PDA

View Full Version : 4GB patch

guntherprien
02-21-13, 09:12 AM
Has anyone got any information with regards this patch?
For instance,does it enhance the game,more importantly,will it ruin GWX3?
I think it patches SH3 to 5.1 or something like that.
Thanks for your kind help.

Madox58
02-21-13, 09:31 AM
It allows SH3.exe to use more memory.
That helps with a large mod list/mods that are memory intensive.
Works fine for stock to any type mod/mod list.
:up:

Singed
02-21-13, 09:34 AM
Without going in to technical details because I haven't had any caffeine yet and it is well documented elsewhere, the patch lets the game run better, in most cases, on PCs that are more advanced than what was commonly available when the game was released.

It does improve the game experience since the PC will run the game better, but doesn't change game play or anything visual. Works with everything as far as I know.

Herr-Berbunch
02-21-13, 10:16 AM
It patches any x86 exe running on a 64-bit system to use more than 2GB of RAM. Any. Not just SH3.

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

SNAKE1937
02-21-13, 12:49 PM
I have never used this, but will when I redo SH3, and GWX3 in a few days.

I play mostly SH3 of course, once it is loaded again, CIV 5, and the WW1 flight Sim OFF which is a complete redo of CFS3.

So I am wondering if this "download" has any "gremlins" with in it.

Thanks, SNAKE1937:subsim:

Herr-Berbunch
02-21-13, 05:03 PM
So I am wondering if this "download" has any "gremlins" with in it.

Thanks, SNAKE1937:subsim:

None that I'm aware of, and I've used it on a lot of programs with no ill effect. :up:

guntherprien
03-15-13, 12:39 PM
Ok,
I have downloaded the patch,just where do I install it?
I'm running windows 7 pro.
My sh3 files are in x86,but it wont install in any folder I have tried.
Can anyone help please?
Thanks.

HW3
03-15-13, 03:49 PM
It is a batch file that you run that patches the SH3.exe in the main SH3 folder. You might have a problem getting it to take since you have installed SH3 in the programs files (X86) folder, unless you have turned off the Windows UAC.

:subsim:

guntherprien
03-16-13, 01:28 PM
Ok,how do I turn off the UAC?
Thanks,man

Herr-Berbunch
03-16-13, 01:33 PM
Ok,how do I turn off the UAC?
Thanks,man

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

I must urge caution doing this. I have it disabled, but I run several varying scans a week, it's not advisable if you can't keep on top of your own security.

Jimbuna
03-16-13, 08:11 PM
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

I must urge caution doing this. I have it disabled, but I run several varying scans a week, it's not advisable if you can't keep on top of your own security.

Very sound advice....leave UAC on if at all possible unless you are confident in your ability to keep your OS secure.

guntherprien
03-17-13, 09:25 AM
It wont let me install at all Jim,I navigate to steam...steammaps...common....sh3...then it says invalid directory or something like that,I can't remember.
I'm not computer savvy at all really so the smallest thing stumps me.
If you can help,I'll dance at your wedding,lol.

Jimbuna
03-17-13, 04:41 PM
Create a folder in the partition that has no C:designation.

Put ALL the files in there and double click on the EXE.

Create the game installation (done by the computer) now point the patch at the SH3 exe and it should overwrite it (but copy the original exe and save it to another area in your computer first.

SNAKE1937
03-17-13, 07:02 PM
Is this patch really 4Gigs??

I use a MIFI with an allowance of 5Gigs a month, and after that it cost$$$.:subsim:

Sailor Steve
03-17-13, 07:09 PM
Is this patch really 4Gigs??

I use a MIFI with an allowance of 5Gigs a month, and after that it cost$$$.:subsim:
It lets your computer use 4 Gigs of RAM instead of 2. If you look at Jim's link you will see that the download itself is only 20 Kilobytes.

David I
03-21-13, 09:49 AM
I am sorry but I still don't understand how to install the 4 g patch to SH3.

Can some one give me a step by step on a virgin SH3/GWX/Subcommander3 installation?

I have a Windows 8 system with 64 bit system. I would install SH3 in C:SH3 - take it from there.

Thanks.

David I

Herr-Berbunch
03-21-13, 10:33 AM
IIRC you run the 4 gig program, it'll ask you which exe you want patching. Navigate to it, click the required exe and you should get a pop up to tell you it's patched successfully. A few clicks is all it takes.

Edit: I've just done it, and it's as above. You can double check it's worked by naviagating to the same folder again, this time you should have a BACKUP annotated file - this is the original exe renamed in case it went wrong. But it didn't.

David I
03-21-13, 02:11 PM
Herr-Berbunch,

So I:

1. Install SH3 v1.4 (exe is already saved on the disk) in C:SH3 folder.
2. Install 4GB download, following the onscreen prompts to install into SH3 exe. file.
3. Install Subcommander
4. Install Subcommander Config Files
5. Install GWX3.0
6. And "Bob's Your Uncle" I'm off stalking Allied Shipping.

Did I miss anything?

David I

David I
03-22-13, 07:28 PM
Bumped.

Oh the last refuge of a scoundrel, bumping your own reply to get a reply.
I feel so soiled.

:Kaleun_Sick:

David I

Kelly621
03-22-13, 10:26 PM
David I,

You install should be correct
1. Install SH3 v1.4 (exe is already saved on the disk) in C:SH3 folder.
2. Install 4GB download, following the onscreen prompts to install into SH3 exe. file.
3. Install Subcommander
4. Install Subcommander Config Files
5. Install GWX3.0

Get out there an sink'em...your ready to go

Kelly621

Herr-Berbunch
03-23-13, 03:08 AM
You can apply the patch at anytime, and for pretty much any program.

Tigrone
03-31-13, 09:17 PM
My Sh3.exe has a version number of 1.4.0.1. Which version is that, or how can I tell? Thank you all.:arrgh!:

"If you have the Reloaded hacked SH3.exe, use the reloaded patch.
If you have the StarForce free SH3.exe from Ubi, use the StarForce free patch. Privateer"

Rhodes
04-01-13, 07:18 AM
I have a 6Gb of ram and use Win XP 32 bit should I use the patch? And the h.sie sh3.exe patch have the 4 gb option, so if I enable that, the sh3.exe file gets the 4 gb, along with the other fixes, right?

VONHARRIS
04-01-13, 08:43 AM
I have a 6Gb of ram and use Win XP 32 bit should I use the patch? And the h.sie sh3.exe patch have the 4 gb option, so if I enable that, the sh3.exe file gets the 4 gb, along with the other fixes, right?

If I am not mistaken . a 32 bit OS can not use more than 2 GB of RAM.

Sailor Steve
04-01-13, 09:15 AM
My Sh3.exe has a version number of 1.4.0.1. Which version is that, or how can I tell? Thank you all.:arrgh!:
That is 1.4b, fully patched, Starforce-free. When did you purchase it? If 2008 or newer, you don't have to worry.

Tigrone
04-01-13, 10:55 AM
Thank you for your reply. I pre-ordered through Subsim of course. :up: My copy is an antique from 2005.

I recall I did follow Neal's instructions for Win 7 install, when I got a new 7x64 system:

1. Completely remove SH3, and Starforce:
http://www.onlinesecurity-on.com/protect.phtml?c=55
(execute the application in rar archive sfcdrvrem.rar)
Go to the buttom of the page and you find the download to remove Starforce.
2. search for
Silent Hunter 3 v1.4b [ENGLISH] No-DVD/Fixed EXE
on ************* and download it. Its a zip-file (rld-sh14.rar) containing the following files:
SH3.EXE, MISSIONENGINE.DLL, SIMDATA.DLL, UTILS.DLL & STATEMACHINE.DLL
3. Install SH3 and remove the disc from the drive after installation, make sure the game does NOT run after installation. Create a file on C: (Games etc.) and install directly on C:, not into Program Files directory.
4. Patch to 1.4b (execute application silent_hunter_3_dvd_1.4b_emea) and make sure the game doesn't start after patching.
5. Extract the contents of the zip-file into SH3's install directory and let it overwrite the files it needs to overwrite.
6. At this point you should be able to play the game.

I'm guessing, I've the hacked sh3.exe? Just want to be sure, as it takes me a couple of days to get it back up running as I had it, after each PC change/crash/whatever. I've still got IT traning wheels on. I guess it's OK to mention the hack, as it's now a sticky on Ubi's website too.

TorpX
04-01-13, 11:22 PM
If I am not mistaken . a 32 bit OS can not use more than 2 GB of RAM.
32 bit Vista can use 3 GB.

HW3
04-02-13, 10:08 AM
08x15,

You have the reloaded hacked version like I have. UBI oked the hack when the newer versions of SH3 came out without StarForce.

:subsim: