PDA

View Full Version : A woman dies from coke!

eddie
02-13-13, 04:53 PM
Probably not a hot news item, except this coke induced death isn't from an illegal drug, its from Coca-Cola!! She drank 2 gallons of coke a day!!:doh:

I'm not sure how her stomach could handle that everyday!

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/50796346/ns/health-health_care/

Dowly
02-13-13, 05:08 PM
Wonder what the spokesperson for CC has got to say about this.

Paging Raptor1!

Madox58
02-13-13, 05:37 PM
We have several Guys that work for us that drink 12 or more 16 ounce bottles of 'Dew everyday! On top of coffees and Monsters!!
:o

They do move pretty quick but none have dropped dead yet.

Cybermat47
02-13-13, 07:14 PM
Yet another excuse for me not to drink that stuff! :yeah:

Madox58
02-13-13, 07:18 PM
Guzzle down water in great amounts and guess what could happen?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Platapus
02-13-13, 07:25 PM
2 gallons a day and regular coke too. Blach!

I thought I was bad back when I was a govie I used to kill a 2 litre bottle of diet coke per 10 hour day.

Raptor1
02-13-13, 09:29 PM

Paging Raptor1!

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4065/82545981.jpg

The New Zealand press is all about lies! All they tell is lies, lies and more lies! There is no danger from large amounts of Coca-Cola. None!

swamprat69er
02-13-13, 09:42 PM
I quit drinking CC when I quit drinking whiskey.
Now I only drink distilled water. Preferably distilled in Scotland.

TFatseas
02-13-13, 10:33 PM

Paging Raptor1!

"We at Coca-Cola are sad to announce today, that we have lost one our most valued customers."

:hmm2:

Meh, I don't feel any sympathy. Live by the Coke, die by the Coke.

Armistead
02-14-13, 12:56 AM
Guess my coke stock just went down...

Wolferz
02-14-13, 05:04 AM
They failed to mention the pound of Cocaine she was putting in her drink.
She wanted the original formula Coke.:huh:

Jimbuna
02-14-13, 06:28 AM
I'm taking a two litre bottle with me to work this afternoon but it is a 24 1/2 hour shift and I will return home with approx a third of the bottle contents intact.

Mork_417
02-14-13, 07:16 AM
That's why i drink Pepsi. :haha:

AVGWarhawk
02-14-13, 08:50 AM

Paging Raptor1!

Burp!

I don't drink the stuff. Water for me.

August
02-14-13, 12:11 PM
Guzzle down water in great amounts and guess what could happen?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication

Exactly. Anything can kill a person if they consume enough of it.

Wolferz
02-14-13, 12:25 PM
Moderation in all things:smug:

August
02-14-13, 02:44 PM
Moderation in all things:smug:

:yep:

CaptainMattJ.
02-14-13, 08:04 PM
I'm more surprised she didn't die of dehydration. There have been many cases where the sugar content will cause severe dehydration when soda is consumed in outrageous amounts such as 2 gallons.

Hence why things like soda/hard liquor or energy drink/hard liquor will give you some of the worst hangovers, because it dehydrates you so severely. Most people dont drink water after they drink alot of alcohol, but if they did theyd have no hangover the next day. Hangovers are caused solely by dehydration. stay hydrated and save yourself the head splitting pain.

Reece
02-14-13, 10:03 PM
I'm taking a two litre bottle with me to work this afternoon but it is a 24 1/2 hour shift and I will return home with approx a third of the bottle contents intact.
Diet coke for you Jim!!:O:

fireftr18
02-14-13, 10:47 PM
I'm more surprised she didn't die of dehydration. There have been many cases where the sugar content will cause severe dehydration when soda is consumed in outrageous amounts such as 2 gallons.

Hence why things like soda/hard liquor or energy drink/hard liquor will give you some of the worst hangovers, because it dehydrates you so severely. Most people dont drink water after they drink alot of alcohol, but if they did theyd have no hangover the next day. Hangovers are caused solely by dehydration. stay hydrated and save yourself the head splitting pain.
That's not entirely accurate. There are many aspects to a hangover, dehydration just one of them. I don't want to hijack the thread so I won't go into it. If you wish, I will be happy to expand on it.

Stealhead
02-14-13, 11:18 PM
That's not entirely accurate. There are many aspects to a hangover, dehydration just one of them. I don't want to hijack the thread so I won't go into it. If you wish, I will be happy to expand on it.

No need to if you ask me. I know people that drink water while drinking booze and still get a splitting headache.The only 100% reliable way not to get hungover is not to consume too much alcohol.

CaptainMattJ.
02-14-13, 11:20 PM
Right, however with increased water consumption it is easier to dilute the effects of alcohol and is also easier to pass alcohol through the system.

The more immediate effects of a hangover usually don't hit until you're asleep, if you happen to wake up during the night you will feel pretty bad.

If you, for instance, pass out at 2 after a night of moderate to heavy drinking, the effects will take hold largely in that period of being passed out, such as the worst of the inflammation and digestive issues. the next morning tends to be the aftereffects as the alcohol wears off but the longer lasting effects such as dehydration still linger (For the average night, some really bad nights will cause some serious problems). though water is best taken while drinking or just after drinking, so the alcohol is diluted and the fluids help inhibit the negative effects on the body.

Though yes, water isnt some cure all. If you drink heavily youre still going to feel it. and it depends on the circumstance, but water does help. This is especially relevant when you vomit.

Wolferz
02-15-13, 08:38 AM
I once had a co-worker comment on my consumption of Coca Cola by saying;

" We did an experiment in chemistry class where we placed a nail in a container of Coke and it melted the nail in a short amount of time."

My reply was; "How long do you think that nail would last in stomach acid?"

Sailor Steve
02-15-13, 10:01 AM
I once had a co-worker comment on my consumption of Coca Cola by saying;

" We did an experiment in chemistry class where we placed a nail in a container of Coke and it melted the nail in a short amount of time."

My reply was; "How long do you think that nail would last in stomach acid?"
How long is "a short amount"? I think a nail might last months in a glass of coke, if not years.

I had a similar experience in high school. Someone told me that coke was so toxic that a piece of steak would dissolve in a matter of days. I pointed out that a piece of steak dissolved in your stomach in a matter hours, and the walls of your stomach lining lived with that acid for a whole lifetime.

[edit] Here's a home-grown 'mythbuster' who did his own experiment:
http://joshmadison.com/2003/12/14/will-coke-dissolve-a-nail-experiment/

[edit 2] And of course there's always Snopes, who came up with the startling conclusion that you shouldn't drink drain cleaners:
http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/tooth.asp

Wolferz
02-15-13, 12:58 PM
I don't recall how long he said it took to dissolve the nail, steve. Maybe a semester? six to eight weeks. I'd say that it would take half that to dissolve in stomach acid.

Jimbuna
02-15-13, 01:00 PM
Diet coke for you Jim!!:O:

Nope...can't stand the stuff :shifty:

Stealhead
02-15-13, 02:40 PM
Right, however with increased water consumption it is easier to dilute the effects of alcohol and is also easier to pass alcohol through the system.

The more immediate effects of a hangover usually don't hit until you're asleep, if you happen to wake up during the night you will feel pretty bad.

If you, for instance, pass out at 2 after a night of moderate to heavy drinking, the effects will take hold largely in that period of being passed out, such as the worst of the inflammation and digestive issues. the next morning tends to be the aftereffects as the alcohol wears off but the longer lasting effects such as dehydration still linger (For the average night, some really bad nights will cause some serious problems). though water is best taken while drinking or just after drinking, so the alcohol is diluted and the fluids help inhibit the negative effects on the body.

Though yes, water isnt some cure all. If you drink heavily youre still going to feel it. and it depends on the circumstance, but water does help. This is especially relevant when you vomit.

Simply drinking water is not going to dilute the alcohol that your body is going to have to contend with.

See I can disprove what you said from my own personal experience.I once spent a Saturday evening in Germany drinking quite heavily and not just beer mind you I was drinking beer and liquor.Over a roughly 12 hour period I did not drink a single drop of water I took a cab back to base and managed to get back to my room.(I do not recall anything after getting into the cab) I woke up on Sunday afternoon with my feet on the edge of my bed and the rest of my body on the floor and the door wind open.Despite all of these factors I did not have a headache and I have no doubt that my blood alcohol level was high not in blood poisoning range I'd never do that to myself but lets just had i blown into breathalyzer it would have been the topic of conversation at that police station the next day.

Other times I have consumed a small amount of alcohol and had a horrible headache.Red wine for example even a small amount of it and I will get a headache.No so with other wines and many beers and certain liquors.Dark beers tend to give me headaches but light colored ones typically do not.

A very important factor in at least the headache causing area of a hangover are the impurities(to your body) found in certain drinks (zinc,ethanol to name but a few).

Not every person that is dehydrated will have the symptom of a headache either.I witnessed many people suffer dehydration in the military but they did not exhibit the symptom of a headache.

A little know fact to many people is that in modern society thanks to the large number of consumable products that remove water from your body a person in a comfortable situation say in a cozy climate controlled office can actually be mildly dehydrated and not even realize it over time because a person like this always is at a state of near dehydration or even mild dehydration they do not realize the danger they are in unless they happened to suddenly find themselves in a situation where the environment itself is sucking the water from you like say Death Valley in July.

Long story short if a person is a heavy consumer of alcohol the exact cause of the hangover they suffer and the symptoms they suffer and what exactly caused them is going to vary greatly.