying this game and this site. Thanks for having it!

Jimbuna
02-25-13, 04:56 PM
Welcome to SubSim and GWX Matt....I presume you mean the location of your U-boat on the screen (the Umark) rather than the map. If this is the case then download the Umark file from here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?ezdgd3x6pm1swme

u crank
02-25-13, 05:26 PM
Welcome to SubSim Matt. :salute:

Sailor Steve
02-25-13, 05:28 PM
Those videos are, however, a couple years old now so I suspect that GWX, back then, had the sub information on the map but has since removed it.
The current version of GWX is six years old now. Nothing new has been added since December 2006. Well, there have been several private updates and add-ons, but the mod itself is unchanged.

I can see my location on the map just fine. What other mods are you using?

ubelong2matt
02-25-13, 09:01 PM
@Jimbuna - Thanks for the welcome, and the file. I appreciate it!

@u crank - Thanks, also, for the welcome! I'm really diggin' this game and the information I'm learning.

@Sailor Steve - I didn't know that about the age. Yeah, Frontier359 created his LP back in 2011 so I suppose he was using the same version I am. I have taken a screen shot of JSGME list of mods and uploaded it. You can see it at:

http://matt-desktop.bounceme.net/sh3/current_mods.png

Or

http://i.imgur.com/V5WOUSA.png

@all - I live near Chicago so I've seen their U-Boat exhibit (may still be there) at the Museum of Science and Industry. I've always been interested in them. Seeing inside one was a fantastic experience. Understanding and participating in their history, through SH3, is exciting and cool.

HW3
02-25-13, 11:12 PM
Welcome to SubSim Matt!

U-Boat exhibit (may still be there) at the Museum of Science and Industry

It is still there, and is now indoors http://www.msichicago.org/whats-here/exhibits/u-505/

:subsim:

ubelong2matt
02-26-13, 01:20 AM
Thanks, HW3. I figured it was still there seeing as how they went through a TON of effort getting it into it's current resting place. Playing this game + seeing that exhibit gives me chills to think about what these captains went through.

Ubisoft did a great job modeling the U-Boat and this mod community has done nothing but improve on that, pushing the limits of the game. I'm super appreciative of the efforts of all mod-creators and what they've done to make this game even better than I could have imagined!

Pisces
02-26-13, 07:39 PM
I think the Uboat icon on the map was purpousefully disabled in OLC's gui. I'm sure there are descriptions in one of his threads on how to get it back. But as a quick fix you can leave a waypoint on the map, and set a different course to ignore it. Then the end of the line points to someone very close to you. ;)

And if you control left-click somewhere then your uboat gets panned to under your mouse cursor.