PDA

View Full Version : Help with "3000 yard bearing tool"

Dorjun Driver
02-07-13, 10:48 PM
I'm am having no luck getting the "3000 yard bearing tool" to work with the following:

TMO 2.5
RSRDC/TMO 5.02
RSRDC 5.xx patch
OTC for RSRDC 5.02
OTC 16:9 for RSRDC 5.02
Bigger Better Protractors

Depending on where I put the tool in the stack, the game exhibits different behaviors, if it runs at all. It also crashes differently depending on which mission I choose. I'm flummoxed.

If I have to hand-edit some *.cfg files, I'm game. Can any of you submariners give me some pointers as to what to put where?

Thanks,
Dorj

HertogJan
02-08-13, 03:45 AM
Hi Dorjun Driver,

I used the same MOD configuration at one point except for the Bigger Better Protractor MOD and it worked fine, maybe remove that MOD and try it out.

Just a question, do you have the correct version for your screen resolution?

Dorjun Driver
02-08-13, 07:14 AM
I do indeed, HertogJan. I think I should forgo the bearing tool rather than dump the bigger protractors. The old peepers ain't quite what they used to be.:wah:

BigWalleye
02-08-13, 07:22 AM
DD, I have a TMO setup with exactly the same mods, in exactly the same order, and it works fine. Truth in modding:1) I also have a ton of mod soup between OTC 16:9 for RSRDC 502 and BBP, which shouldn't make it work better. and 2) When I load BBP (nearly the last mod I enable) JSGME reports that no files previously chanaged are going to be overwritten. So BBP is a VERY unobtrusive mod. IMAO, it is not likely to be your problem - unless you are not actually running at 16:9. If you are not, and some monitors which claim to be 16:9 but actually use edge clipping are not, then strange behaviors may result.

THE Dorjun?

Dorjun Driver
02-08-13, 08:25 AM
BW, I believe everything is jake vis my hardware. I'll jimmy around with BBT some more next time I'm in port.

If by THE Dorjun you mean the vessel launched in 1905 and featured in the December 1937 issue of National Geographic as she plied the Straits of Magellan, than yes. THAT Dorjun.

BigWalleye
02-08-13, 01:15 PM
If by THE Dorjun you mean the vessel launched in 1905 and featured in the December 1937 issue of National Geographic as she plied the Straits of Magellan, than yes. THAT Dorjun.

Seriously cool!

Dorjun Driver
02-08-13, 01:41 PM
For what it’s worth, I changed the screen resolution to windowed 1600x900, installed the appropriate BBT, and everything runs fine.

Downgrade me to simply bamboozled.

Headed for last place during the Classic Mariners' Regatta!

BigWalleye
02-08-13, 02:06 PM
You might want to try OTC 8.5:4.8 rather than 16:9. See if that let's you run full screen. That particular aspect ratio, IIRC, is intended to compensate for monitors which are advertized as 16:9 but actually edge-clip. BTW, quite a few (but not all) monitors allow you to turn off edge-clipping and run the full "advertized" screen aspect ratio. Sometimes it takes some plumbing around in the monitor set-up menus to find the setting to do this.

Oh yeah, and you did mention something about "the bearing tool" in one post. Are you also running the 3000-Yard (/Meter) Bearing Tool mod? Because it overwrites lots of files from both TMO and RSRDC.

Dorjun Driver
02-09-13, 11:16 AM
When I typed "BBT" I actually meant "3000 yard Bearing Tool", which is the one I've been having difficulties with. In windowed mode (1600x900) it works fine, just not in full screen mode at 1920x1080. I'll play around with it some more after this patrol.

jldjs
02-09-13, 01:39 PM
You may need to use the 3gb patch or Large Address Aware
fixer. That mod needs lots of memory.

Dorjun Driver
02-09-13, 02:36 PM
Thanks jldjs. I'll give LAA a try. Where might one obtain the 3gb patch if LAA doesn't solve the problem?

jldjs
02-09-13, 04:43 PM
Thanks jldjs. I'll give LAA a try. Where might one obtain the 3gb patch if LAA doesn't solve the problem?

Google it. I DL'd it a year ago but can't remember the URL. I've been playing SH4 on my MacBook but had to make the SH.exe 3gb on Windows and copy it over to my Mac. The 3gb patch when run on Windows let's u browse for the exe and it changes it, and makes a save of the original. I used it rather than LAA.

CapnScurvy
02-10-13, 10:07 AM
The "Large Address Aware" application can be found HERE (http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556). An explaination/how to of the "3Gb Switch" can be found HERE (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240617).

The game uses a lot of resources, A LOT OF THEM. Graphics is the number one killer of using the ram your system provides. One ship isn't going to hurt your system too much, but getting into a convoy of rendered ships, the system is going to slow down. Unlike the days when the game was first released (March 2007) when the "high end" computers maybe would offer a Gb of ram memory, todays average systems are using 3 to four times this amount. There are ways around getting more ram into play when using a modern system that has more ram than the game was designed for. If your system has over 3 Gb of ram, a program like LAA will help. You need to tell this older game to "go ahead, use more ram, it's available". That's what this little program does, tells the game to use more ram since it's available.

Try it and see if it doesn't help. It helped me with a modern system using an older game called "Sid Meiers Railroads". Stopped the CTD's.

I guess I should make a new bearing tool that's smaller than the 3000 yard version. The larger the screen resolution you use, the larger the bearing tool image needed to be in order to measure correctly. I've not looked in a while, but the 1920x1080 version is like several feet wide!! It takes up a lot of memory to render it on the map. Too much memory if your system isn't a real horse to pull the load. After all, the stock image for the sub icon on the Nav map is just a couple of Mb in size.

Dorjun Driver
02-11-13, 05:36 AM
Thanks Capn.

But what's up with this 3gB stuff? I could have sworn 640k would be more than ample.:har:

BigWalleye
02-11-13, 10:41 AM
What does the little "k" mean? :D

Dorjun Driver
02-11-13, 11:17 AM
tEN–tWENTY–fOUR.:stare:

BigWalleye
02-11-13, 07:41 PM
Oh yeah, I remember now. Memory is a little weak when recalling things from a previous millenium.:D

TorpX
02-12-13, 12:54 AM
But what's up with this 3gB stuff? I could have sworn 640k would be more than ample.:har:
HeHe, ample for what, our smilies?

:subsim: