PDA

View Full Version : approximate range of the hydrophones?

jscharpf
02-24-13, 09:55 AM
Hello all!
I'm using GWX with the 16K visible option, 100% realism, currently hunting down a lone merchant in the North sea (IIA, Sep 1939).
I have yet to make visual contact, however, I have been tracking him with my hydrophones for the last several hours. He appears to be heading west south west.
My question is, how far out will I still detect him? He was very quiet in the beginning, then Igot closer, now he's fading again. I sort of know the general direction, but when I plot a sound direction I'm guessing.
Just wondering what the farthest out he could be and I still hear a faint noise.

Loving this game and the GWX mod, by the way. Great job to all of you modders and thanks for creating, what for me, is a brand new sim game, the quality which I cannot find in any game anymore.

Jeff

Pisces
02-24-13, 10:18 AM
Detection starts at 34-ish km when you listen yourself. Crew only detects it until about 20 km.

In SH4 I noticed the sound stays until it extended range to about 40km. I don't know it SH3 does this also.

HW3
02-24-13, 10:27 AM
About 30km is the limit for humans to hear, 22-24km max for the hydrophone operator, depending on his experience level.

:subsim:

jscharpf
02-24-13, 12:20 PM
Excellent! Thanks!