PDA

View Full Version : More immersion ideas

ninja turtle
02-13-13, 10:35 AM
Hi guys.

I've seen this on a lot of 'SH3 Let's Play', and also SH5. Particularly stoianm's LP's & Tutorials.

Can anyone steer me in the right direction to add sound to the gramophone in SH3 and also Speech Recognition mods (SH3 or 5)?

Does anyone have a particular Headphone/Mic. set-up they favour?

Thanks in advance

:)

Gustav Schiebert
02-13-13, 11:18 AM
Ninja Turtle,

I've downloaded 'German Hits of the 1930s' and usually have it playing in the background while I SHIII. The speakers have a nice 'tinny' quality which sounds realistic, and having it seperately means that it doesn't need to be controlled through the menu (I can just hit mute on the laptop, rather than clicking and ordering the sound man to shut it off when we go to Action Stations).

Speaker quality is a big thing for me - a friend just invested in an extra-big subwoofer and it's been highly recommended. Mine's in the post.

If you're after immersion there's nothing better than a commander's hat!

Karl Heinrich
02-14-13, 07:44 PM
Similarly, I use radio files, as near to the date as possible.

A good source, that I've posted in a separate thread recently is Joeri's radio files (http://www.joeri.net/radiofiles/), she has some outstanding stuff there. And as Gustav says, a tinny, lo-fi speaker for an MP3 player or similar is great - remember to turn it off when going silent though ;) I was the one that invested in the surround sound and sub-woofer and recommended it to Gustav. As SH3 doesn't support proper surround sound, I got hold of a pretty old one with a "matrix" system that converts 2 speaker output to surround sound - and it actually works really well.

Other things you can do is use real stop watches, maps and things like that can be good too. Recently I converted a set of 1930s headphones, as close as I could find to the Neufeldt & Kuhnke radio / hydrophone headset styles, so that they worked with the PC. So now I can sit at the hydrophones for hours on end, one ear uncovered so I can listen for orders, and sit whispering contact updates to an empty room... There's some that say you can take immersion too far. Obviously, those people are crazy.

The Almost N&K Headset
Here's the headset in question. It still needs a bit of a polish, just so it doesn't look too worn, these things would have been new in the 30s/40s after all... I also need to cover the wire with braided fabric (dark brown). The plan had been to use a hollow shoe lace, but need to readjust that slightly.

sublynx
02-15-13, 10:16 AM
You're cracking mad the lot of you :D Absolutely great! This forum is the only place on Planet Earth where people can share ideas like these and be understood :subsim:

VONHARRIS
02-15-13, 10:29 AM
Karl Heinrich,
You just took the game one more step ahead!
Well done.:up:

Gute Jadg Herr Kaleun

Sailor Steve
02-15-13, 10:49 AM
Here is an older thread that might help:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136528&highlight=immersion+realism

There used to be a thread with dozens of people saying what they did, but I can never find it these days.

ninja turtle
02-16-13, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the ideas, guys.

Other things you can do is use real stop watches, maps and things like that can be good too. Recently I converted a set of 1930s headphones, as close as I could find to the Neufeldt & Kuhnke radio / hydrophone headset styles, so that they worked with the PC. So now I can sit at the hydrophones for hours on end, one ear uncovered so I can listen for orders, and sit whispering contact updates to an empty room... There's some that say you can take immersion too far. Obviously, those people are crazy.
[B]

I've read posts about using real stopwatches but looking at the prices for authentic ones I thought I might have to give that a miss. Shame.

I remember when I played WW2 flight sims and contemplated wearing a flight hat, also playing Total War dressing up as whatever period I happen to be playing...crazy??? :Kaleun_Goofy:

ninja turtle
02-16-13, 03:34 AM
Here is an older thread that might help:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136528&highlight=immersion+realism

There used to be a thread with dozens of people saying what they did, but I can never find it these days.

Thanks for the link. I had a read through last night. Some interesting ideas. It seems that many players only use Time Compression up to 256 (although the thread was started in 2008 so whether there are different views by others I'm not sure). I personally have no qualms with using 512 or 1024 TC if I'm able.

Other opinions from that link: Never use WO assistance, Never use external views, Always use Obs Peri to scan before surfacing. I have to admit I always use external view but that's because I have GWX installed and have graphics to max so want to see all the eye-candy. I would do the same with SH5 if I had a better graphics card.

ninja turtle
02-16-13, 03:37 AM
You're cracking mad the lot of you :D Absolutely great! This forum is the only place on Planet Earth where people can share ideas like these and be understood :subsim:

:Kaleun_Goofy: :Kaleun_Smile: So true!!

ninja turtle
02-16-13, 03:37 AM
Karl Heinrich,
You just took the game one more step ahead!
Well done.:up:

Gute Jadg Herr Kaleun

:up:

ninja turtle
02-16-13, 03:41 AM
Ok guys.

Thread has gone on to a little tangent lol

What I was really after: any preferred sound mods to use the gramophone in game and voice recognition mods for SH3. Also whether those who use headphone/mic combo with a PC what make & model they would recommend.

Happy happy hunting!

:salute:

Pisces
02-16-13, 08:38 AM
The most common suggestions were to not change and wash your clothing for 4 weeks, keep a fan on full power pointed on your face, throwing a bucket of water in your face when you use binoculars on the conningtower. And play in your refrigerator when you are out in the higher north atlantic regions.

Another suggestion I just came up with might be lighting firecrackers and throwing them right behind your back while avoiding the destroyers in the game.

But those might not really be compatible with your authentic headpones.

ninja turtle
02-16-13, 08:59 AM
The most common suggestions were to not change and wash your clothing for 4 weeks, keep a fan on full power pointed on your face, throwing a bucket of water in your face when you use binoculars on the conningtower. And play in your refrigerator when you are out in the higher north atlantic regions.

Some very good ideas
:yeah:

Karl Heinrich
02-16-13, 09:51 AM
I think Pisces has been spying on me :P

In terms of affordable stopwatches, I wouldn't suggest getting an authentic one unless you win the lottery. Not only are many of those sold as authentic *not*, you can get many that are pretty close, inclduing Hanhart ones that made them in the period, for £10 to £40 if you shop around.

Sorry that was a bit off topic, as for sound mods and voice recognition, I know that Gustav has replaced his default sounds with those form the U-995 virtual tour DVD. Voice recognition, no idea, wouldn't want to use it for this personally. Although I can say when I used to do ATC simulation, I used the Microsoft Lifechat LX-3000 set and that worked just fine. Logitech's stuff is often pretty good too.

HW3
02-16-13, 09:56 AM
You might want to take a look at the Longer Repair Time, LRT for short, mod. It increases the time it takes for your repair team to fix any damage you have taken, so no more instant fixes. Much more realistic.

:subsim:

Sailor Steve
02-16-13, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the link. I had a read through last night. Some interesting ideas.
As I said, there was a thread where several people, myself included, went into great detail about their ideas for "realism", and I can't find it anymore. I have a very long list.

It seems that many players only use Time Compression up to 256 (although the thread was started in 2008 so whether there are different views by others I'm not sure). I personally have no qualms with using 512 or 1024 TC if I'm able.
The big thing about lower TC is that there is some evidence that at 512 or higher air contacts are reduced significantly. There have been arguments about it for a very long time. I have to admit that when I'm in the mid-Atlantic my TC use depends mainly on how bored I am at the moment, but when I'm close to enemy territory I won't go higher than 256 just because I feel like I'm cheating, using a game flaw to avoid air patrols.

But that's just me.

Other opinions from that link: Never use WO assistance...
Actually it's WE Assistance (WO is the Watch Officer, WE the Weapons Officer), and I use it all the time. My problem is that I'm terrible at math and manual TDC. Some argue that the WE is better, because the captain didn't do all the plotting himself. While this is true, all plots were based on the captain's observations, so that part should be manual. Also, the WE is perfect. Despite all that, I manage to miss quite a lot, and my scores are more in line with history than most.

I'm also a big fan of the Assisted Plotting Mod:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1402399&postcount=10

I have to admit I always use external view but that's because I have GWX installed and have graphics to max so want to see all the eye-candy. I would do the same with SH5 if I had a better graphics card.
And that's the best reason to use it. It's also the only way to get good screenshots. Some people go overboard and use it to avoid destroyers and find the best targets. I do that when I play certain single missions for practice. What makes me laugh is when people complain about the unrealistic sea floor or the propellers turning the wrong way. I always feel compelled to ask "So you're complaining about lack of realism in the things you see with external view?"

I use SH3 Commander to set the water clarity at '2'. This is because it's too easy to use the periscope to spot falling depth charges. When I do look at my sub from the outside I not only can't see it from half a mile away, I can't see past the conning tower when looking from the bow or stern.

Karl Heinrich
02-17-13, 07:00 PM
As I said, there was a thread where several people, myself included, went into great detail about their ideas for "realism", and I can't find it anymore. I have a very long list.

This would explain why I couldn't find any sign of it recently, that would make a great "stickied" thread if it's out there lurking in the aether. I suppose this could be the start of a replacement if not.