PDA

View Full Version : FINDING TARGET COURSE

muskie46
02-08-13, 01:28 PM
Somewhere I saw a tutorial on adding target bearing and sub course to get target course. I cannot seem to find it. Help!!!

Also, I printed the cards for the Cromwell and O'Kane attack method. I can't find that again either. I need to get my act together!!! To many long hours at subsim and sh4. lol

sharkbit
02-08-13, 01:57 PM
Try here for the cards:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showpost.php?p=1007637&postcount=204

There might be downloads for these as well. Look in the downloads section.

Adding target bearing and your course will not get the target's course. Target's AOB is the missing part of your equation.

If you have his AOB, then you can figure out his course based on your course and his bearing.

:)

sharkbit
02-08-13, 02:17 PM
I did actually find this formula while perusing the SH3 forum:

Target Br
+ Own course
---------------
If addition is > 180°, then, -180
If addition is < 180°, then, +180

+Port aob
-Starboard aob
----------------
Target True course

Simmy
02-08-13, 04:35 PM
Most of the confusion of mods is that the instructions are not clear.
That is they are as simple as some times, face east.
The next time it seems you must be a member of some sercet group
to get the gist of what is going on.
I would refer you to Easy AoB mod.
You have to be an insider as to what this mod does, and how to make it work.
Help those of us who are not obvious to the obvious.:06:

HertogJan
02-08-13, 06:54 PM
I did actually find this formula while perusing the SH3 forum:

Target Br
+ Own course
---------------
If addition is > 180°, then, -180
If addition is < 180°, then, +180

+Port aob
-Starboard aob
----------------
Target True course

No offense but why the calculations?

You can get true course and get speed at the same time and its easy.

When you get a contact report put a marker it on the Nav. map at the end of the Hydro track, wait 10min's and place another marker. Connect the 2 markers with the protractor, now you have its approximate heading which is good enough for a intercept course.

Once in visual range you can fine tune its course and get its speed.

Select the chronometer and zoom in on the Nav. Map, (if you have no map updates unchecked in the game settings) place a marker on the dot and press the chronometer, after 3min's place another marker on the dot, connect the markers and you'll have its speed an course.

Example: distance between the 2 marks after 3min's is a 1000yds, means the vessel is doing 10Kts.

I normally wait 15min's, then connect the dots and make my calculation. This way I get a near perfect true course and in addition get a feel of the destroyers patterns.
On my final run I set the PK, put in the speed, its heading and use the stadimeter for range. I only need to keep an eye on the dials for heading and fine tune the range a couple of times keeping my scope up time to a minimum.