PDA

View Full Version : Now Anybody Can Be a Sniper

Feuer Frei!
02-16-13, 09:11 PM
Check out this video from Tracking Point about “the world’s first precision guided firearm”:

http://www.military.com/video/guns/rifles/tracking-point-precision-guided-firearm/2144415065001/

So basically, once the shooter designates the target, all he or she has to do is walk the sight around until it matches a solution for what’s designated and then it’s bullet away!

Source:
http://defensetech.org/2013/02/08/now-anybody-can-be-a-sniper/

Wolferz
02-16-13, 09:48 PM
Taking the sport out of Sportsman.:-?:rock:

Jimbuna
02-17-13, 06:19 AM
Far too easy...taking the skill out of sniping.

I want one :)

swamprat69er
02-17-13, 08:02 AM
Would be great for Moose hunting.

Platapus
02-17-13, 12:54 PM
It has been many many years since I last hunted, but some of those people in the video seemed too happy at what appeared to be sloppy hits.

NeonSamurai
02-17-13, 12:54 PM
Ya, saw this being demoed on websites... Give the animal no chance at all why don't you. But then I have always had issues with hunting in general, mostly over the practice of people trying to kill the best of the species when they hunt (which is very bad for a species' genetics). Now lets throw in technology so even the idiots can hardly miss.

swamprat69er
02-17-13, 01:03 PM
If the hunter is going to use (read eat and use the hide) (or at least give the hide to the natives) then I have no problem with hunting. I detest the hunters that kill the animal, then take the head for a trophy and leave the rest to rot. I have seen this many times around Ignace, Ontario.

Platapus
02-17-13, 01:24 PM
So with this tool a "hunter" can just sit in a comfortable seat, with his "beverage of choice", and simply wait until an animal wanders within 1,000 yards.

I think there would be more sport in simply braving the traffic and buying the meat at the grocery store. :nope:

Heyyyyy. You don't think this company would intend this to be used for hunting something other than game animals would you? :o

Nah, who would be interested in technology allowing untrained people to shoot people at very long distances? That would be wrong. :yep:

Sailor Steve
02-17-13, 01:30 PM
Ya, saw this being demoed on websites... Give the animal no chance at all why don't you. But then I have always had issues with hunting in general, mostly over the practice of people trying to kill the best of the species when they hunt (which is very bad for a species' genetics). Now lets throw in technology so even the idiots can hardly miss.
I went hunting a couple of times. At some point I made the proposal that all hunting for sport should be limited to a knife. No ranged weapons at all. That would make it a real sport. :sunny:

nikimcbee
02-17-13, 01:40 PM
Far too easy...taking the skill out of sniping.

I want one :)

You get a brown bess.:up:

Platapus
02-17-13, 02:04 PM
I went hunting a couple of times. At some point I made the proposal that all hunting for sport should be limited to a knife. No ranged weapons at all. That would make it a real sport. :sunny:

I think the last thing a hunter wants is anything close to a fair fight. :yep:

I wonder how soon hunting drones will be commercially available?

Madox58
02-17-13, 04:39 PM
I can understand lobbing a round out 1000 - 1200 yards with this system on a nice, calm day.

But does it handle the windage factor from the breeze?
:hmmm:

That trashes a kill shot more then anything at those distances.

I'd like to find more information on what this system is capable of before I could say anyone can be a Sniper.
Hate to think I wasted alot of time in training.

Jimbuna
02-17-13, 05:50 PM
You get a brown bess.:up:

Depends on what I'm hunting...if it's something that bites I want a weapon with a better range than 50-100 yards :huh:

nikimcbee
02-17-13, 06:11 PM
Depends on what I'm hunting...if it's something that bites I want a weapon with a better range than 50-100 yards :huh:

That's why you have a bayonet:yeah:.

Madox58
02-17-13, 06:20 PM
Long range shots have a place in some areas such as the wide open areas of the middle east.

In a less open area? It most likely would not be the best way to handle approaching forces.

Drop one target and the rest go under cover and become very cautious in the approach.

Better to allow them to approach and catch them at under 400 meters where your more apt to take multipule targets down before they can react.

This is of course based on what I think would happen in my area in a survival situation.
:hmm2:

Jimbuna
02-17-13, 06:57 PM
That's why you have a bayonet:yeah:.

A pair of running shoes would be far more appropriate :)

swamprat69er
02-17-13, 07:01 PM
A pair of running shoes would be far more appropriate :)

Bayonet and running shoes will do you no good when that black bear is charging at you. A peed off Moose will charge, too. I would rather put a bullet into either one of them and get it over with, quickly.

Nippelspanner
02-18-13, 01:19 PM
It has been many many years since I last hunted, but some of those people in the video seemed too happy at what appeared to be sloppy hits.

My thoughts as well.
More so, their video made me wanna puke. From a technical perspective, this system is interesting. But of course they had to test it day after day on live targets. For what?

The 'pling' from a metal plate 1200 yards away would have satisfied me more than enough.

That is not "hunting", that is disgusting.
And I seriously wonder what happened to the dropped animals...

To me, that looked like kill for fun, nothing else.

Sniper297
02-19-13, 02:04 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/44309_479767482086535_1074171354_n.jpg

:har:

TLAM Strike
02-19-13, 02:25 PM
Everyone a sniper? Probably not.

I'm more interested in what this means to the everyday rifleman. This might be something to enhance the capabilities of the designated marksman in a squad, and to allow the designating of targets by the squad leader for every trooper in the unit.

It might work up in to the higher echelons as well allowing troops on the ground to point their weapons at something, scroll a thumb wheel to a setting and call in arty support or an airstrike.

Sailor Steve
02-19-13, 03:41 PM
Yikes! I like the old "outrun the bear" joke, but that's downright mean.

On the other hand, the legendary Jeff Cooper, founder of the Gunsight Academy, was reputed to have been involved in one of the endless .45 vs 9mm arguments prevalent among pistol shooters. Cooper is said to have ended the argument by saying "Of course, a .22 in your pocket is always better than a .45 at home in the drawer."

Armistead
02-19-13, 04:26 PM
My fav sign was one that said.. "Don't run from the alligators, they will catch you." I looked at my wife and said, "they may catch you, but not me."

If somethings gonna eat me, gonna have to at least work for it...

Hunting is a great sport, many around here hunt for their food. Care what you say about hunting, no more cowardly than keeping a bunch of fenced in cattle, then mass killing them....

Jimbuna
02-19-13, 04:31 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/44309_479767482086535_1074171354_n.jpg

LOL :)